Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
It wasn’t the manager putting gilt edge chances wide or straight at the keeper. :shrug:

Sometimes fans need to realise once they cross the white line, it’s up to them to perform at the highest level. Only so much a manager can do. He’s set them up and they created clear chances both halves. What more can he do?

Do you really think this lot walk on the pitch ready to walk through a brick wall for their manager? Doesn’t look like that for me, which suggests they have no faith in him!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yes. I’ve enjoyed watching us this season, even allowing for the disappointing results. Losing is never nice and losing to them is bitter. However, last season was simply woeful for the most part and I don’t miss that one bit.

Even if we are relegated, which I feel is slightly more likely than not, I hope Potter is retained to have a bash at the Championship. You can’t build anything if you change manager every season and we’ve seen tangible signs of progress this season, only for it to undone time and again by poor finishing. I don’t imagine for one moment that it would be easy to come back up again but it’s reasonable to think that we would be competitive.

Potter is still relatively new to management and is learning the craft. Our approach at Sheffield United suggests he is learning to a little more pragmatic in pursuit of results.

Team Potter.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Re: Manager v Player being to blame.

It seems simplistic to me to dismiss any criticism against the manager because he's not on the pitch playing. He picks the team, he picks the tactics. He should be responding to what he sees, if the players aren't following his instructions why is he leaving them on the pitch?

If you have a game in which someone keeps making the same mistake, isn't it your job as a coach to, well, coach those errors out of the player? So shouldn't there be an improvement? If there is no improvement, why keep picking them?

If you don't have the players that can do the job you want, why aren't you taking a different approach? Why are telling the press you're happy with what you've got and you don't need to sign anyone?

But there is still the issue that he can only do so much during the game. Even if he takes players off, he can only do that with three of them. He's stuck with the rest who may have been fine during training, and just not been able to do it in match day.

I think one win in 14 would suggest that the coach hasn't been doing enough to coach the team into a better performance, that the club hasn't done enough to provide him with the players to do a better job, and the players haven't stepped up and taken enough of any coaching on board.

It's a complex web of responsibility.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Well our recruitment team did and paid a lot of money for him
Many on here blamed Hughton for not bringing the best out of him and many said Potter would bring it out and show us his expensive silky skills.

Loool I agree. You gave Potter 6 years for what? Has achieved anything other than getting the team to pass more in their own area. It is so comical...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They have the better team.

They were awful today. Ayew’s chance was probably more difficult than March and Maupay’s. Football can be simple - today, take your friggin chances.

I disagree with [MENTION=18713]TottonSeagull[/MENTION], think the players are giving it everything, but pressure exposes your quality, and we’re lacking that quality in crucial moments.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did we? I thought for the most part we had no bloody idea wtf to do with the ball once we got into the final third. So easy to defend against

I watched this closely in the match. Mooy received the ball in great positions, then took 4, 5, 6 touches, killing the attacks, allowing CP to get everyone behind the ball. He wasn’t alone ... Trossard.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
That’s your Palace perspective.

Weren’t you worried at 0-0. The Palace end was dead quiet almost all the time.

I've been worried since Potter was appointed. Oh yes your a fan his, I hope your faith in him pays of. You were probably happy he got the 6 year contract as it will avoid bids for him from the top 4 PL clubs...

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
We've got a lot of problems. We're playing slow predictable football and look very wobbly at the back. I'm not convinced Potter even knows what he's trying to do now. It's a shame but I can't see him having much success here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here