Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Downing returning to the championship

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Don't know what point you are trying to make but the players those clubs are signing and spending are certainly turning a few heads. If we signed those type of players the feel good factor would be buzzing for the new season. After all it's what we all look forward to eh?
Both clubs missed out last year for one reason or another and instead of backing off they continue to strengthen. I would very surprised if either those clubs fail to make the top 6.

Makes sense to me.

I would be amazed if Derby and Boro don't take the two automatic positions this coming season. The only thing going against Derby might be Clement being a managerial rookie. It can be an unpredictable league though as is well documented.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't know what point you are trying to make but the players those clubs are signing and spending are certainly turning a few heads. If we signed those type of players the feel good factor would be buzzing for the new season. After all it's what we all look forward to eh?
Both clubs missed out last year for one reason or another and instead of backing off they continue to strengthen. I would very surprised if either those clubs fail to make the top 6.

Makes sense to me.

Agree with all of that.
My point was more about the use of the word ambition , especially at this time of year, to equate in this context purely with large transfer fees or high wage bills.
I think your point was more nuanced than that so apols.

albionite

May 20, 2009
5 year deal for a 31 year old. What's that all about?
New way to spread out wages to conform with ffp? Be interesting to see what he is on a week.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would be amazed if Derby and Boro don't take the two automatic positions this coming season. The only thing going against Derby might be Clement being a managerial rookie. It can be an unpredictable league though as is well documented.
Unless....

Albion

IN
Rhodes
Marshall
Bassong (loan)
Blanco (loan)

Pudil IN, Chicksen OUT
Zamora IN, O'Grady OUT

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
That unfortunately is a very sad indictment of the England national team. How many bang average players have they selected in the last 10 years? He's a classic example of a player who in his younger years showed vague promise, got massively overhyped and been damn average ever since. Hardly a great endorsement when you're 30 and coming to play in the Championship. If he was any tucking good he wouldn't be dropping down a division

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Great signing

Only last season, he was in the England squad

The Czech centre back Boro have on loan from Chelsea (Kalas sp?) is also good

If they can replace Bamford, they'll be up there

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
His form was so good for West Ham at the start of last season that he was recalled to the England squad.

That is a quality signing for anyone at our level. No doubt the people who are describing him as overrated are the sorts who think that anybody who signs for a Championship club other than Brighton isn't any good and anybody who does sign for us is a fantastic signing
I described him as overrated and i stand by that.

However I would be delighted if he'd signed for us as he would be very good at championship level. That doesn't mean he was all that in the premier league and internationally. It really is a sign of how poor England have been if he's really got 40 odd caps.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Reminds me of when Craig Bellamy dropped down to this league. Cracking signing for this level.

You look at the players Derby and Boro are signing and it puts it in perspective what we are up against. Even Wednesday are spending big.

He's no where near as good as Craig Bellamy that's for sure. Anyone can see that

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Craig Bellamy is/was an exceptional talent. Downing isn't in the same league as a player like that. When he signed for Liverpool I thought it was a joke. He was never good enough for a top team. Lo and behold he was absolutely useless there. I think championship is his level. We're so desperate for young talent in this country that a young player like Downing got hyped up out of all reality when he was first on the scene, made a decent career out of it yet was never actually that good

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
He's not dissimilar to Solly March. We'd all like to think he's going to be a great player but the cold harsh reality is that he lacks ability in certain departments. He can't shoot, not particularly good in terms of vision and passing. Very fast and skillful but without the all round ability will never make the higher grade. Same as Downing, when has he ever scored goals or been amazing on both feet, setting up numerous goals? He's not an exceptionally gifted footballer all round. Same goes for Bridcutt, very good in certain departments, will never reach the top grade. Nothing against these players but to be a top, top player you need to be exceptionally gifted in many departments

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Same goes for Ulloa. Amazing with his head, as good as anyone, great finisher; very talented footballer. But we could of all Leceister that he wouldn't make it in the premier league. He lacks pace, not quick enough to be one of the top strikers. With pace he would be exceptionally good and we wouldn't have even signed him. He would already have been at a top club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here