Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Downing returning to the championship

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Reminds me of when Craig Bellamy dropped down to this league. Cracking signing for this level.

You look at the players Derby and Boro are signing and it puts it in perspective what we are up against. Even Wednesday are spending big.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Reminds me of when Craig Bellamy dropped down to this league. Cracking signing for this level.

You look at the players Derby and Boro are signing and it puts it in perspective what we are up against. Even Wednesday are spending big.

Twas ever thus in the Championship. And we spend big too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Middlesbro seem to be saying f...k FFP lets gamble on promotion and go for it.

Not all all. FFP allows for a considerable amount of investment/spend on the squad and Steve Gibson is obviously not short of a few bob.
But even signings like this wouldn't necessarily mean that Boro were ignoring or falling foul of FFP. Probably in the same way that Albion have met FFP and still spent millions.
More via http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-financial-fair-play-work-9583627

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I saw a rumour the other day that player we were after from Boro would be coming to us to help fund the Downing deal.
Lee someone-or-other?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Midldesbro have got a surfeit of wingers now. They did before.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am quite jealous of the ambition Derby and Boro are showing.

What do you think ambition means ? Spend a lot of money on wages and fees ?
Is that it ? Are QPR ambitious ? Or Albion not ambitious because we spent a fortune and it didn't work out ?
Are Ipswich not as ambitious as Norwich as they both reached the top 6 but Norwich spent their parachute money and far more than the tractor boys and nicked promotion ?
Is it merely the size of your cheque book ?
What about Bristol ? Or Charlton ? No ambition there ?
I hate the word ambition reframed as merely a financial yardstick.
Makes no sense.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not all all. FFP allows for a considerable amount of investment/spend on the squad and Steve Gibson is obviously not short of a few bob.
But even signings like this wouldn't necessarily mean that Boro were ignoring or falling foul of FFP. Probably in the same way that Albion have met FFP and still spent millions.
More via http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-financial-fair-play-work-9583627
How can Middlesbrough afford to sign Jordan Rhodes with their small crowds, and still stay within Financial Foul Play, yet it appears we can't.

Or can we ? ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is that it ? Are QPR ambitious ? Or Albion not ambitious because we spent a fortune and it didn't work out ?
Are Ipswich not as ambitious as Norwich as they both reached the top 6 but Norwich spent their parachute money and far more than the tractor boys and nicked promotion ?
Makes no sense.

Money is important of course but it's selling your club to quality players who are capable of making a difference and have a track record at this level. I know you will argue the point but the Albion no longer seem capable of attracting this kind of midfielder, winger or forward regardless of how much we spend. We have a while to go yet and your faith in the Albion hierarchy will hopefully be born out.

We seem to have signed well so far this season but we are still very light on creativity, pace and goal scorers.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
How can Middlesbrough afford to sign Jordan Rhodes with their small crowds, and still stay within Financial Foul Play, yet it appears we can't.

Or can we ? ???

Well they haven't signed him. And their crowds/match day revenue are far less important than having a wealthy benefactor who will fund all the losses and large playing budgets. Like us.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
They've got previous. They signed Paul Merson from Arsenal when Boro were in the second tier in the late 90's. Merson was still an England international and he more than helped them on their way back into the Premier League. Remember them getting to the league cup final that season with Merson largely involved. Think they knocked Liverpool out over two legs in the semi-final.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Makes no sense.

Don't know what point you are trying to make but the players those clubs are signing and spending are certainly turning a few heads. If we signed those type of players the feel good factor would be buzzing for the new season. After all it's what we all look forward to eh?
Both clubs missed out last year for one reason or another and instead of backing off they continue to strengthen. I would very surprised if either those clubs fail to make the top 6.

Makes sense to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here