Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Steve Wright Ageism Row

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
ITV currently have got Peter Purves and Trisha Goddard debating about Steve Wright getting binned at 67 after 27 years on Radio 2 in favour of Scott Mills.
Some good news from Radio 2 at last. I listened to Wrighty on Radio 1 in the 80s and liked (not loved) the show. I no longer like his show, he became irritating long ago. He'll introduce Bobby the traffic report lady as 'the Bobster' like they're a pair of teenagers :facepalm: And do we even need to mention DJ Silly Boy and Serious Jock'in', no 'G'? **** me, what a load of shit.

I'm not sure I'd like Simon Mayo as a person, but I liked his show, so deciding he had to present with a female was a huge Radio 2 cockup.

Conversely I think I'd like Zoe Ball in real life, but Christ on a bike her show is shit. 'That's incredible darling, I love you, you're amazing. Bye lovey. Oh isn't she fabulous.'

The only thing Radio 2 really has going for it is that there aren't paid for ads.

And this:
I used to like Vine. A smattering of post-punk music and lengthy chats with experts about eg health issues.

In the last 2 or 3 years, including on his C5 prog, he’s morphed into a tabloid-esque shit stirrer. Baiting both sides of debates, to get callers. Almost every day the very same topics - lockdowns, Johnson, does Starmer lack charisma? Kelvin McKenzie with a posh accent.
Some of the topics are mind-crushingly daft - like 'Was Hitler actually a decent guy', followed by playing devils advocate to give equal weight to both sides of the argument.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good one.

I know 3 Evans fanatics. 2 in my family, 1 a colleague, all thinking of him as saintly. “How do you like your (fkn) cornflakes in the morning?” Piss off Evans.

When he recently left the BBC and claimed (cough) it wasn’t for the money, my colleague went through the stages of grief. Eventually settling on not liking him forever … when she realised he lied and was very, very money driven.

If only she’d listened to the rest of us who’d always called him a Grade A Cock.

Does he still stick his nose into the BBC’s otherwise excellent coverage of the British Open golf? Horrible seeing his mutt.

I worked in a customer’s house recently and he was on their radio (Virgin) ?? all I heard was “me, me, me, me” also banging on about golf like he was some expert…….I suppose he’s got bored of being an expert on expensive cars and he’s now into golf.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I worked in a customer’s house recently and he was on their radio (Virgin) ?? all I heard was “me, me, me, me” also banging on about golf like he was some expert…….I suppose he’s got bored of being an expert on expensive cars and he’s now into golf.

To summarise, Chris Evans is a navel-gazing ****.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Ask anyone in the broadcasting industry and Steve Wright is a naturally gifted broadcaster with a passion for radio who has been attracting and retaining daily audiences of multple-millions for over 40 years.

Like Jimmy Savile. :lolol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

We sometimes have Evans on in the morning. Not because anyone in our house likes him in particular - the Clamp was bang on the money - but because our radio tastes are so far apart Virgin radio is one we can all tolerate. I appreciate this is somewhat ironic for someone as divisive as Chris Evans

Anyway, all the hits are still there :

1. Talking over the start and end of songs, 2. Letting other team members speak on air but quickly shutting them down if they don't express Evans opinion
3. Talking with gusto about Golf or F1 but absolutely everything is completely wrong.
4. Raising money for charity which is really an excuse for Chris to talk about rich and generous he is.
5. Promoting Sky TV programmes which are "Brilliant" "Fantastic" "You've got to see this* which he has clearly never seen
6. Talking too much and playing too few songs as it's all about him.

Bellend.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Some good news from Radio 2 at last. I listened to Wrighty on Radio 1 in the 80s and liked (not loved) the show. I no longer like his show, he became irritating long ago. He'll introduce Bobby the traffic report lady as 'the Bobster' like they're a pair of teenagers :facepalm: And do we even need to mention DJ Silly Boy and Serious Jock'in', no 'G'? **** me, what a load of shit.

I'm not sure I'd like Simon Mayo as a person, but I liked his show, so deciding he had to present with a female was a huge Radio 2 cockup.

Conversely I think I'd like Zoe Ball in real life, but Christ on a bike her show is shit. 'That's incredible darling, I love you, you're amazing. Bye lovey. Oh isn't she fabulous.'

The only thing Radio 2 really has going for it is that there aren't paid for ads.

And this:
Some of the topics are mind-crushingly daft - like 'Was Hitler actually a decent guy', followed by playing devils advocate to give equal weight to both sides of the argument.

I looked after Simon Mayo when he lost his Dad, he was a really nice bloke.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was trying to post 'radio rap' by attila yesterday, but the musical version isn't on youtube.

A snippet:

"Like a plug-hole clogged with pubic hair
Old Steve Wright clogs up the air"

That was in 1984 :lolol:

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I was trying to post 'radio rap' by attila yesterday, but the muical version isn't on youtube.

A snippet:

"Like a plug-hole clogged with pubic hair
Old Steve Wright clogs up the air"

That was in 1984 :lolol:

Wasn't The Smith's Panic - or the Hang the DJ element more to the point - written about Steve Wright?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn't The Smith's Panic - or the Hang the DJ element more to the point - written about Steve Wright?

We don't talk about Morrissey anymore ???

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Chris Evans. Now there’s a fake, insincere, sycophantic, over stimulated little twerp, if ever there was one.

Loved it when he left The Big Breakfast and the infinitely funnier and genuine Johnny Vaughan too over.

Evans’ career from the very start has grated and screeched at an astonishingly successful speed. I couldn’t stand him form the moment he appeared.

One of the many personalities that latched onto “cool Britannia” and “Brit pop”, along with Zoe Ball, Mark Lamar, Sara Cox etc who have no discernible talent of their own but got papped a few times out on the razz with the Gallaghers and Blur etc and got to interview them (poorly) on prime time telly.

They only ever got in the way when I was watching music programs. Just **** off Evans and let them play the music.

Evans’ whole technique is based around sucking up to the guests and pretending to like “cool” things like vintage cars and The Italian Job. Or whatever the guests said they liked. Hearing him talk about football was excruciating. Let alone the endless stories of his family.

A true example of an irritating little geek, with no personality or tastes of his own, who landed with his arse in the butter. He can’t believe his bloody luck. His “zany personality” is off-the-rack, paint by numbers, 6th form and as insincere as it is irritating.

I take some comfort from the many tales of musicians and industry people that think he’s an egotistical little ****.

But people seem to like him. So once again, I’m the bozo on this bus.

Apparently not if the thumbs up are anything to go by,

But you have omitted from your tirade the fact that the ginger twerp completely ruined Top Gear with his hysterical shrieking. I watched one episode with him and didn't go back to it until Freddie and Paddy joined (although I'm still not sure what the third fella is for).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I looked after Simon Mayo when he lost his Dad, he was a really nice bloke.
That's good to hear, maybe I misjudged him (while liking his show)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apparently not if the thumbs up are anything to go by,

But you have omitted from your tirade the fact that the ginger twerp completely ruined Top Gear with his hysterical shrieking. I watched one episode with him and didn't go back to it until Freddie and Paddy joined (although I'm still not sure what the third fella is for).

I loved it when Evans got booted off TG, viewing figures had crashed. Vintage BBC, assuming that one of their perceived crown jewels, should take another lucrative slot. His qualifications …. a rich **** who owned nice cars.

By contrast Clarkson and May were fine writers/journalists, captivating presenters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here