Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Steve Wright Ageism Row

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I went to M&S for nosh/wine on Sat

So many of their clothes are close but no cigar.

They do however make decent slim fit trousers. perfect for work, miles better than sta-prest, at least since levis stopped making them!

Oh, and Steve Wright is well past his sell by date. always thought he was dire. Daily Mail radio.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I went to M&S for nosh/wine on Sat

So many of their clothes are close but no cigar.

They do however make decent slim fit trousers. perfect for work, miles better than sta-prest, at least since levis stopped making them!

Oh, and Steve Wright is well past his sell by date. always thought he was dire. Daily Mail radio.

They are fine for work items. I have some good handkerchiefs form there too. I visit when I’m feeling nostalgic. The staff are darling and tea and a bun in the cafe is a treat. I like it but it’s an occasional thing as I do not wish to succumb just yet, I’m only 45.

Anyway, yes. R2 is a dire station that millions of people love. But then people listen to Coldplay and voted for Hitler, so they are not a great measure of worthiness.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Steve Wright is awful. I don’t listen to radio 2 except for Popmaster when I remember to tune in. Can’t stand Ken Bruce apart from PM as he doesn’t witter on, just asks the questions. The contestants who do endless hello’s to people who are sitting in the next room get me too annoyed though.

For music it’s KEXP Seattle (after 1pm) and BBC Radio 6, except for Lauren Laverne who talks far too much and seems very insincere to me. I enjoy Marconie and Radcliffe, except when they eat crisps on air which makes me want to punch something.

And it’s BBC Radio 4 for everything else. Quizzes, some comedy, reliable news, debate, history, art, science and all that lovely stuff.

Who is Radio 2 for? Hysterical women on their way to Hen do’s, angry trades-people and frustrated housewives. It’s the Daily Mail of the airwaves. Dreadful station. Cannot think of one good presenter on the station. Tell a lie, Liza Tarbuck can be quite funny and doesn’t take it all too seriously. The rest are shitehouse.

Radio 4 is amazing, all of it!!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
According to The Mirror. Who to be fair, seem somewhat obsessed with the man...

For breakfast, he usually asks for poached or scrambled eggs on brown toast from a restaurant called Avelli’s, porridge from Make Mine or Eat, a small bacon or sausage butty with ketchup from Eat and a skinny latte with one sweetener.

Kinda impressed that he's in for breakfast when his show doesn't start until 2pm - although I guess it's funded by licence fee-payers.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
There was a time on Radio 1 in the 80s where he pioneered the Zoo format (as I believe it is called) and he was head and shoulders above most of his colleagues (John Peel being in a league of his own). Problem is the likes of Chris Evans came along and did it better and Steve Wright never moved on.

He is still going to do some things for Radio 2 but 27 years is a good run. The likes of Ken Bruce and, previously, Terry Wogan could keep going into their 70s because even if they aren't cutting edge they did move with the times.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Radio 4 is amazing, all of it!!!

I’d agree with the exception of some of their comedy. Especially The Now Show.

And Woman’s Hour has gone shite in the last few years. But yes, the vast majority of their output is superb.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Kinda impressed that he's in for breakfast when his show doesn't start until 2pm - although I guess it's funded by licence fee-payers.

Agreed. He is just the sort of dinosaur the Beeb need to be getting shot of. The boomer, “what’s for me”? generation who are on the gravy train and rude to lower paid staff have no place in a modern BBC. Well done to Aunty for recognising this.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
According to The Mirror. Who to be fair, seem somewhat obsessed with the man ;

“And they say instructions given by producers to broadcasting assistants to make sure the station’s star DJs are taken care of tell their own story.

One colleague says a typical instruction for when Steve starts work each day would begin with the words: “I’ve one piece of advice: just get the meals right! F*** the rest up, but just get that right and you’re sailing.”

The insider goes on: “Assistants are told to get Steve’s breakfast and lunch, and other things he might want including arrangements for his visits to his mum.

“After a list of production tasks, they will be told about Steve’s ‘feeders’, his favourite restaurant takeaways.”

Detailing his food desires, the colleague says assistants are told: “The producer will ring you when Steve gets in to come to get his order. He’ll tell you what he wants for both feedings and will give you money.”

For breakfast, he usually asks for poached or scrambled eggs on brown toast from a restaurant called Avelli’s, porridge from Make Mine or Eat, a small bacon or sausage butty with ketchup from Eat and a skinny latte with one sweetener.

For lunch, he insists on a baked potato from Avelli’s or chilli chicken box from Leon’s or he may opt for a chicken pie from Eat.

From recent photos of him I think the skinny latte is a case of too little too late...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ken Bruce is 71.

Good point. Steve Wright hasn't been removed because he's old, he's been removed because he's an irritating ****.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually heard his R2 show, I'm basing that observation on the few times I heard him on Radio 1.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good point. Steve Wright hasn't been removed because he's old, he's been removed because he's an irritating ****.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually heard his R2 show, I'm basing that observation on the few times I heard him on Radio 1.

I listened to his show a few times on R2. I had an ex who loved all things radio 2. An EX.
Yep, he is excruciating. His Sunday morning love songs show is even worse. Many a Sunday in the car with her insisting I play it. The most mawkish sentimental horseshit I have ever had the displeasure of listening to.

But she was great with the kids and took it up the arse, so swings and roundabouts.

Funnily enough he never played my shout out and request.

“The Clamp from Sussex says love the show and a loving shout out to his girlfriend of 9 years who he says is great with the kids and….”

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Thinking about the original title of this thread, and having been sidetracked myself by the M&S bit, it seems a bit daft to talk about something like this in terms of ageism. Whether it’s the BBC or a commercial station, they need to make decisions and judgements about the style of their broadcasting, the audience they’re appealing to and so on, so any implication of wrongful dismissal, for example, would surely go out the window.

Obviously a contract is a contract, but if you no longer “fit”, then you would expect to be moved aside, and SW seemed to accept this anyway when interviewed last week. Times change. Fashions change.

I know Ken Bruce is older, but I like him and lots of other people seem to also. Personally I thought that Terry Wogan was enormously overrated, but realise I’m probably in a minority of one there…… but he stayed on for a reason - people liked him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Thinking about the original title of this thread, and having been sidetracked myself by the M&S bit, it seems a bit daft to talk about something like this in terms of ageism. Whether it’s the BBC or a commercial station, they need to make decisions and judgements about the style of their broadcasting, the audience they’re appealing to and so on, so any implication of wrongful dismissal, for example, would surely go out the window.

Obviously a contract is a contract, but if you no longer “fit”, then you would expect to be moved aside, and SW seemed to accept this anyway when interviewed last week. Times change. Fashions change.

I know Ken Bruce is older, but I like him and lots of other people seem to also. Personally I thought that Terry Wogan was enormously overrated, but realise I’m probably in a minority of one there…… but he stayed on for a reason - people liked him.

I agree with you re Terry Wogan,so there are at least two of us! A little bit went a long way. Never liked his TV chat show either.
I remember Jimmy Young apparently getting the hump when he was ‘retired’ and replaced with that utter wet t—t, Jeremy Vine, the epitome of overpaid mediocrity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here