Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward deal NOT done (yet?)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Hmmm. Fair point; and eloquently made to boot.

Yep - and still no Stephen Ward. Oh well.......no doubt the club are trying hard to sign someone.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is typical Albion. In the absence of any real transfer dealings we'll talk about and celebrate the signing of a loan player from last year. Got to love it.

I'm more interested in who else we are talking to (both for Ward's position and others.) I wonder what other options we've been pursuing.

It's time for a signing or two please BHAFC. Pull your finger out!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
A sudden wave of enthusiasm has come over me today and I'm convinced Ward is going to sign for us by the end of the day.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
From Birmingham Mail:

Kevin Doyle and Stephen Ward will train with the so-called ‘bomb squad’.

The pair will not travel to Cheltenham on Friday night, nor are they in a 24-man travelling tour party to Ireland as Kenny Jackett looks to sell.

Brighton want Ward but Doyle’s situation is complex.

“At present they will both be training with ‘group three’ and neither of them will be travelling to Ireland,” he said.

“Nothing has happened on either of them – there has been no contact from any club to us. We’re in a situation where both of them are just coming back and working hard at pre-season and no loan moves are imminent and nothing is on the horizon.

No one is phoning us necessarily about these guys and as we stand at the moment, they won’t be travelling with us to Ireland.”

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
From Birmingham Mail:

Kevin Doyle and Stephen Ward will train with the so-called ‘bomb squad’.

The pair will not travel to Cheltenham on Friday night, nor are they in a 24-man travelling tour party to Ireland as Kenny Jackett looks to sell.

Brighton want Ward but Doyle’s situation is complex.

“At present they will both be training with ‘group three’ and neither of them will be travelling to Ireland,” he said.

“Nothing has happened on either of them – there has been no contact from any club to us. We’re in a situation where both of them are just coming back and working hard at pre-season and no loan moves are imminent and nothing is on the horizon.

No one is phoning us necessarily about these guys and as we stand at the moment, they won’t be travelling with us to Ireland.”

The bits you have emboldened are BS, shirley? I can't believe we've made no contact with Wolves concerning Ward, whatever the truth of the imminence of him signing for us. That's just not credible.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The bits you have emboldened are BS, shirley? I can't believe we've made no contact with Wolves concerning Ward, whatever the truth of the imminence of him signing for us. That's just not credible.

Express and Star have a little more detail than Mail:

Jackett said Doyle, who had been attracting Premier League new boys QPR and Ward, who has been negotiating with Brighton, took the news well however.

So it appears we are trying to get a deal done with Ward, but haven't agreed anything with Wolves.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Jackett said Doyle, who had been attracting Premier League new boys QPR and Ward, who has been negotiating with Brighton, took the news well however.

So it appears we are trying to get a deal done with Ward, but haven't agreed anything with Wolves.

Thanks for the response and further information. I guess that's just about possible, but it would be pointless agreeing personal terms with Ward without at least having some idea about what the fee (if any) would be, wouldn't it? Surely, at least some degree of parallel talks would be going on?

Anyway, I guess we'll see. All I can say is that I will be very pleased if he does sign - I rated him last season and just have a feeling (based on precisely nothing) that he might do even better under Sami than he did under "the bottler" (provocative, I know; but it's kinda how I feel about Oscar now).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wouldn't hold your breath, it was 16 August last season that we signed Ward

Just saying like :whistle:

*edit* cue immediate press release

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

As far as I've read from the Express and Star is we've agreed the price but it's the contract that's being negotiated. And so it should be.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Just on the Argus website from Jackett this morning:

Jackett revealed Wolves had not received any bid for Ward or Doyle, who has been linked with QPR.

He said: “Nothing has happened on either of them – there has been no contact from any club.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Jackett revealed Wolves had not received any bid for Ward or Doyle, who has been linked with QPR.

He said: “Nothing has happened on either of them – there has been no contact from any club.”

Have the Albion said at any stage that they are interested in bringing Ward back? Seen lots of speculation but don't recall any club comments.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

That is bizarre

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Have the Albion said at any stage that they are interested in bringing Ward back? Seen lots of speculation but don't recall any club comments.

There was something from either Wolves or the Albion about a month or so ago. Can't be arsed to dig it out though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

trying not to be rude here
but have they commented on anything at all
cards very close to the chest
suddenly it will happen, lets just hope its all good when it does :smile:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure what Steve Jackett means when he says there's been no contact. Perhaps he means recently. He said this about 10 days ago.

"There has been some contact with Jez (Moxey, chief executive) – Brighton have been in touch during the course of the summer.
"It’s dovetailed with them appointing a new manager. Nothing has been agreed so there's enough of a distance for a deal not to have been done yet.
"But at least there has been some contact. They've expressed an interest through the summer.
"Stephen had a good year last season and I'm sure he'll be looking to build on it.
"He's said publicly he'd like to stay at Brighton. I'll see him and talk to him."

via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11309322.Ward_deal_for_Albion_not_close__says_Wolves_boss/

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here