Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward deal NOT done (yet?)

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
After the Sammy Lee event the Club probably are holding fire in case there is a last minute change of mind?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Now let's just hope we don't get a late intervention from one of the parachute payment brigade.........

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After the Sammy Lee event the Club probably are holding fire in case there is a last minute change of mind?
If it's signed, it's too late to change his mind. Different with Twatty Lee, as assistants aren't sold for £millions, they just have to work their notice.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
If it's signed, it's too late to change his mind. Different with Twatty Lee, as assistants aren't sold for £millions, they just have to work their notice.

Or compensation is paid and with the Saints flushed with money at present, I would not discard the thought we may well have received some.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sami appears to have a certain 'warmth' about him that OG did not, and hopefully that, along with his reputation as a top player, will carry some weight with prospective signings.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Good. A decent Centre Back and the defence is sorted. Midfield seems well stocked too. A keeper and another forward and that's not a bad squad, obviously this depends on any players leaving.

If the formation and set up against Lewes is anything to go by Ward will have a great time playing for Sami. Camped on the touch line motoring into the oppositions 18 yard box. He was far too restrained under OG in my opinion.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good. A decent Centre Back and the defence is sorted. Midfield seems well stocked too. A keeper and another forward and that's not a bad squad, obviously this depends on any players leaving.

If the formation and set up against Lewes is anything to go by Ward will have a great time playing for Sami. Camped on the touch line motoring into the oppositions 18 yard box. He was far too restrained under OG in my opinion.

Would go along with most of this, especially the formation at Lewes. It was noticeable that the full backs were far more advanced and hugged the touchline, with the wide forwards tucked in and at least one, often two, central midfielders much closer to the centre backs.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'll climb tentatively off the fence and say I suspect the O/P has good info on this one.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Would go along with most of this, especially the formation at Lewes. It was noticeable that the full backs were far more advanced and hugged the touchline, with the wide forwards tucked in and at least one, often two, central midfielders much closer to the centre backs.

A shape and style similar to that used by Germany?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was there anyone from the Dev squad to cover here? (Just asking :))

I believe there are a couple of lads in the DS who are thought to have decent potential in that area. Saw Glen Rea play at Lewes the other week, and while he was hardly tested by their attack, he looked confident, seemed to be calling the shots when it was him and Dunk at the back, and demanded the ball, which is good to see from a 19 year old.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A shape and style similar to that used by Germany?

I'm tempted to accuse you of being an eternal optimist -- maybe, but we simply don't have the standard of players to replicate Germany. But the comparison does indicate that the German system is so much more fluid, with brilliantly intelligent movement from Muller, and Lahm who really should rank as one of the best full-backs of all time (not entirely convinced by Howedes, however). Also, the German midfield is different in that Schweinsteiger lies deepest, but he's not a classic destructive defensive midfield player a la Makelele or even Bridcutt, whereas Khadeira is more mobile, and Kroos plays slightly more advanced with the aim of conducting proceedings and finding pockets of space that their forward players create with their movement. Our midfield players have different attributes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or compensation is paid and with the Saints flushed with money at present, I would not discard the thought we may well have received some.
Given what the club wrote, I don't think we were. Our club said we could have made him work his notice, but it would have been churlish, so they didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here