Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Dobbie

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
At the end of the day i think i would have been underwhelmed had Brighton signed him, and even less so had we been in the Prem and given a big cash windfall.

I think all things considered so would I at that price, If there is one thing that can be said, it is that Peterborough is very good at selling players.

Benzhiyi

Feb 8, 2004
Of course you do hypocrite.
So taking the piss because we are probably the only club in the country that shares a car park with a university, gives you a chance to laugh at BHA.
And you find all kinds of willy waving tedious, but 10 hours after you posting that here, you are posting this on BBS?

You do realise that thread is tongue-in-cheek, chap?

Or do you genuinely believe Palace fans think you'll all turn up to the Amex next season in Spanish bikinis, as suggested in the post below mine?

'Sick of the willy waving' doesn't equate to 'no bragging rights or pisstaking on either side of the fence'.

Without the latter we'd have nothing to talk about over post-REMF pints.

Take a chill pill, sir. And perhaps even join me for a beer in Lewes next April. Unless you're frightened you may actually enjoy talking footy with a Palace fan? :)

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Ok, he scored 7 goals in 9 game and it was decided that he was worth £500,000 rising to £750,000. He then scores 6 goals in 20 games and you guys say his value has risen by £2 million in those 6 months. He was young and had sell on value 6 months ago. Maybe if he carried on his goal scoring form I could understan how that £2 million increase is a fair price but as I said hes goal ratio is not much better than CMS and worse than Ulloa.
Good day to you Andy. Casting stats aside, I think the key issue here is potential. Palace obviously see some in Gayle, although it's most definitely a risk. I think in 3 seasons in the Championship, CMS has pretty much demonstrated the ceiling of his potential.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Good day to you Andy. Casting stats aside, I think the key issue here is potential. Palace obviously see some in Gayle, although it's most definitely a risk. I think in 3 seasons in the Championship, CMS has pretty much demonstrated the ceiling of his potential.

It's 2 seasons in the Championship actually.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's 2 seasons in the Championship actually.

Didnt he have a season with The Posh?

Also Norwich stayed up by buying young British players who would give 110% every game, its not a bad way to go as if Palace do go down they wont have spent Millions on mercenary's

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
£3m seems a lot for Gayle, but I guess they can afford it. As for Dobbie, if we do get £850k for the fella then we've done well. Glad to read that they are finally going to invest a bit of money in Selhurst Park, the facilities there for away fans are archaic.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Where did you get my picture from ?

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
£3m seems a lot for Gayle, but I guess they can afford it. As for Dobbie, if we do get £850k for the fella then we've done well. Glad to read that they are finally going to invest a bit of money in Selhurst Park, the facilities there for away fans are archaic.

The facilities in the AW are very poor, it was always my least favourite stand once the terraced enclosure was converted. It still has a great atmosphere when full though (open goal for Brighton fans there)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
He had a full season in the Championship for Peterborough, scoring 8 goals. You bought him the following season from League 1 is my recollection.

Mackail-Smith had a slow start to life as a Peterborough United striker, playing only rarely in his first season in League Two. But when the side had reached league 1 he took up a regular forward position in the first team and he[5] linked up well with the then Peterborough United striker Aaron McLean, Mclean would later move to Hull City in 2010.

Steve Claridge posted a scouting report on 23 September 2008 on Mackail-Smith he described him as a "a rampaging Nordic Viking with his long blond hair",[5] and he was impressed by the way he would pick up the ball and run at defenders, attacking at every opportunity in what Claridge described as a positive way. Mackail Smith managed to rack up 35 goals for the club during the 2010–11 season. The 35 goals that he scored during that season made him the most prolific scorer in England for the season and also bagged him the coveted prize of Football League One Player of the Year Award.[6][7]

His then manger Darren Ferguson described him as a hard working front man who has an excellent goal to game ratio. When Mackail Smith was interviewed by BBC Sport in June 2011 he was quoted in saying that[8]“ I want to play at the highest level I can attain and I want to play in the Premier League” and he continued to say that “Though obviously it all depends on what kind of club comes in for me”. On 29 May 2011 Mackail-Smith scored the second goal in the 3–0 win against Huddersfield Town at Old Trafford to clinch promotion for Peterborough United to the Championship.

We brought him in July 2011.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Mackail-Smith had a slow start to life as a Peterborough United striker, playing only rarely in his first season in League Two. But when the side had reached league 1 he took up a regular forward position in the first team and he[5] linked up well with the then Peterborough United striker Aaron McLean, Mclean would later move to Hull City in 2010.

Steve Claridge posted a scouting report on 23 September 2008 on Mackail-Smith he described him as a "a rampaging Nordic Viking with his long blond hair",[5] and he was impressed by the way he would pick up the ball and run at defenders, attacking at every opportunity in what Claridge described as a positive way. Mackail Smith managed to rack up 35 goals for the club during the 2010–11 season. The 35 goals that he scored during that season made him the most prolific scorer in England for the season and also bagged him the coveted prize of Football League One Player of the Year Award.[6][7]

His then manger Darren Ferguson described him as a hard working front man who has an excellent goal to game ratio. When Mackail Smith was interviewed by BBC Sport in June 2011 he was quoted in saying that[8]“ I want to play at the highest level I can attain and I want to play in the Premier League” and he continued to say that “Though obviously it all depends on what kind of club comes in for me”. On 29 May 2011 Mackail-Smith scored the second goal in the 3–0 win against Huddersfield Town at Old Trafford to clinch promotion for Peterborough United to the Championship.

Most Palace fans had a good idea of who CMS was when you bought him, as he played against us in the Championship during one of Posh's customary relegation seasons. Came across as a grafter rather than a potentially top PL prospect.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

He had 1 season in the championship with Posh 2009/10

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
The facilities in the AW are very poor, it was always my least favourite stand once the terraced enclosure was converted. It still has a great atmosphere when full though (open goal for Brighton fans there)
Our 1-0 win there is probably my favourite ever away game to be fair.....

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Exactly. Nothing like winning at a horrible run down ground full of hostile boneheads, in a disgusting suburb of south London.

You can't buy memories like those.

:)
Perhaps it's worth noting that people are happy to endure the surroundings you describe if the product on the pitch is enjoyable. Conversely, all the padded seats and plastic clappers in the world are scant consolation when your team serves up a horror show ;)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Most Palace fans had a good idea of who CMS was when you bought him, as he played against us in the Championship during one of Posh's customary relegation seasons. Came across as a grafter rather than a potentially top PL prospect.

Precisely how I see CMS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here