Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Dobbie

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
Yes unproven. He's played 2/3 of a season at Championship level. I've not said he's shit but £4m is a lot of money for such a lack of experience.

Admit it, if that was us spunking that much cash on a player with that much limited experience you'd be wetting your already soiled pants.

I think I'd be more receptive to the lecture on this if it wasn't coming from the fan of a club that spent over £2.5m (same as we are on Gayle) on a striker that in three attempts at the championship has failed to register more goals in it in one season than Gayle did in half a season.

Just a thought.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Yes I have seen many posts by him and wigman and it is little wonder you all like them.

Because they're both capable of defending their team and engaging in a bit of banter without having a massive strop?

I can see why you'd find that difficult to come to terms with.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think I'd be more receptive to the lecture on this if it wasn't coming from the fan of a club that spent over £2.5m (same as we are on Gayle) on a striker that in three attempts at the championship has failed to register more goals in it in one season than Gayle did in half a season.

Just a thought.
And this, in a nutshell, is what has caused the arguments. It has been widely reported that you are spending considerably more than that,and more than we did on CMS but for some peculiar reason none of you will acknowledge it and just brush over it. I shall not waste any more time in this train wreck of a thread as you only read and listen to what you want to believe. Cheers

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
How on earth has this thread gathered 23 pages of debate?

Exactly, it was a thread started by a Brighton fan about an ex player. Nobody asked the Palace fans to chip in. If Palace fans want to diss any of our players ex or not, on their own board, then fair play. I have no interest in looking in on their board, so would not comment there.
I was not impressed with Dobbie and was pleased when he left and rather surprised the Palace gave him a shot. Good business for us imo.
As for moving on to another new signing for Palace, who has not even played for them yet, no opinion and not bothered.
All this thread seems to have done is attract gatecrashers to what was an opinion on a Brighton forum about an ex player, and then turned into a thread about the comings and goings of what is going on at a different club.
I can not see either Dobbie or Gayle having much impact on the Prem.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
And this, in a nutshell, is what has caused the arguments. It has been widely reported that you are spending considerably more than that,and more than we did on CMS but for some peculiar reason none of you will acknowledge it and just brush over it. I shall not waste any more time in this train wreck of a thread as you only read and listen to what you want to believe. Cheers

You spent £2.5m on CMS (and quite probably more with certain add ons) as a newly promoted championship club with nowt but League 1 income leading up to it with a mediocre £4m per annum due your way by means of TV monies. That is over half of your projected TV income on one striker (and more on fees than we spent in the last three seasons on all our signings combined jncidentally). You did have other revenue streams in fairness but not enough to warrant such a big fee IMO.

We have spent on Gayle by the most reliable source we have (a twitter individual with known and established links to the Palace hierarchy) that the fee is £2.75m up front. It may raise to around £4m if all add-ons are met and as with the Zaha transfer chances of them all being met could well be unlikely.

So we are dealing with a real difference of £0.25m except we are approaching it with substantial financial gain behind us (Zaha transfer fee) and a projected minimum of £120m ahead of us. For that extra £250k we are buying a younger player who has scored more in one half season for a struggling Peterborough than CMS has achieved in any one season in the same league at three attempts (one and a half of which was with a top 10 side with the other being for no other than the aforementioned Peterborough).

So I think it is fair to say that our deal makes more financial sense than your CMS deal.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You spent £2.5m on CMS (and quite probably more with certain add ons) as a newly promoted championship club with nowt but League 1 income leading up to it with a mediocre £4m per annum due your way by means of TV monies. That is over half of your projected TV income on one striker (and more on fees than we spent in the last three seasons on all our signings combined jncidentally). You did have other revenue streams in fairness but not enough to warrant such a big fee IMO.

We have spent on Gayle by the most reliable source we have (a twitter individual with known and established links to the Palace hierarchy) that the fee is £2.75m up front. It may raise to around £4m if all add-ons are met and as with the Zaha transfer chances of them all being met could well be unlikely.

So we are dealing with a real difference of £0.25m except we are approaching it with substantial financial gain behind us (Zaha transfer fee) and a projected minimum of £120m ahead of us. For that extra £250k we are buying a younger player who has scored more in one half season for a struggling Peterborough than CMS has achieved in any one season in the same league at three attempts (one and a half of which was with a top 10 side with the other being for no other than the aforementioned Peterborough).

So I think it is fair to say that our deal makes more financial sense than your CMS deal.

Yeah ok. We signed a player from Posh that scored over 30 goals in League 1. You have signed a player that cost more, played for Posh and was due to play in League 1. Get over it.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
I just find the lecture about us being profligate with our windfall rich coming from you lot and your recent questionable prudence with money.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I just find the lecture about us being profligate with our windfall rich coming from you lot and your recent questionable prudence with money.

Wondered what was going on in this thread; opened at last page and this was the last post.

How I laughed at the irony!!!

Admin much?

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
Wondered what was going on in this thread; opened at last page and this was the last post.

How I laughed at the irony!!!

Admin much?

And how the club has finally learnt the importance of sound fiscal management.

It might be hard to understand but us Palace fans are actually quite well placed to evaluate good from bad financial decisions given that we've witnessed plenty of the latter first hand over the past 15 years.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I keep posting this. Why don't Palace bugger off to their own site. Stop engaging with them

I come on here to chat to Albion fans about our club. I couldn't care about a Palace fan's opinion

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I keep posting this. Why don't Palace bugger off to their own site. Stop engaging with them

I come on here to chat to Albion fans about our club. I couldn't care about a Palace fan's opinion

I'm playing "Palace Bingo" and only need Little Al and The Silurian for a full house. If you put them all on the ignore user list then this thread is only 5 pages long :smile:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Some sticky white love piss has just leaked out.
I'm sure there will be gallons more to follow should this turn out to be true ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!! OMG £850,000 nicker ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Actually I've been posting on here (very very occasionally) as a regular REMF player (and indeed Palace captain in 2012) for nine years, and find all the willy waving on both sides beyond tedious.

Of course you do hypocrite.
So taking the piss because we are probably the only club in the country that shares a car park with a university, gives you a chance to laugh at BHA.
And you find all kinds of willy waving tedious, but 10 hours after you posting that here, you are posting this on BBS?

Today, 06:51 AM
Benzhiyi's

Fixtures moved for a university open day. Again.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Name me another 'big club' that's forced to move fixtures every season for that reason?

Brighton lol.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236404&page=88

Last edited:

Banned
May 19, 2013
In the away fans end, where it is proper and right to engage in such banter, and people don't get their knickers in a twist over it.

There are plenty of Brighton examples too.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I know for a fact the Palace fans have been laughting at us since we paid £2.5 million plus add-ons. I notice that they haven't compared Gayle to Ulloa who has a better goals to game ratio and cost at least £750,000 less than what they paid for him. Ulloa scoring a goal every 1.8 games Gayle a goal every 2.23 games.

Banned
May 19, 2013
I honestly don't know much about Ulloa still. He was good against us in the 3-0, anonymous in the playoffs. He may very well be a good player, and I've no desire to trash Brighton players just because they play for Brighton.

But CMS was a flop when you signed him. That was why we were laughing (and continue to laugh). He'd already shown in wasn't very good in the Championship, yet you all went crazy over him. Gayle looks an exciting prospect. A gamble certainly, but one that most Palace fans are pretty chuffed with.

Still think we'll get gazzumped :(

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I honestly don't know much about Ulloa still. He was good against us in the 3-0, anonymous in the playoffs. He may very well be a good player, and I've no desire to trash Brighton players just because they play for Brighton.

But CMS was a flop when you signed him. That was why we were laughing (and continue to laugh). He'd already shown in wasn't very good in the Championship, yet you all went crazy over him. Gayle looks an exciting prospect. A gamble certainly, but one that most Palace fans are pretty chuffed with.

I don't think any striker has been a particular success for us but that is largely due to how few chances we created under Gus. Even Ulloa struggled towards the end of the season and our negative approach to the home leg of the semi left him largely ineffective. Compare that to the player you saw in our 3-0 win when we actually played two wingers

Murray is another example of this look how woeful his return was when he first joined you and palace fans were berating the lack of support and service he received. Contrast that to last season with Bolasie and Zaha putting endless crosses into the box.

Whilst I don't think CMS will ever reach the level to repay our investment I do think he will score at this level with the right service. That said we took a gamble by taking a player who scored a hatful for a team with a wreckless approach to defence and hoped he would replicate it at a higher level.

The comparisons are very similar with the Gayle signing and like us you have taken a very expensive gamble which may or may not have a similar outcome to CMS. For that reason I struggle to understand the hypocrisy of some palace fans on here criticising CMS. Perhaps better to wait until Gayle proves his worth in the premier

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

According to wikpedia he has scored 6 goals since 2nd Jan and 3 of those were against Blackburn, thats 6 goals in 20 games 3 of them in 1 game. I'm sorry but if we signed him for that much with that stat you would tear us apart, you proved that with CMS.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I don't think any striker has been a particular success for us but that is largely due to how few chances we created under Gus. Even Ulloa struggled towards the end of the season and our negative approach to the home leg of the semi left him largely ineffective. Compare that to the player you saw in our 3-0 win when we actually played two wingers

Murray is another example of this look how woeful his return was when he first joined you and palace fans were berating the lack of support and service he received. Contrast that to last season with Bolasie and Zaha putting endless crosses into the box.

Whilst I don't think CMS will ever reach the level to repay our investment I do think he will score at this level with the right service. That said we took a gamble by taking a player who scored a hatful for a team with a wreckless approach to defence and hoped he would replicate it at a higher level.

The comparisons are very similar with the Gayle signing and like us you have taken a very expensive gamble which may or may not have a similar outcome to CMS. For that reason I struggle to understand the hypocrisy of some palace fans on here criticising CMS. Perhaps better to wait until Gayle proves his worth in the premier

Gayle has been signed by THE SCUM as a striker who will do very well in The Championship in the 2014/2015 campaign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here