Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stepdad threatened by the club

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I find these sort of posts strange, in the extreme.

If I had a genuine gripe with the club, or anyone else, I am not sure this would be the place I would post it, where comments are expected, if no invited - I wouldn't go onto a public forum and make a post in the dead of night, then presumably go to bed, meaning I can't defend myself against the inevitable flack, or explain further the situation.

Because of this, I along with others, tend to smell a rat - which is very unfortunate if totally true!

With you on this. We know very few facts. I could understand someone not noticing a small difference but not a £400 plus one in what they were being charged.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I can see how this could happen.

The step dad turned 65, and was charged OAP rate a year too early, and this was then noticed and corrected.

The step dad may have thought the concession was correctly applied ( even if it was a mistake ) and thought nothing was amiss.

On the other hand, someone could have been 'trying to get away with it'.

If scenario 1 is true the club should swallow it - they have made the mistake, their problem. As a possible scenario, you go to your local supermarket and buy an item, for what you think is the right price, the management later realise they have made a mistake and come to your home and ask you to pay the difference - what would your reaction be? I know what mine would be, two words beginning with F&O.

Scenario 2, if trying to get away with it - then you have been busted, so cough up!

Personally I am sure it is the so far unexplained scenario 3... watch this space! :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've always found the club pretty fair in dealings to do with tickets and so on, and the staff are universally professional and friendly.

Suspect there is more to this that meets the eye.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I can see how this could happen.

The step dad turned 65, and was charged OAP rate a year too early, and this was then noticed and corrected.

The step dad may have thought the concession was correctly applied ( even if it was a mistake ) and thought nothing was amiss.

On the other hand, someone could have been 'trying to get away with it'.

Yep - apart from the fact that the biggest difference in price between an adult and an OAP ticket for next season is £210. The OP says the club has invoiced £441 - so, even if that's the reason, it's more than 2 seasons-worth...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With you on this. We know very few facts. I could understand someone not noticing a small difference but not a £400 plus one in what they were being charged.

Unless maybe the undercharging was spread over a number of seasons. Might not notice a difference of, say, £80 a season.

Pretty sure if the club had made a genuine mistake and undercharged somebody, then they would offer some kind of repayment plan.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Unless maybe the undercharging was spread over a number of seasons. Might not notice a difference of, say, £80 a season.

Pretty sure if the club had made a genuine mistake and undercharged somebody, then they would offer some kind of repayment plan.

If the club have made a mistake over a number of seasons - your scenario suggests 5/6, and I'd done nothing to perpetuate their mistake, then I would be looking for the club to write off part of the historic debt (50%?), and spread the rest over a year or two, as well as charging me the right amount from now. The problem is that we just don't have the full facts.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

But why, if the club's mistake was one that could not reasonably have been suspected by the person being overcharged, then surely the under-charger should bite the bullet and let it slide.

Personally, I feel there is more to this story then we are currently being told - if the OP ever wakes up I am sure he will elucidate.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I fail to see how anyone can comment either way on this, we have a bit of a story with no background as to how or why the mistake could have happened and as usual we have the club knockers and the club defenders having an opinion based on nothing that's actually factual. The OP needs to give the whole story and then we can see who is at fault.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But why, if the club's mistake was one that could not reasonably have been suspected by the person being overcharged, then surely the under-charger should bite the bullet and let it slide.

Personally, I feel there is more to this story then we are currently being told - if the OP ever wakes up I am sure he will elucidate.

He must have signed a piece of paper or checked a box on the internet that said what the real cost of the ticket was and he agreed to the terms and conditions. If the club then filled in the amount on the direct debit form wrong, that still doesn't change the fact that the guy knew what this ticket would cost up front when he bought it.

I imagine that if he decides not to go any more they can't claim back the shortfall, but if he wants to continue using the ticket he has to pay up.

*although asking for money back from two or three seasons ago ismost definitely pushing the envelope here - if indeed that is what is being asked for. can't blame the club for trying though. Wonder what the actual law is on cases like this

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He must have signed a piece of paper or checked a box on the internet that said what the real cost of the ticket was and he agreed to the terms and conditions. If the club then filled in the amount on the direct debit form wrong, that still doesn't change the fact that the guy knew what this ticket would cost up front when he bought it.

Lot of assumptions there! As said, the OP hasn't fully explained the situation so we are all taking guesses as to what might have happened.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Why does it have to be divided into club knockers and club defenders. I had an issue with my season ticket last season. It resulted in an undercharge which I sorted with the club. They were at fault in my opinion but dealt with it fairly. I didnt resort to voicing my disgust at my treatment on here.
Im neither a knocker or a defender of the club and resent any suggestion otherwise. It seems though that the club knockers on here are adamant that anyone disagreeing with them will defend the club regardless

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If the club's mistake. Club should take the hit.

Unfourtantly you won't get much sympathy on here from the happy clappers.They will be falling over themselves to defend the club.

What he said,I bet Mr Bloom hasn't got wind of this as he would probably shake his hand and say , 'the games up son, but you will have to pay the right price from now on'.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well, my first sentence must be correct. The second and last sentences are of course conjecture, but thats the fun bit of a thread like this, I did write the word 'if' to be clear!! :)

I like the use of the word "if", a bit like have I Got News For Your using allegedly before every scurrilous accusation - a real coverall :)

What if he was quoted the wrong price at the outset and believed he was paying the correct amount.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
One of the people I go with hadn't been charged at all on his direct debit for this year. He knew, he gloated about it, then about 2 weeks ago he got a letter saying they knew he hadn't been paying and he owed X amount. Yes, it's the club's mistake initially, but they've noticed it before the end of the season, he's known all along, and they have every right not to let him in if he's not paid what he's contractually obliged to pay them as they're a business offering a service.

Your situation sounds very similar to me and I've no sympathy.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I like the use of the word "if", a bit like have I Got News For Your using allegedly before every scurrilous accusation - a real coverall :)

What if he was quoted the wrong price at the outset and believed he was paying the correct amount.

Then the club have absolutely no recompense to claim past payments, but do have the right to request the correct price in future. Probably.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I fail to see how anyone can comment either way on this, we have a bit of a story with no background as to how or why the mistake could have happened and as usual we have the club knockers and the club defenders having an opinion based on nothing that's actually factual. The OP needs to give the whole story and then we can see who is at fault.

Tend to agree with this. People tend to post parts of the story that back them up with out the full details. As Bozza posted, the club may have found a massive discrepancy with a number of season ticket holders. If that's the case then not so easy to write off. Different if it was just one instance.

Generally, in my dealings with the club, including via PB, they have been fair.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tend to agree with this. People tend to post parts of the story that back them up with out the full details. As Bozza posted, the club may have found a massive discrepancy with a number of season ticket holders. If that's the case then not so easy to write off. Different if it was just one instance.

It's not "may", they have and I understand that they have reclaimed many thousands of pounds from those that were knowingly underpaying.

I'll also add that if I'd been using a concession ticket to get into the ground, I'd be sorting that out properly before today's game and not chancing it any more. The club have issued enough warnings about this. Mistakes can happen, on both sides, but I'm struggling to see how someone could be underpaying for any length of time and simply not know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here