Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stealing

What would you do?

• Total voters

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Good work, apparently they got the bloke and he was in custody today. Out of interest what did he look like????

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
7d1d61c7a1f15291f5a461c98ac4b415.jpg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
In a similar situation I too told a member of staff, but before the guy had left the store. The last I saw was the member of staff closely watching him, having already alerted their security.

Personally, I don't care if I am considered a grass. Retail prices are hiked up to compensate for shoplifters, so I am helping to pay for their nicked goods every time I shop!

Exactly. My daughter and hubby are in the Old Bill and the vast majority of stuff that is stolen is not to fund grinding poverty, but for the sheer hell of it. And the honest majority pay more.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
I have seen this happen, several times. I have at different times employed all the options above, although my version of tackling the thief was just to tell him I thought the store detective had clocked him.
The do nothing option was taken when I witnessed an old lady of about 75 slip a can of lager in her bag, I just couldn't do anything against a little old lady.
Whereas I would take the safety first option and do nothing unless it was an old lady, then I'd steam in and sit on her until the rozzers arrived.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I have seen this happen, several times. I have at different times employed all the options above, although my version of tackling the thief was just to tell him I thought the store detective had clocked him.
The do nothing option was taken when I witnessed an old lady of about 75 slip a can of lager in her bag, I just couldn't do anything against a little old lady.

You could of leaned on her fora blow job at least.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Somebody might already be tracking the thief if he is being so obvious. Talking to a member of the staff too early might lead to the perp dumping the evidence. He must be caught with the evidence. If it appears that no one is tracking the perp then alert the staff. No use getting hurt over very few items of merchandise.

Also make sure you are available to testify.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I've just voted - do nothing, but I am p!ssed. I hate those asda corporate twats from hell!!! F^ck them!!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Couldn't give a flying f%^k about Asda. Do Asda/Walmart care about the exploitation in their supply chains, and the small businesses that close when they open their stores?
If I saw someone nicking from a small business, then maybe I'd have a word with the light-fingered one if they didn't look too mental. Big retailers though? Pah. People are seriously naive if they think that a sudden drop in shop lifting would result in lower prices at the chains.

From 2010:

"Shoplifting costs UK retailers an annual £4.4bn, with over a third of losses caused by employee theft, according to a report. The average shopper pays £180 a year extra to cover the cost to stores of combatting crime, according to the 10th annual survey into retail theft by the Centre for Retail Research."

You are seriously naive if you think that, with the current price war being waged between the supermarkets, a sudden drop in shop lifting wouldn't result in lower prices.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
So stop it.

Stop the security guards from letting their mates nick stuff.
Stop the staff from filching.

I get ripped off left right and centre by "The man".
I doubt that a few shoplifters will tip me over the edge.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I had an acquaintance who used to go into certain retailers and steal stuff to order. But before he commenced he would give the person on the till an appropriate sum of money, say £30, tell him what he was going to do and request that said till person turn a blind eye when he walked out. Worked every time.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Don't takle these guys yourself incase he is dangerous. When I was nine a store detective detained me I was playing with a toy that had been bought in another shop my mother pointed out they didn't even sell this item. Didint get compensation in those days.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Walmart is a despicable corporation. It does not bother me one iota if a poor person steals from it.

So I would obviously go for option one. The bloke is likely an idiot who is taking a massive risk, but I would certainly not contribute to his demise - I'd leave it to fate, he'll get caught eventually.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I see it as more of a personal morality question, not a "let's stick to The Man" situation. I dislike faceless mega corporations as much as the next bleeding heart liberal (of which I am sure I'm one), but I would like to maintain my own dignity in the face of all the filth life brings up. Theft is theft, whether it's at a personal level or a multinational level, and neither should be tolerated.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Option 4. See how much he's selling the stolen goods for and haggle a good price.

Everyone needs HDMI cables.

That's the one.
Try hanging out around the corner from shops like Sainsbury's Local, Tesco Express and Morrisons Local. I have heard that the fillet steak is incredibly cheap.
Not that I have ever bought some off of a shoplifter or even thought of doing so.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
If it's in a chain, like a big supermarket - do nothing.

If it's in a 'local' shop, it's similar to stealing from an individual - report it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here