Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steaks (beef)

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Another vote for Porterhouse!
Had the best steak ever at the Prime Steakhouse Bellagio in Vegas, never had a steak like it before.
I normaly avoid steak in this country as it is so difficult to get it cooked properly

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh and all this chat has made me wat a steak. Mrs is taking me out tonight so have requested a steak, although will be stuck with the finest Burgess Hill has to offer. I'll report back :moo:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Oh and all this chat has made me wat a steak. Mrs is taking me out tonight so have requested a steak, although will be stuck with the finest Burgess Hill has to offer. I'll report back :moo:
I have tried this place, very good, and nice location...... I had a standard fillet....... not near you, but one to remember if you fancied a jaunt.

http://www.findonsteakhouse.co.uk/

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where is that? Like findonsteak house the comments I have heard about the new Sussex Steakhouse in Burgess Hill have been very mixed.ranging from brilliant to rubbish

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Heard mixed reports about the steak there and a number of people say it isnt as good as MacMillans but better decor. What was your latest opinion?

I had no complaints at all, five of us, all with various steaks....all cooked well, standard of the beef was as good as you would expect outside of a super expensive or Michelin star joint.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had no complaints at all, five of us, all with various steaks....all cooked well, standard of the beef was as good as you would expect outside of a super expensive or Michelin star joint.
Have you tried McMillans and if so disregarding the decor how did you think the food compared?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Have you tried McMillans and if so disregarding the decor how did you think the food compared?

No I haven't, most of my eating is obviously in the west country, just my football and family related visits to Sussex give me chances to sample options down there.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
The Lamb and Lambs Green, near Crawley has a steak night on a Saturday.

Went there with friends recently, and really enjoyed. I had rib eye, and can confirm it didn't stay on the plate for long.

Probably should have had wine with it, though their local ales went down a treat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Restaurant Report - Sussex Steakhouse, Burgess Hill (since some of you are interested)
We were early so it was quiet, service was therefore very good. Starters of baked camembert, chicken wings and tempura prawns were fine, although the 'tempura' was in fact breadcrumbs, so clearly not tempura, but it was all well presented and tasty
Wife and son had gourmet burgers - good size, well cooked with great home-made chips and onion rings. I had a 12oz ribeye, which was excellent. Cooked spot-on (med-rare), good flavour and same trimmings
Couple of glasses of reasonably priced rioja went down very well with it
No desserts, too full :lolol:

Been here a few times and it has been a bit mixed, but last night was fine. I think they struggle a bit when they are busy, but when they get it right they're worth a visit.

Last edited:

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Where would fillet come from in that picture above?

The tenderloin starts in the short loin section, and ends in the sirloin. The filet is commonly cut from the smaller sirloin end. As others have said, in the US at least, the porterhouse is cut from the end of the short loin where the filet is largest, and anything about an inch and a half on the filet as you move down the loin is considered a tbone. When the filet is too small for a t bone, it is discarded altogether, rounded off and becomes a bone in New York strip.

To me, the most underrated steaks are chuck eye and sirloin. A chuck eye is an ugly and fatty looking steak, that can be tough, but prepared and cooked correctly is delicious. I get an Indian curry paste and thin it out with a fresh lime and marinade it for at least a few hours before putting it on the grill.

A top butt sirloin primal supplies a number of tasty and cheap steaks. When the cap is removed, you can get lean strip steaks and kebabs. Whack off the lean end of the remaining meat, flip it up and cut it into delicious triangular shaped sirloin filets. The remainder into top sirloin standard steaks. Or, you can just cut the whole piece of meat intact into giant Flintstone style brontosaurus steaks, with an interesting mix of all flavours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The tenderloin starts in the short loin section, and ends in the sirloin. The filet is commonly cut from the smaller sirloin end. As others have said, in the US at least, the porterhouse is cut from the end of the short loin where the filet is largest, and anything about an inch and a half on the filet as you move down the loin is considered a tbone. When the filet is too small for a t bone, it is discarded altogether, rounded off and becomes a bone in New York strip.

To me, the most underrated steaks are chuck eye and sirloin. A chuck eye is an ugly and fatty looking steak, that can be tough, but prepared and cooked correctly is delicious. I get an Indian curry paste and thin it out with a fresh lime and marinade it for at least a few hours before putting it on the grill.

A top butt sirloin primal supplies a number of tasty and cheap steaks. When the cap is removed, you can get lean strip steaks and kebabs. Whack off the lean end of the remaining meat, flip it up and cut it into delicious triangular shaped sirloin filets. The remainder into top sirloin standard steaks. Or, you can just cut the whole piece of meat intact into giant Flintstone style brontosaurus steaks, with an interesting mix of all flavours.

What's the English equivalent of that please?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here