Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steaks (beef)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good God no. The correct accompanying drink is a large glass of Argentinian Malbec.

A friend bought me a bottle of Malbec a few weeks ago. First time I've had it. Was nice.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
If buying steak i would highly recommend long horn cattle. The rib eye is to die for.

Can buy it from this farm shop sure there are others but hard to hunt down.

http://www.garlicwoodfarm.co.uk/

Garlic Wood Farm is great for steaks - 35 day aged organic longhorn cattle from the Knepp Castle Estate. Pricing is not too expensive but quality is great. You can buy from the shop in Steyning, they have the butchers in the farm shop at Crossbush and also sell at the farmers market in Horsham on a Saturday.

If you are want burgers, they can either sell you burgers they make themselves or you can buy their 35 day aged steak mince and make your own. I believe that the Trolls Pantry get their mince from here.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I know my way around most animals I'm not overly experienced in the steak department and me and die Frau are going to a steak restaurant this weekend. There are so many cuts; where does one start?

Hi mate - where is this steak restaurant - UK or Germany?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Hello there. It's London; Hawksmoor in Spitalfields.

Very nice - not been myself but Jay Rayner is a fan of their meat and I tend to trust his views.

I would probably go for the rib-eye myself although the d-rump sounds interesting. I don't normally have sauce with my steak as the juices and seasoning should be enough but I love the sound of the bone-marrow gravy.

Enjoy it mate.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had a "Dutch steak" in a restaurant in Spain this evening......... I think the other word for it is "horse" :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very nice - not been myself but Jay Rayner is a fan of their meat and I tend to trust his views.

I would probably go for the rib-eye myself although the d-rump sounds interesting. I don't normally have sauce with my steak as the juices and seasoning should be enough but I love the sound of the bone-marrow gravy.

Enjoy it mate.

I had my eye on the bone marrow as well. I guess you have had the bone-marrow mash in Pitt Cue? Sublime.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good steak houses and chefs will not cook any steak other than rump well done.

Quite the opposite. Good restaurants, and good chefs will prepare meals the way that their paying customers like them, whether it is to their preference or not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quite the opposite. Good restaurants, and good chefs will prepare meals the way that their paying customers like them, whether it is to their preference or not.

Sorry must disagree I know many top class chefs who will refuse to cook steak well done as it affects their reputation, which to them is more important than 1 customer.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Sorry must disagree I know many top class chefs who will refuse to cook steak well done as it affects their reputation, which to them is more important than 1 customer.

Thats rubbish, chefs(even top chefs) will think you are daft for over cooking a steak but if thats the way you want it will do it.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

What happens if the paying guest is pregnant and thus requires her steak to be well done.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thats rubbish, chefs(even top chefs) will think you are daft for over cooking a steak but if thats the way you want it will do it.

I know and met many that wont they say you are in the wrong restaurant. Chefs are a funny lot generally and in most cases full of self importance.

This is just an observation over the years.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I know and met many that wont they say you are in the wrong restaurant. Chefs are a funny lot generally and in most cases full of self importance.

This is just an observation over the years.

Famously Michelin star chef Nico Ladenis physically threw a customer out of his restaurant for asking for overcooked meat and getting uppity when he was told the chef refused. :thumbsup:

F

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
We occacionally get the odd customer complaining that their steak is tough after they have asked for it well done. Kind of makes you want to take the steak and slap them round their stupid face with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, my meal is getting closer. Thanks for the tips. I think it's the porterhouse for me, medium. Still stuck on the drinks choice. I can see the merit of a good red and I enjoyed a Malbec recently but research also informs me that steak and imperial stout go very well together. Not being a huge wine fan I shall see if they have any stout on offer first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here