Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Staying in Newcastle suggestions

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Me and the wife have booked into the Matfen Hall Hotel Golf and Spa for two nights. Probably not what you are after if looking for a cheap deal but have been there before and it's one of the best in the area for anyone wanting lovely surroundings and facilities. Chance for a bit of golf and the other half can enjoy all the spa stuff. https://www.matfenhall.com/

For a decent but more economical stay the Jurys Inn and the Maldron are pretty decent. Worth searching internet for best deals but also worth a direct phone call in some instances as occasionally they will offer really good rates for relatively late cancellations. Stayed on my own a couple of years ago at the Maldron for £50 as a room had been cancelled by somebody else a day earlier.

https://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/ne...VS-J3Ch1L9gH3EAAYASAAEgIie_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.maldronhotelnewcastle.com/?utm_source=GMBlisting&utm_medium=organic

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'll be staying with friends in Darlington and getting the train in for the match. I always enjoy a night out in Newcastle, especially the 24 hours Greggs ringing a bell and bringing out the fresh pasties at 2am. :bowdown:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I loved living in Newcastle when I was at uni a few years back. When my dad visited for graduation, he stayed at the Grainger Hotel in the Arthur's Hill area. Basic, functional, but very nice owners running the show. Very easy walk to the ground as well, although heading to the hotel is a little bit of an uphill slog (literally).

Cheapest rate for one person on that weekend is 80 quid, from what I've seen on a brief Google search.

JakyBF

Apr 19, 2016
Heathfield
I've stayed at this place twice while going to the Newcastle away fixture.
Combined with £1 megabus coaches*, you can do the whole trip for less than the price of the match ticket!
cheep-1__01.jpg
*Takes some forward planning. Megabus coach £1 each way from London (+£1 booking fee) specials are usually only available 3 months in advance. For the £10 hostel bed, you also need to book it well in advance of the match tickets going on sale. However, most offer free cancellations, so your biggest loss wold have been the -£3 for the coach. Of course, all this info is a bit late-notice, but worth bearing in mind if you want a super cheap deal next time around.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
For cheap as chips, i've stayed at B&B's in Whitley Bay & on Ocean Rd, South Shields, both on the Metro & both fine. Each to their own, but i've never seen the point in paying much for what is no more than a bed for the night......if you're going to spend some time in the hotel, that's different.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Went up for a wedding last year, got a decent rate at the Double Tree out by the airport, it's a 20 minute Metro ride into town but they seem regular and it was a lot cheaper than anywhere in the city

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
We're driving up and staying for a week at an Airbnb place in Alnwick. Will spend the week touring the area (Durham, holy island, Edinburgh, bamburgh, hadrians wall) before getting a train to Newcastle for the the match/bevvies and then driving back down on the Sunday. Never been up that way before, so really looking forward to it

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
As a local I'd suggest the Coastal towns of Tynemouth and Whitley Bay are a good base. There is a wide choice of hostelries from cheap B and Bs to Air BNB as well as some decent hotels. The coast is on the metro line so easy to get to the match and has loads of great pubs and restaurant. The coastline is stunning - miles of sandy beaches. Plenty of options in Newcastle City Centre. The Quayside is a good base and there are loads of Hotels on the Quayside with views over the Tyne. The city centre is quite compact so wherever you stay its easy to access all the facilities and the ground. Jesmond is also a good bet. This a suburb close to the city centre. Its well to do and a bit of a student magnet so there's loads of bars and resturants. No matter where you stay Newcastle is a cracking night out very friendly and a very beautful city. Just tell anyone as it's still f**kin' grim up north!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here