Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statistically our best defenders

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
El Abd should have had another penalty awarded against him at Blackburn for a blatant pull on Jordan Rhodes in front of the away end. And there was a free kick given against him at Cardiff when the referee deemed him to have fouled Craig Bellamy, which looked to be very much inside the area.

Definitely inside the area, but it was a shocking dive - never a foul.

Wrong decision, wrong reason.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Not everyone does it. But it's certainly a useful weapon to have in the side. It's not cheating, it's perfectly within the rules of the game. Plenty of players like to "niggle" at each other, Adam El Abd is a MASTER at it, that's why he gets more notice for it than others. I can't think of many better.

I've no doubt this'll have been picked up on already but surely being noticed for it is entirely the wrong sort of reaction a master of the 'dark arts' should be receiving? Andy Johnson for example, 'won' a ton of penalties until it was picked up on by the press...bye bye penalties, hello reputation!

You're right in saying that it's not cheating (well, simulation is but he doesn't often feign injury...much) but surely that's simply by dint of it not being seen by ref at the time? Many of the little niggles, shirt tugging and sneaky kicks that he gets in would be fouls if seen. All it'd take is a ref turning round/looking up at the wrong/right time and he'd be in trouble much more regularly, putting the team at risk. To my mind it's more luck than judgement on his part (with the notable exception of the head rubbing, that was admittedly very funny).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here