Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statistically our best defenders

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Greer has been awful since he came back, too many mistakes.

This is utter, utter rubbish. Seriously, what is the point in posting something so far removed from the truth. Greer has been SUPERB in the last few games. He's made countless tackles and last ditch blocks. You might as well post "Barnes was our best player at Peterborough".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nah, I don't count those. As mentioned above, he was the one being fouled for one of those 2, ridiculous decision.

So considering he's someone who "always looks like he's about to give away a penalty", he very, VERY rarely does.

Whilst I do agree that the one at Barnsley was a terrible decision, he still presented the opportunity for the ref to give it, by choosing to get physically involved with the striker, rather than just attacking the sodding football. Just like at Blackburn, as it goes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
El Abd should have had another penalty awarded against him at Blackburn for a blatant pull on Jordan Rhodes in front of the away end. And there was a free kick given against him at Cardiff when the referee deemed him to have fouled Craig Bellamy, which looked to be very much inside the area.

Greer has been excellent since he's been back in. Let's not make this a personality contest because El Abd is more popular: I just want the best defence for us, and at the moment that is clearly Greer & Upson.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst I do agree that the one at Barnsley was a terrible decision, he still presented the opportunity for the ref to give it, by choosing to get physically involved with the striker, rather than just attacking the sodding football. Just like at Blackburn, as it goes.

But you do acknowledge that generally he is absolutely SUPERB at getting "physically involved" with strikers, right? He's an utter genius at it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is utter, utter rubbish. Seriously, what is the point in posting something so far removed from the truth. Greer has been SUPERB in the last few games. He's made countless tackles and last ditch blocks. You might as well post "Barnes was our best player at Peterborough".

Totally agree with this, on the other hand. Greer's been in the best form of his whole season recently. Him and Upson seem to have a great understanding.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
El Abd should have had another penalty awarded against him at Blackburn for a blatant pull on Jordan Rhodes in front of the away end. And there was a free kick given against him at Cardiff when the referee deemed him to have fouled Craig Bellamy, which looked to be very much inside the area.

Greer has been excellent since he's been back in. Let's not make this a personality contest because El Abd is more popular: I just want the best defence for us, and at the moment that is clearly Greer & Upson.

Agreed - Greer certainly deserves to keep the shirt based on recent performances.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But you do acknowledge that generally he is absolutely SUPERB at getting "physically involved" with strikers, right? He's an utter genius at it.

What do you want me to say? "I agree, he's really good at something I'd rather he wasn't doing at all"?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What do you want me to say? "I agree, he's really good at something I'd rather he wasn't doing at all"?

Get Lambert sent off? Keep Andy Carroll quiet? Get Ameobi sent off? It's won us plenty of points, and is very funny to boot. Why wouldn't you want that?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

Yep, I'll agree with this. I was quite critical of him earlier in the season, but I'll hold my hands up. Since coming back into the side recently he has been superb and the partnership with Upson looks really solid.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now I know you're just taking the rise.

He was on him on the corners. Carroll scored ONE goal, and El Abd wasn't on him at that point. So not sure what you're on about. El Abd did a fantastic job on him 1st half (ended 1-1), then went off at 2-1. We then got battered by FOUR more goals while Adam was off the pitch.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Get Lambert sent off? Keep Andy Carroll quiet? Get Ameobi sent off? It's won us plenty of points, and is very funny to boot. Why wouldn't you want that?

It's probably a lesser held opinion but I hate the whole concept of 'getting' someone sent off.

Sure it benefits the team but it just feels wrong and I can't agree that 'everyone does it' is a valid excuse.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's probably a lesser held opinion but I hate the whole concept of 'getting' someone sent off.

Sure it benefits the team but it just feels wrong and I can't agree that 'everyone does it' is a valid excuse.

Not everyone does it. But it's certainly a useful weapon to have in the side. It's not cheating, it's perfectly within the rules of the game. Plenty of players like to "niggle" at each other, Adam El Abd is a MASTER at it, that's why he gets more notice for it than others. I can't think of many better.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
When playing alongside El-Abd, Greer terrified me this season. But alongside Upson he has been superb. Keep warming that bench El-Abd

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We agree on most things football, but I'm just not having this.

He was on him on the corners. Carroll scored ONE goal, and El Abd wasn't on him at that point. So not sure what you're on about. El Abd did a fantastic job on him 1st half (ended 1-1), then went off at 2-1. We then got battered by FOUR more goals while Adam was off the pitch.

My memory of that first half is of a corner right in front of us - Adam playing stupid games with Carroll, completely ignoring the BALL, and Liverpool scoring.

Not everyone does it. But it's certainly a useful weapon to have in the side. It's not cheating, it's perfectly within the rules of the game. Plenty of players like to "niggle" at each other, Adam El Abd is a MASTER at it, that's why he gets more notice for it than others. I can't think of many better.

You're completely wrong. If he 'gets more notice for it' that is a BAD thing, and suggests he is very far from 'a master' at it. Quite the opposite.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We agree on most things football, but I'm just not having this.

I think it works in his favour more often than to his detriment. You disagree. Let's move on.

best-friends-having-a-best-friend-10686512-514-486.gif

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're completely wrong. If he 'gets more notice for it' that is a BAD thing, and suggests he is very far from 'a master' at it. Quite the opposite.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. He needs to learn to be a bit more discreet about it. He is beginning to become fairly well known for it. Having said that it can work both ways. We were 0 - 0 with Saints and he single handedly wound Lambert up and got him sent off, which enabled us to go on and win. It aint the first time he has managed that either.

For the time being, I am happy with Greer and Upson and am comfortable that we can rely on El Abd off the bench if required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here