Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Statistically It's not Burn we're missing, it's Webster

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you think Robert Sanchez is Ederson, Shane Duffy is John Stones and MacAllister is KDB you've been smoking too much again.

We are patently unable to play out from the back effectively with players who have an inferior first touch and pace to their opponents. It should be obvious.

If you arent able to play it out from the back then you need another solution. What would that be with the current squad? Hoof it to the seven dwarfs?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you arent able to play it out from the back then you need another solution. What would that be with the current squad? Hoof it to the seven dwarfs?

You tell me. You're the Potter wannabe.

Me? I'd point out he's had six transfer windows to get better first touch, better pace or (more realistically) not dwarves.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If you think Robert Sanchez is Ederson, Shane Duffy is John Stones and MacAllister is KDB you've been smoking too much again.

We are patently unable to play out from the back effectively with players who have an inferior first touch and pace to their opponents. It should be obvious.

Just watching Wolves.

They seem to be able to play from the back and the ball actually goes in a forward direction.

I know it’s only Leeds - but shows it can be done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just watching Wolves.

They seem to be able to play from the back and the ball actually goes in a forward direction.

I know it’s only Leeds - but shows it can be done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We managed it against Leeds. We had a better side available and Leeds were basically a Championship quality squad who'd been run to death by Bielsa and had their own injury issues at ours.

That doesn't mean trying to do it with Sanchez, Duffy, Dunk and a barely interested Biss is a good idea against Spurs.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The pragmatic thing is to play similar as before since thats what the team is built around doing. Telling the players during pre-game tactical talk that "today we're Stoke City" wouldnt be pragmatic.

Its also not a "salient point"... Brighton has played "Man City football" with bottom six players and avoided relegation while watching eg West Bromwich go down playing West Bromwich football with a bottom six budget.

That's exactly the point of my post #10 on this thread.

White - Dunk - Webster. They have the skill, ability and nous to play Potterball.

Veltman - Dunk - Duffy. Don't.

So how do you turn a cart horse into a Grand National Champion?

You can't. So its Plan B.

Except we don't have Plan B. eg: hoof it to the big striker, 2 banks of 4 behind the ball and hit them on the counter with fast pace and so on. Yes selling Burn was a F up IMO, yes we haven't recruited any replacements for BDB or BW but at the same time Potter hasnt been coaching the players on how to play football without then 2 ball carrying CBs knowing full well he doesn't have any available. As I said on the Spurs match day thread, Einstein said insanity was doing the same thin again and again and expecting a different result.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

White - Dunk - Webster. They have the skill, ability and nous to play Potterball.

Except we don't have Plan B. eg: hoof it to the big striker, 2 banks of 4 behind the ball and hit them on the counter with fast pace and so on. Yes selling Burn was a F up IMO, yes we haven't recruited any replacements for BDB or BW but at the same time Potter hasnt been coaching the players on how to play football without then 2 ball carrying CBs knowing full well he doesn't have any available. As I said on the Spurs match day thread, Einstein said insanity was doing the same thin again and again and expecting a different result.

:clap2:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Webster is a far superior player. It's blindingly obvious we're missing him, Burn was never really a first choice centre back for us.

Exactly.

Burn was great cover and versatile. Prior to leaving he was playing his best football, and it feels like everyone is clinging to this rather than the near fact, that with everyone fit he was on the bench.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

But we don’t have the players to coach that rudimentary plan B so why would he do that? The result would be even worse.

Add in the fact that one of the reasons Potter was brought in was specifically not to play that way.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
But we don’t have the players to coach that rudimentary plan B so why would he do that? The result would be even worse.

Add in the fact that one of the reasons Potter was brought in was specifically not to play that way.

In the words of the great McEnroe -you cannot be serious?.

Play worse? Obviously you've not been or seen us play Villa, Burnley, Pool, Newcastle, Spuds and not realised that we've won one in 6, had ZERO shots on targets vs Spuds, on our worst run since Lamptey has been alive etc etc etc...

Obviously your enjoying the wonderful footie being served up. Nice. Happy for you.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
White - Dunk - Webster

With BDB as reserve.

This is what Potterball was built on. Playing out from the back, ball carrying CBs into the middle of the park, cutting thru the oppo press.

We have one of the 4 in action now, arguably the worst of them all at Potterball.

And we wonder why is not going well, slow, ponderous etc... :shrug:

I agree with this 100%. What worries me is that we keep trying to play in this style.
There were signs v Liverpool that we were prepared to go long more often and it was effective for a while.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Another asset that Webster brings to the team is also the ability to connect from corners and sometimes score - Chelsea & Watford. No one else seems to be able to do this.

err... Lewis Dunk did it TWO games ago, away at Newcastle...

...and FIVE times last season (Burnley A, Saints A, West Ham A, Wolves H & A)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Put him in l say, game time will do him good, and he can't do any worse than the current incumbents at the back.

Probably not - I think he actually has a few injuries / niggles - and the treatment has been pretty heavy going so not sure potentially injuring him any more is a good plan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here