Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Starting a season with Strikers

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would have loved a striker, baffled we didn’t get one. But if the plan is a front three picked from Maupay, welbeck, Connolly, Trossard, MacAllister, and Richards then that actually doesn’t feel too short in terms of numbers. March and Gross can also push further forward now we have Cucurella and hopefully Veltman & Lamptey back on full back duties. Just would have liked a signing who offers something new/different.

Think Moder, March and Lamptey would all be fine as part of that three as well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Cucurella and March might make an interesting partnership on that side..?!

The more I think about it, I see our best option as ...

3 at the back
Cucc LWB
Solly RWB
Veltman competing for Duffy's place
Gross competing for Lallana's place
Lamptey impact role, minutes being heavily managed

I've not seen Cucc play, but my immediate concern is that him and Solly will occupy the same position too much if both on the left

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Think Moder, March and Lamptey would all be fine as part of that three as well.

This is the correct word. We have plenty of players who will be fine out of position. They're unlikely to excel, but they will probably be fine.

It's a recipe for 15th, 16th, 17th ...... which I suppose is fine

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is the correct word. We have plenty of players who will be fine out of position. They're unlikely to excel, but they will probably be fine.

It's a recipe for 15th, 16th, 17th ...... which I suppose is fine

I think Lamptey could potentially rip the PL apart from a winger position. Remains to be seen.

Moders best role is pretty unclear currently. He looks like a defensive midfielder but he certainly doesnt play like it.

March is indeed preferable as LWB but would do a job higher up as well.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't hear much about the "cluster" policy for signing new players these days. Do we still do it?

As far as we can tell from the outside, it seems like the plan was Nunez or nothing.

It's quite possible, that there were other targets and the selling club and agent were discreet and didn't drop our name to the press. It seems unlikely though

Don’t forget we were very close to signing Gonzalez.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Don’t forget we were very close to signing Gonzalez.

True enough, but he went to Fiorentina early in the summer, (and he was less of a no9)

From then on there's really wasn't significant chatter about anyone but Nunez. Totally take the point that we only hear parts of what goes on, but expected us to have a first team back up plan in the event that the many moving parts that would have had to come into play to make the Nunez deal work didn't come together

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Maybe we just think we are the old Barcelona team who for a couple of season never played with strikers, just Iniesta etc flitting about and scoring goals…maybe the club are hoping trossard is the new Iniesta

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
With a very heavy heart, it was probably the season after he left us after his first spell here.

Yes. He had a brilliant season getting them promoted - after quite a challenging one - but then you could make a case he was in his prime when he rejoined us in 2016/17. He was 31, not old for a striker, and then had probably the 3 best seasons of his career.
How about Hemed. Scored 30 goals with us. Wasn't he in his prime at the Albion ? Scored as many as Ulloa.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
True enough, but he went to Fiorentina early in the summer, (and he was less of a no9)

From then on there's really wasn't significant chatter about anyone but Nunez. Totally take the point that we only hear parts of what goes on, but expected us to have a first team back up plan in the event that the many moving parts that would have had to come into play to make the Nunez deal work didn't come together

For sure we don’t really know what’s going on behind closed doors, and the Albion are very good at keeping things quiet, but for the man in the street just having 2 targets seems bizarre. As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t believe we were ever looking for just a striker but someone who can play anywhere along a front three, but that only makes me more puzzled as to how we may have only identified 2 players who were deemed worthy of upgrading our misfiring forwards.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I’m reserving judgement until I hear that Potter is very happy with our options. He seems to be a bit slow out of the blocks this end of window though :down:

I do think that we are targeting far more goals from the midfield and crosses into the box for midfielders to run onto.

Exactly what I was thinking. By now the club are usually trumpeting what a great window it was etc etc

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We seemed to try and bring in Gonzalez and Nunez so I'd suggest we had some potential targets and none of them could be convinced to sign. That either suggests we are aiming too high or we are not willing to waste our time/money on someone who isn't a step up

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seems like Locadia might get re-integrated, reading between the lines of some recent Potter comments and an article on Sussex Live.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A winning Albion team featuring Big Shane, Big Jurg and (not so) Big Connolly will have a fair few on here not knowing whether to cheer or boo.

...Tre...

...Men

...Dous.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems like Locadia might get re-integrated, reading between the lines of some recent Potter comments and an article on Sussex Live.

I never thought Duffy would get re integrated so anything is possible and in truth it could end up as needs must :shrug:

I am one of the few who doesn’t agree that he’s not even a footballer though.

I just hope that when he gives up playing he adopts the DJ Strollabout moniker for his sets at Pacha and Amnesia :smile:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Locadia as 3rd/4th striker would be a positive move for the squad.

We need to keep him on until at least January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here