Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Starting a season with Strikers

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The massive meltdown this week got me thinking it cannot be the worst scenario ever...so I looked back at the squads we started each premier League season with and the amount of attacking players within.

2017/2018
Centre Forwards - Murray, Baldock & Hemed
Wide Attackers - Knockaert & Izquierdo

2018/2019
Centre Forwards - Murray, Andone & Locadia
Wide Attackers - Knockaert, Izquierdo, Jahanbakash & Tau (loaned out)

2019/2020
Centre Forwards - Murray, Andone (loaned out), Locadia (loaned out), Maupay & Connolly
Wide Attackers - Knockaert (loaned out), Izquierdo (injured), Jahanbakash, Tau (loaned out) & Trossard

2020/2021
Centre Forwards - Murray (loaned out), Andone (injured), Locadia (loaned out), Maupay & Connolly
Wide Attackers - Izquierdo (injured), Jahanbakash, Tau (loaned out) & Trossard

2021/2022
Centre Forwards - Andone (loaned out), Locadia, Maupay, Connolly, Welbeck
Wide Attackers - Trossard

Centre Forwards we have never had more than 3, where we are light this season is with Wide Attackers who could create opportunities but considering the players we have lost.ober the summer they don't have many assist between them anyway

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
The massive meltdown this week got me thinking it cannot be the worst scenario ever...so I looked back at the squads we started each premier League season with and the amount of attacking players within.

2017/2018

2018/2019

2019/2020
Centre Forwards - Murray, Andone (loaned out), Locadia (loaned out), Maupay & Connolly
Wide Attackers - Knockaert (loaned out), Izquierdo (injured), Jahanbakash, Tau (loaned out) & Trossard

2020/2021
Centre Forwards - Murray (loaned out), Andone (injured), Locadia (loaned out), Maupay & Connolly

2021/2022

Centre Forwards we have never had more than 3, where we are light this season is with Wide Attackers who could create opportunities but considering the players we have lost.ober the summer they don't have many assist between them anyway

And in each of the above seasons we’ve been crying out for a striker.
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make, but all I see is lack of depth and quality with the past 5 seasons! This years lack of depth and cover is even more worrying.
Be interesting to know the overall goals from the above players and seasons, which i’d imagine is very low.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Our problem isn't having just 3 strikers.

The problem is that our 1st/2nd choice striker is incredibly injury prone and our 3rd choice is a diving bell end who misses sitter after sitter.

A 4th striker may well have mitigated the above, but not to be. As of today that is the quite possibly leaving DJ.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m reserving judgement until I hear that Potter is very happy with our options. He seems to be a bit slow out of the blocks this end of window though :down:

I do think that we are targeting far more goals from the midfield and crosses into the box for midfielders to run onto.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

2017/2018

2018/2019

2019/2020

2020/2021

2021/2022

Our lack of quality, prolific striker in his prime dates back to 2014 when we sold Ulloa. That is seven years without opposition defenders actually being worried about our strikers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I’m reserving judgement until I hear that Potter is very happy with our options. He seems to be a bit slow out of the blocks this end of window though :down:

I do think that we are targeting far more goals from the midfield and crosses into the box for midfielders to run onto.

He has already said what is expected of him. I do not believe a word of it. No PL manager in his right mind would be happy with those forward options only.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Our lack of quality, prolific striker in his prime dates back to 2014 when we sold Ulloa. That is seven years without opposition defenders actually being worried about our strikers.

Murray scored 12 for and 13 goals in the two PL seasons he was first choice. Not prime granted but still as prolific as Ulloa really in a better league. Murray also scored a chunk more than Ulloa managed on his return to the championship in 16/17.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

2017/2018

2018/2019

2019/2020

2020/2021

2021/2022

Locadia lol. Solly pushed upfield by Cucu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some people always want strikers regardless of how many there is and how good they are.

I blame neoliberalism.

suckers.jpg

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
It would seem that our best striker each season is the first one in the list to not have brackets after their name. So 2021/22 is going to be Locadia's season of glory. This is going to be epok!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Murray scored 12 for and 13 goals in the two PL seasons he was first choice. Not prime granted but still as prolific as Ulloa really in a better league. Murray also scored a chunk more than Ulloa managed on his return to the championship in 16/17.

As you said, not in his prime.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

2017/2018

2018/2019

2019/2020

2020/2021

2021/2022

This also doesn't really take in the fact that we play one striker and two attacking midfielders with wing backs as the wide players, Gross, Lallana, Alexis, Trossard have all played that position. I do wish we had more forward wide options though so we could utilise different formations, I think against Everton we saw how our lack of options prevented us from switching formation and potentially changing the outcome of that game, had no plan b.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe, this is the time when some absolute plum points out:-

'Yeah but Man City only had:-

17/18 Aguero, Jesus & Nmecha

18/19 Aguero & Jesus.

19/20 Aguero & Jesus.

20/21 Aguero, Jesus & Delap.

21/22 Just Jesus (who's a w-anchor)

So why don't you shite all over them'. :tosser: 's.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Are you saying that no opposition defender was ever worried about Glenn because he was no longer in his 'prime'?

It'll be interesting to see if Ronaldo is afforded the same luxury.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It’s not a striker that we’ve specifically needed, but someone to play in the front 3. If we’d signed Nunez, for example, Maupay wouldn’t suddenly be on the bench, he’d probably play wide right with Welbeck or Trossard wide left, that’s one of the beauties afforded to Potter’s players/systems, they have to be autonomous. This is why I’m so baffled that we couldn’t identify a single player to improve our front line.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Would have loved a striker, baffled we didn’t get one. But if the plan is a front three picked from Maupay, welbeck, Connolly, Trossard, MacAllister, and Richards then that actually doesn’t feel too short in terms of numbers. March and Gross can also push further forward now we have Cucurella and hopefully Veltman & Lamptey back on full back duties. Just would have liked a signing who offers something new/different.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't hear much about the "cluster" policy for signing new players these days. Do we still do it?

As far as we can tell from the outside, it seems like the plan was Nunez or nothing.

It's quite possible, that there were other targets and the selling club and agent were discreet and didn't drop our name to the press. It seems unlikely though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I believe, this is the time when some absolute plum points out:-

'Yeah but Man City only had:-

17/18 Aguero, Jesus & Nmecha

18/19 Aguero & Jesus.

19/20 Aguero & Jesus.

20/21 Aguero, Jesus & Delap.

21/22 Just Jesus (who's a w-anchor)

So why don't you shite all over them'. :tosser: 's.

Yep. We're just a poor man's Man Citeh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here