Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars VII

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Key to the film imo is writing in a great dark side protagonist. Get that right and the movies should have a chance of being OK.

I'm just not sure who that protaganist will be.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If you were introducing someone to Star Wars for the first time which order do you get then to watch them in?

The original order hey were made in, I.e. 4-6, followed by 1-3.

Or the chronological order 1-6?

I'm nervous of starting at 1, because frankly it's no where near as good as 4-6.

You get them to watch 4-6 and wouldn't even dream of subjecting them to the steaming piles of shite that are 1-3.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The Key to the film imo is writing in a great dark side protagonist. Get that right and the movies should have a chance of being OK.

darth_jar_jar.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
As long as they get a good plot in there it has a chance of being decent. For me, Han Solo was such a huge character in the original trilogy and that was sorely missed, among other things, in the later trilogy. If they get him right on this it will lift it. I'd personally like to see him as a broken down wreck, lurking in grimy bars, similar to the main character in True Grit in need of redemption.

Yep agreed - and he should turn to the dark side as well.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Personally I think the prequels get over the top bad press.
TPM admittedly was a bit wishy washy, but AOTC wasn't bad and I think Revenge of the Sith easily stands up as being worthy counterparts of episodes 4-6. And IMO Revenge of the Sith is far far better than Return of the Jedi.

Really looking forward to what the new ones have to offer

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Personally, I think they ****ed up with 1-3, too much cgi. I just don't see how they could be a prequel to 4-6. I watched no.1 a bit of no.2 and not seen no.3 they were just so awful. I'm hoping they get back to how 4-6 were with little to no cgi and a more convincing story line. Is it just me or do others feel 4-6 were more real, as it were, than the prequels?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Personally, I think they ****ed up with 1-3, too much cgi. I just don't see how they could be a prequel to 4-6. I watched no.1 a bit of no.2 and not seen no.3 they were just so awful. I'm hoping they get back to how 4-6 were with little to no cgi and a more convincing story line. Is it just me or do others feel 4-6 were more real, as it were, than the prequels?

Yes, I agree, although I quite like TAOTC. CGI ruined the feel of star wars. The sooner they get back to using models for the special effects, the better. CGI is just too precise for real life, too smooth.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
If you were introducing someone to Star Wars for the first time which order do you get then to watch them in?

Someone put far too much thought into this and came up with a viewing order that I like the sound of: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6.

This keeps the revelation at the end of 5 unspoiled, leaving it on the cliffhanger of Han in carbonite, then uses 2 and 3 as a kind of extended flashback to fill in Anakin's back story, before tying everything together in 6. It just about pulls the two independent trilogies into a single story. And it leaves out episode 1 altogether, which is a bonus.

That's the short version of the justification; in the link above the inventor points out several more ways in which his "machete order" improves on either 1-6 or 4-6,1-3 ordering. He's pretty convincing.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Maybe ther're sticking with the Expanded Universe and doing Grand Admiral Thrawn (I seem to recall THrawn as being vaguely Max Sydow-like).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it just me or do others feel 4-6 were more real, as it were, than the prequels?
I'd think it's everyone, rather than just you. But as Jam The Man, I think the prequels get over the top bad press. The originals benefited from being very different than any film before. Not something you can do so easily now. I imagine if the originals were released now, all those that hate JJB would also hate C3po.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Maybe ther're sticking with the Expanded Universe and doing Grand Admiral Thrawn (I seem to recall THrawn as being vaguely Max Sydow-like).

I read this morning (probably Den of Geek) that they are not following the Expanded Universe canon for this - it's a whole new story.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I read this morning (probably Den of Geek) that they are not following the Expanded Universe canon for this - it's a whole new story.
Oh OK thanks - I just checked and Thrawn doesn't look like Max von Sydow anyway :D

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only needs to be a long time ago in another galaxy far, far away.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

Not abandoned totally, it looks like they may use it as an index for possible future stories and characters. Entirely possible that any character from any of those books and comics could feature in these films or future planned films and cartoons.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Personally I think the prequels get over the top bad press.
TPM admittedly was a bit wishy washy, but AOTC wasn't bad and I think Revenge of the Sith easily stands up as being worthy counterparts of episodes 4-6. And IMO Revenge of the Sith is far far better than Return of the Jedi.

Really looking forward to what the new ones have to offer

The first 3 were all truly awful in thier own ways. The Phantom Menace is dire and easily the worst of the 6. Jar Jar Binks, a little kid flying a space ship and the whole set up itself 'There are some trade disagreements in the Galaxy regarding high import taxes to Naboo. Chancellor Palpatine is trying to negotiate a discount for bulk import.....' Yawn. Liam Neeson spends the whole time with a 'Why did I sign up for this shit? look on his face and even Ray Parks Darth Maul has no dialogue because he sounds like Danny Dyer - At least that would have added some fun 'Come here Obi Wan and I'll smash your face in you cu...'

Attack of the clones is better but is blighted by the 'love' scenes which are so badly written and acted its untrue. We know Portman and Christenson can act from other films but the acting here is like a school play. Granted, the set pieces at the end are good but its a long time coming and at least they got the sith right with Christopher Lee.

Revenge of the sith starts well (off with his head!) but again goes downhill. The transition to the darkside is totally unbelievable (Oi, Darth, go and kill the kids will you then switch the droids off will ya? ''Ok mate'') and the dialogue is pitiful especially from Anakin 'I hate you' 'In my opinion, the jedi are evil' and that's before we move onto the laughably bad twin birth death scene. The whole playing out of the goalless draw at the end is nothing to get excited about either - we all know whats going to happen. Overall, Give me Ewoks any day of the week.

One thing I will agree on is that I am looking forward to the new ones. They won't have the weight of expectation (everyone thinks they will be shit), JJ has got good form with Star Trek as well as the Toy Story writer and the original charactors are back - something that 1-3 suffered really badly from.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The first 3 were all truly awful in thier own ways. The Phantom Menace is dire and easily the worst of the 6. Jar Jar Binks, a little kid flying a space ship and the whole set up itself 'There are some trade disagreements in the Galaxy regarding high import taxes to Naboo. Chancellor Palpatine is trying to negotiate a discount for bulk import.....' Yawn. Liam Neeson spends the whole time with a 'Why did I sign up for this shit? look on his face and even Ray Parks Darth Maul has no dialogue because he sounds like Danny Dyer - At least that would have added some fun 'Come here Obi Wan and I'll smash your face in you cu...'

Attack of the clones is better but is blighted by the 'love' scenes which are so badly written and acted its untrue. We know Portman and Christenson can act from other films but the acting here is like a school play. Granted, the set pieces at the end are good but its a long time coming and at least they got the sith right with Christopher Lee.

Revenge of the sith starts well (off with his head!) but again goes downhill. The transition to the darkside is totally unbelievable (Oi, Darth, go and kill the kids will you then switch the droids off will ya? ''Ok mate'') and the dialogue is pitiful especially from Anakin 'I hate you' 'In my opinion, the jedi are evil' and that's before we move onto the laughably bad twin birth death scene. The whole playing out of the goalless draw at the end is nothing to get excited about either - we all know whats going to happen. Overall, Give me Ewoks any day of the week.

One thing I will agree on is that I am looking forward to the new ones. They won't have the weight of expectation (everyone thinks they will be shit), JJ has got good form with Star Trek as well as the Toy Story writer and the original charactors are back - something that 1-3 suffered really badly from.

Well it's all about opinions I guess!
I quite liked The Godfather part 3.. but not many do!

Like we both agree on though, fingers crossed for the new sequels

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here