Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Stamps expire. Who knew?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Gave up sending Xmas cards years ago, just donate to charity each Xmas

Can't remember the last time I sent a letter or purchased a stamp.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Christmas stamps (without barcodes) still valid, aren't they?
Yes, I received a card yesterday which was an old style Christmas stamp, without a surcharge. I looked twice when I was cutting from the envelope because I send my used stamps to the Sjogrens Syndrome Association, in January.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yeah, we had a ticket through the door from the post office saying that £2.50 was owed on a delivery and we had to pay on line if we wanted it. Didn’t have a clue what it was - a letter? A parcel? 🤷
So we paid and awaited delivery.
Heard nothing but deduced from receiving a card a few days later with a first class stamp on it that Royal Mail had stuck the stamp on over an old style second class one. No other clues.
Embarrassing for one of the wife’s best mates who had let her husband organise the posting of their cards!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Apparently, the stamp I had used, which was red, with 1st class written on it, and decorated in the usual manner with the Queen's head, had 'expired'.
I’m afraid there’s sad news about the Queen, too. 😕

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
to use, yes. to swap for new QR versions, there is no current deadline.
And, as a special extra bonus, swapping to the QR versions enables you to watch and share EXCLUSIVE SHAUN THE SHEEP VIDEOS via the barcode itself using the Royal Mail App.

Amaze GIF

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just been chatting on the blower with one of my brothers to arrange the usual meet-up, and he told me about how excited they were to be summoned to the post office to collect an item. And imagine the disappointment when they discovered it was merely the Christmas card I'd sent them. Apparently, the stamp I had used, which was red, with 1st class written on it, and decorated in the usual manner with the Queen's head, had 'expired'.

It cost him around £2.50 to liberate said item.

I call that a knavish trick by the post office, but if you find yourself receiving eye-rolls and eyebrow gymnastics from family this Christmas, think back to whether your stamps were fresh from the office of the grinches who want to ruin Christmas, or came out of the back of your dusty wallet.

It isn't just the money, it is imagining the whole heart-breaking experience of the excitement followed by what amounts to a small fine for the temerity of having a letter box and being the recipient of rogue mail.

My other brother is invited to Christmas dinner this year, it, in addition to Christmas, being the occasion of his 60th. If he turns up at all, I expect the atmos to be frosty. :confused:
My brother did exactly this in November. Cost me a fiver to pick up two Birthday cards :lolol: :wrong:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
There's been a massive increase in counterfeit stamps being sold and attempted for use this Christmas - they look unbelievably close to the real thing, but they're really easily detected when the letters are sorted. You can also feel the difference by hand too.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m pretty sure when I bought a load of Christmas stamps at the Post Office a few weeks ago that they didn’t even have the barcodes on.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Announced months ago? They are all barcoded now BUT if you have old picture stamps THESE CAN BE STILL USED. So if you have festive picture stamps from 10 years ago they can still be used. Know this as my neighbour works for PO and mentioned this to us in Jan.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

I think there is no deadline (but may be wrong) to the swap out scheme, so you can still exchange non barcoded stamps for valid new ones
I exchanged 4 old ones for new in October this year. I just got a form from the PO and sent them off. Like HWT I didn't know the ones without the bar codes were now invalid. I sent a birthday card in late September with the old stamp on. They never received it and they got a message from PO about an item that needs paying for. They didn't bother picking it up after I told them I had put an old 1st class stamp on card.:shrug:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Announced months ago? They are all barcoded now BUT if you have old picture stamps THESE CAN BE STILL USED. So if you have festive picture stamps from 10 years ago they can still be used. Know this as my neighbour works for PO and mentioned this to us in Jan.
Only old Christmas stamps without barcodes can be used. Any other non-barcoded stamps aren't valid.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This is another reason why the SNP have been encouraging people north of the border to have a 'digital' Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here