Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Stamps expire. Who knew?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just been chatting on the blower with one of my brothers to arrange the usual meet-up, and he told me about how excited they were to be summoned to the post office to collect an item. And imagine the disappointment when they discovered it was merely the Christmas card I'd sent them. Apparently, the stamp I had used, which was red, with 1st class written on it, and decorated in the usual manner with the Queen's head, had 'expired'.

It cost him around £2.50 to liberate said item.

I call that a knavish trick by the post office, but if you find yourself receiving eye-rolls and eyebrow gymnastics from family this Christmas, think back to whether your stamps were fresh from the office of the grinches who want to ruin Christmas, or came out of the back of your dusty wallet.

It isn't just the money, it is imagining the whole heart-breaking experience of the excitement followed by what amounts to a small fine for the temerity of having a letter box and being the recipient of rogue mail.

My other brother is invited to Christmas dinner this year, it, in addition to Christmas, being the occasion of his 60th. If he turns up at all, I expect the atmos to be frosty. :confused:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are they sure this wasn't a Christmas Card you sent fifty years ago ? It's not uncommon for stamp prices to change two or three times before a letter reaches its destination.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Although annoying, the Post Office was running an " Amnesty " for old stamps to be swapped FOC for new stamps of the same value, I swapped about two dozen easy peasy.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Original deadline was 31 January 23 but they extended it for 6 months to allow people living in caves to catch up :laugh:
Yes. Since Covid I've pretty much tuned out the news (I just accept that everything's bad and is only going to get worse). I know the broad headlines and basic details of what's happening, but that's usually about it. However even I knew about the stamps!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just been chatting on the blower with one of my brothers to arrange the usual meet-up, and he told me about how excited they were to be summoned to the post office to collect an item. And imagine the disappointment when they discovered it was merely the Christmas card I'd sent them. Apparently, the stamp I had used, which was red, with 1st class written on it, and decorated in the usual manner with the Queen's head, had 'expired'.

I call that a knavish trick by the post office, but if you find yourself receiving eye-rolls and eyebrow gymnastics from family this Christmas, think back to whether your stamps were fresh from the office of the grinches who want to ruin Christmas, or came out of the back of your dusty wallet.

It isn't just the money, it is imagining the whole heart-breaking experience of the excitement followed by what amounts to a small fine for the temerity of having a letter box and being the recipient of rogue mail.

My other brother is invited to Christmas dinner this year, it, in addition to Christmas, being the occasion of his 60th. If he turns up at all, I expect the atmos to be frosty. :confused:
What queen was it Mike, Victoria ???

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I remember stamps
What The Wtf GIF by Fluffy Friends

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Well I'm with you.....had no idea. I used a stamp that had been sat in my desk tidy for probably a couple of years to send a christmas card to my ex.

I better message her and tell her not to bother going to get it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Although annoying, the Post Office was running an " Amnesty " for old stamps to be swapped FOC for new stamps of the same value, I swapped about two dozen easy peasy.
It simply passed me by.

My fault, I guess.

:confused:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well I'm with you.....had no idea. I used a stamp that had been sat in my desk tidy for probably a couple of years to send a christmas card to my ex.

I better message her and tell her not to bother going to get it.
Well, this thread has at least done one person a good turn.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas yourself :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I bought a book (of 4) 1st class stamps this week, to send a couple of late cards, and they had the Queen's head on them, so if they are no longer valid, why are they still being sold?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I bought a book (of 4) 1st class stamps this week, to send a couple of late cards, and they had the Queen's head on them, so if they are no longer valid, why are they still being sold?
It's non QR code stamps that are not valid.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I used up all my (6) stamps to enter some ITV competition, thinking that most people would just text, and they had to take at least a postal entry or two.
Won bugger all, but a lot cheaper than the £1 or £2 they were charging for texts...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here