Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Staff who work from home after pandemic 'should pay more tax'

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You can, as mentioned previously in the thread (posts 11 and 33), for use of electricity and heating.

Personally I don't see why the state (or you and I if you prefer) should be paying for this. If I was in the office, this would be one of the basic things that my employer would pay for, so I think they should be paying for what I need to home work

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Like it or not, this pandemic has cost a fortune and we will have to pay for it one way or another and i'm quite prepared to pay more tax as furlough has come at a cost and someone needs to pay it. That said, taxing people more for working from home is a piss take and a flawed argument. For example, "But no-one is eating out" I don't go without lunch you brainless morons because i'm working from home and lose track of time. I might buy from a local sandwich shop or increase the weekly shopping. I still have to buy lunch. The clothing argument is equally as worthless. I'm not in Next every week buying shirts and ties because I work in an office - We all dress like the homeless most of the time at our place unless the customer is coming in and my additional trakky bottom collection has come at a price. Admittedly, the nearest boozer to my work is losing out but the team still seems to be hanging out their arses at various stages and getting through enough booze. We haven't become tea total all of a sudden.

Just because some shit for brains German bank is paying some shiny suited commercial landlord over the odds for their city centre building with a view of the Thames doesn't mean everyone else should pay for it.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
As a matter of interest, how many people here have had good ideas as a result of a chat around the coffee machine, which appears to be one of the favourite claims for the benefit of office working!?

In my experience most conversations around the coffee machine centre around the new girl/guy in personnel or how crap the coffee is rather than serious conversations about the latest corporate strategy!

Maybe it’s just me.......?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think tax policy has to be shaped not only by what is fair in a post-Covid world but also what is good for the environment , whilst factoring in a plan to reinvigorate town centres and prevent them from becoming ghost towns.

Employers are facing a triple whammy: having to pay for unused office space, higher costs with WTO tariffs in a No Deal scenario and higher taxes as we start to pay for Covid.

They are also less likely to retain an office in a town centre if other support businesses are closing all around them, like cafes, restaurants, grocery stores, bakers, chemists.

On a macro level, keeping taxes as they are WILL be putting more money into the pockets of businesses and workers that are run from home, as they will save on commuting and will recover time to enable them to do more stuff around the house they might otherwise have paid other people to do.

So a tax rise of, say, 5% might go unnoticed for homeworkers in terms of cashflow, but would be a bitter blow for those that already commute.

I think a lot of people would be content to pay 5% more tax and work from home. The way to achieve this would be to raise income tax by 5% generally but allow employers based in a defined 'zone' to apply a 5% tax allowance to their employee salaries. I think this would make a real difference to the incomes of employees working in a town centre and also employers having to pay over less PAYE to HMRC.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
for years we've had employers moving away from expensive areas, largely at the expense of employees. . . be thast away from cities, town centres or upping sticks from Brighton and going to Doncaster!

I can work from home some of the time If I have to ( or was allowed) but the nature of project design engineering means access and proximity to group design team and the manufacturing facility.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just because some shit for brains German bank is paying some shiny suited commercial landlord over the odds for their city centre building with a view of the Thames doesn't mean everyone else should pay for it.

Banks generally don't have shit for brains. I have heard from a friend working for a major bank in the City that their employer:

1 Built their office block at a cost of X
2 Sold it to a landlord for 2X
3 Lent the landlord the money to buy the property thus garnering fees and interest on the loan
4.Will no doubt take back the building when the landlord collapses because of the drop in demand for office space.
5.Then repurpose it as residential and make another fortune.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think a lot of people would be content to pay 5% more tax and work from home. The way to achieve this would be to raise income tax by 5% generally but allow employers based in a defined 'zone' to apply a 5% tax allowance to their employee salaries. I think this would make a real difference to the incomes of employees working in a town centre and also employers having to pay over less PAYE to HMRC.

i dont think many people would support it at all. taxes are based on principle of everyone broadly paying the same rate. such a change of taxation would lead unintended consequences, firstly further increasing rent/property prices in town centres, then companies setting up in town centres having more work from home to save office space...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Like it or not, this pandemic has cost a fortune and we will have to pay for it one way or another and i'm quite prepared to pay more tax as furlough has come at a cost and someone needs to pay it. That said, taxing people more for working from home is a piss take and a flawed argument. For example, "But no-one is eating out" I don't go without lunch you brainless morons because i'm working from home and lose track of time. I might buy from a local sandwich shop or increase the weekly shopping. I still have to buy lunch. The clothing argument is equally as worthless. I'm not in Next every week buying shirts and ties because I work in an office - We all dress like the homeless most of the time at our place unless the customer is coming in and my additional trakky bottom collection has come at a price. Admittedly, the nearest boozer to my work is losing out but the team still seems to be hanging out their arses at various stages and getting through enough booze. We haven't become tea total all of a sudden.

You must have to much money if your happy to pay the debt for people having a year of work with full pay. No such luxuries existed for millions of people

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think tax policy has to be shaped not only by what is fair in a post-Covid world but also what is good for the environment , whilst factoring in a plan to reinvigorate town centres and prevent them from becoming ghost towns.

Employers are facing a triple whammy: having to pay for unused office space, higher costs with WTO tariffs in a No Deal scenario and higher taxes as we start to pay for Covid.

They are also less likely to retain an office in a town centre if other support businesses are closing all around them, like cafes, restaurants, grocery stores, bakers, chemists.

On a macro level, keeping taxes as they are WILL be putting more money into the pockets of businesses and workers that are run from home, as they will save on commuting and will recover time to enable them to do more stuff around the house they might otherwise have paid other people to do.

So a tax rise of, say, 5% might go unnoticed for homeworkers in terms of cashflow, but would be a bitter blow for those that already commute.

Erm ..raise income tax by 5% how’s that work for those who can’t work from home and don’t even work in an office or indeed any building

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Erm ..raise income tax by 5% how’s that work for those who can’t work from home and don’t even work in an office or indeed any building

The self-employed already have their own Class of National Insurance (2 and 4) so already pay tax at a different rate to employees. HMRC could simply adjust their Class 4 NI rate, as it is the Class 2 that buys state pension and sick pay, while they pay 3% less than the employed.

I already regard the current tax regime as disfunctional and not fit for purpose in a diverse economy with increasing fluidity as to employment status, however if you want to protect town centres then having some sort of tax incentive to keep both businesses and employees there makes sense.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You must have to much money if your happy to pay the debt for people having a year of work with full pay. No such luxuries existed for millions of people

My work has probably trebled during COVID (for no extra pay naturally) and in that context is "unfair" that I should then suffer an additional tax burden to pay for people who sat on their arse at 80%. In the bigger picture though, what was the alternative? Furlough has kept businesses afloat, people in homes - accepting some people have slipped through the net in the scheme - and stopped the spread of COVID by keeping people out of work unnecessarily. I'm no lover of this government and on balance think it has been the worst in my lifetime but they've done about as well as they could economically even if they have made some cock ups along the way (School meals).

Given the money has gone, it's got to come back from somewhere and I don't think we can be shocked when taxes go up. As much as we'd like Jeff Bezos to cough more up, it won't happen.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not to sure about that many Londoners have been given grants by their companies to build a decent office space at home and never going back in the office.

Really? I live in London and have many professional friends, acquaintances, and interact with literary hundreds of agency and supplier staff on our projects and I don't know one single person who's been afforded that luxury. I even work in digital which would be the most likely industry to be implementing that stuff.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Really? I live in London and have many professional friends, acquaintances, and interact with literary hundreds of agency and supplier staff on our projects and I don't know one single person who's been afforded that luxury. I even work in digital which would be the most likely industry to be implementing that stuff.

With ca. 1,500 people in the London office, we've been given given a budget of £200 each to buy office equipment , e.g a monitor to go with our laptops, but nothing major.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I know quite a lot of companies have. Unity , the tech company in Brighton gave everyone £200 at the beginning of lockdown I think and then gave them another £250 recently to be spent on stuff to make working from home more comfortable

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I’ve just had an email to say they are sending me a new laptop, two monitors, and a new office chair!

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012

We were given 400GBP and a hamper :rock:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Our office closed in June as the lease was up. We've taken a small shared space in the same town for a couple of the most senior managers to go in and a Finance person and everyone else has worked from home since March. When we tidied the office and put belongings into storage for a post pandemic proper office every staff member was given the option of taking their office chair, keyboard and monitor with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here