Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Staff who work from home after pandemic 'should pay more tax'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Err, quite clearly as they say, transport, food, lunchtime shopping etc . . . . one thing this has all highlighted is how hideously overblown the cost of commercial work space is. . . here's hoping life gets simpler and cheaper as a consequence. . .

Yes, but instead of spending my money on those things I spend more on heating, electricity, food from the supermarket and, outside lockdown, going out in the evening as I have more money in my pocket. As a remote worker I don't contribute less to the economic infrastructure - my money just goes to different parts of the economy.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
People frequently tell me that banks dont have a lot of power, meaning there should be no way this ridiculous idea comes true.

However, that flawed part of my brain that you are aware of tells me a different story

Don't want to derail the thread, but I've always though banks, big business and 'the City' have far too much power over governments, and thus over the rest of us.

How often are we told/warned that if an elected government promises or pursues particular policies to benefit ordinary people, banks and firms will relocate overseas, taking their jobs and tax contributions with them.

Politicians can't simply ask themselves: "Will this policy benefit ordinary voters and/or make Britain a better place to live and work?", but first have to ask: "Will this policy be acceptable to big business and the City?"

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes, but instead of spending my money on those things I spend more on heating, electricity, food from the supermarket and, outside lockdown, going out in the evening as I have more money in my pocket. As a remote worker I don't contribute less to the economic infrastructure - my money just goes to different parts of the economy.

well yes, we all spend our money . . . . Its a dafdt idea, I don't disagree, but they do have a valid reason for suggesting it . . . .it's just easy to offset, just a money go round to try and catch peole out.

I went back to work in an office, as opposed to at home, a year ago now, earning more, but spending it on petrol and getting people to do stuff I no longer have time to do myself . . . . :rolleyes:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Unable to work from home since the start of the pandemic due to a ridiculous shared phone line in my place of work, 3 people, one number and IT, go figure. The upside is that I have had a distraction/purpose throughout one of the harshest lockdowns in the developed world.

I really do not believe in working from home for the majority of people is efficient, for some yes, for most no. But I have been spending a hundred dollars a week in tolls and fuel while some of my colleagues have been sat at home producing far less than normal. Now some want to continue into the future, mmmmmmmmmmmm..........

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Would make more sense if the £5000 I paid to the train company was tax deductible, but it wasn't / isn't. I choose to live / work where I do so its at my cost to make it work, why should I be screwed for more tax because commuting is not happening / may never be the same.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
amusing coming from Deutsche Bank, widely tipped as bank most likely to collapse and require massive state support.

the rationale is peculiar, to support infrastructure, dont know if its mis-interpreted. those at home are using less infrastructure than those, er, using it. logically it follows someone living closer to work should be paying some work proximity tax. daft.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not a chance I will be doing everything possible to pay less tax after the government failed the self employed during this pandemic.

Not really a question about vengeance on an unpopular government though is it.

We've borrowed £100s of bn (rightly or wrongly) and we'll need to borrow much more to support the rebuild of the economy. At some point, we'll presumably have to pay some back

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Really bizarre logic in this. Like others have said homeworkers are still spending money, just on different things. Got to say my neighbours are keeping deliveroo in business at lunchtime getting food delivered rather than make a sandwich at home again.

Also applying the logic they should be taxed more as they aren't helping the economy surely that means unemployed people and those unable to work due to health problems or disabilities should be on the highest tax bands?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's a weird one for me personally.

I'm lucky to have a job that enables me to work from home. It's looking like, when this is all over, we'll continue working from home because we've proven to be as effective, if not more in some cases, in delivering our work. But some of the arguments put forth in that report certainly don't apply to me, nor many others.

I walked to my office so wasn't paying anything toward commuting.
I took in my own lunch so wasn't supporting local shops / restaurants with my custom at lunch time.
Since working from home I've had to buy myself a decent chair and a couple of bits of tech which my company refused to pay for because the pandemic is a "temporary situation".
Now we're in the cold months I'm also paying more on heating my home during the day.

So whilst I'm lucky to work from home it does have its own associated costs. I don't feel I should have to pay a tax because I wouldn't be paying into systems I wasn't paying into before.

It really stinks of "tax everyone except us, the bankers and landlords".

You can claim the working from home allowance on Gov.uk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe...and here's a radical thought...maybe what they should do is to tax rich people and businesses more?

I mean, I know, this is crazy, out of the box thinking here...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Very twatty idea and would be open to abuse

An online sales tax of say 1 or 2% would be a far better idea.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maybe...and here's a radical thought...maybe what they should do is to tax rich people and businesses more?

I mean, I know, this is crazy, out of the box thinking here...

We've recently elected a party, who have never stood on a platform of tax increases for the wealthy. The country has chosen not to do this.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not really a question about vengeance on an unpopular government though is it.

We've borrowed £100s of bn (rightly or wrongly) and we'll need to borrow much more to support the rebuild of the economy. At some point, we'll presumably have to pay some back

Or not. Just throw the debt in the bin. It would be the best thing for everyone who does not own a bank or equivalent. Its not some kind of law of nature that you cant regulate the banking system.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You really are naive to an infantile level. If you throw all debt and infrastructure away, you are left with anarchy.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Or not. Just throw the debt in the bin. It would be the best thing for everyone who does not own a bank or equivalent. Its not some kind of law of nature that you cant regulate the banking system.

Ah, the CPFC approach.

Most of the debt is to pension funds, institutional investors etc, who we might (will) want to borrow from in the future. Not all is to the BoE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here