[News] Staff who work from home after pandemic 'should pay more tax'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are various printing money type options which may help, but ultimately, we're going to need to have a grown up national conversation when this is all over about what the best plan is for getting the public finances in some sort of order.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We carried out some research about future work habits. The majority of people under 35 said they would actively pursue roles that enabled office and in person working over working from home.

We also spoke to PWC who said they are seeing really negative impacts on work effectiveness, collaboration culture, and employee mental health from away from office working and will be actively encouraging people back into work spaces as soon as possible.

From personal experience we have been running workshops to create our new business model and plan post covid and it’s been a car crash trying to do it remotely, so much so that the 20 people involved all opted to travel to York for the last two days to get it done properly.

I really think the forecasts of ongoing permanent home working are way off what will be future reality.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We carried out some research about future work habits. The majority of people under 35 said they would actively pursue roles that enabled office and in person working over working from home.

We also spoke to PWC who said they are seeing really negative impacts on work effectiveness, collaboration culture, and employee mental health from away from office working and will be actively encouraging people back into work spaces as soon as possible.

From personal experience we have been running workshops to create our new business model and plan post covid and it’s been a car crash trying to do it remotely, so much so that the 20 people involved all opted to travel to York for the last two days to get it done properly.

I really think the forecasts of ongoing permanent home working are way off what will be future reality.

Mostly agree. But I think people who have worked from home once a month previously will now work from home a couple of days a week in future

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You really are naive to an infantile level. If you throw all debt and infrastructure away, you are left with anarchy.

Indeed. Not the worst outcome. There are three options:

1) governments paying massive money to the lenders for many, many generations, unable to support society and possibly going bankrupt

2) anarchy

3) a new system

Ah, the CPFC approach.

Most of the debt is to pension funds, institutional investors etc, who we might (will) want to borrow from in the future. Not all is to the BoE

Im well aware.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Almost impossible to implement.

How are HMRC going to know which parts of any given tax year that people worked from home. Especially people changing employments throughout the year where some you do work from home and some you don't. It would be an Administrative nightmare

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not surprised and agree the fanfare for home working is overblown. the change will be more acceptance and flexibility allowing working from home where suitable.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Mostly agree. But I think people who have worked from home once a month previously will now work from home a couple of days a week in future

Yep can see this flexiblility to work at home work being one of the legacies of the pandemic. Myself I do miss the interaction and team bonding that going into the office makes but also enjoy having a bit more time for family/home life that working from home brings. Can see myself asking my employer if I can WFH a couple of days a week once this is all over.

Company I work from surveyed the entire UK workforce months ago and the majority were in favour of a wfh/office split. The shift is already starting with the lease on one of their Scottish offices not being renewed, and the remaining one in the same town being geared up for part time attendance for most. Companies have identified large savings in real estate and associated costs can be made.

The genie is out of the bottle now and city landlords are going to have to think about what they do with empty office space. Converting it into homes would seem the logical option. Most younger people prefer the buzz of being centrally located and it would supply a customer base to the bars and shops that used to rely on office workers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The flip side is that experience with remote working technology will now open pathways for collaborations which would previously not have been possible, or considered, in the face-2-face world.

It depends on what type of work you do I guess; but I can see pluses and minuses with both face-2-face and remote working but have never seen any meaningful overwhelming evidence either way. Most stuff I have read is anecdotal but I’m happy to be challenged on this.

There is also the coworking space option which always gets overlooked in these discussions as well I.e you don’t commute to the office and you don’t work at home either.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What could radically change though is the flexibility. You've given a bit of a binary choice between WFH and going to an office. However companies could reduce the amount of floor space they need if their workforce is continued to be divided into teams going forwards. Green team in one week, Red team the next, 50% less office space required, or however you split the time use.

What larger companies and organisations have now that they didn't in the past is real statistics for productivity for alternative ways of working, and how that works for their business. I agree with you that the office isn't going away, and there are valuable reasons for face to face meetings, those chance conversations over a cuppa that lead to a good idea etc. but I think the 5 days per week 9 to 5 commuting into offices could change.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I'm not so sure, It is very industry specific . . . . Having been at home 12 years a year ago I went back to the office and have been daily throughout this year, unnecessarily so IMO. Mrs Zef has been at home since February.

3 in the office and 2 at home would suit me perfectly and would also help redress the balance with Mrs Zef carrying the home can. . . . a mix is, for the majority, probnably the best. We're lucky in having the space to be able to do it as well.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What could radically change though is the flexibility. You've given a bit of a binary choice between WFH and going to an office. However companies could reduce the amount of floor space they need if their workforce is continued to be divided into teams going forwards. Green team in one week, Red team the next, 50% less office space required, or however you split the time use.

What larger companies and organisations have now that they didn't in the past is real statistics for productivity for alternative ways of working, and how that works for their business. I agree with you that the office isn't going away, and there are valuable reasons for face to face meetings, those chance conversations over a cuppa that lead to a good idea etc. but I think the 5 days per week 9 to 5 commuting into offices could change.

I totally agree there will be more balance to work/life but a group of people think that mostly home working is going to be the norm and it really isn't.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I totally agree there will be more balance to work/life but a group of people think that mostly home working is going to be the norm and it really isn't.
Not to sure about that many Londoners have been given grants by their companies to build a decent office space at home and never going back in the office.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Surely anyone who helps the environment by working from home should get a tax deduction not a tax penalty ? ???

:shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm on NSC loads more at home than I was in the office.

Don't have anyone looking over my shoulder here.

Productivity down / post count up

Bet a mod could confirm that daytime in the week use of NSC is higher than this time last year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports