Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stadium Upgrades

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You think Paul Barber decides ? Anything like this is a board decision, funded by Tony Bloom. So safe standing is firmly with Tony
Absolutely not, of course not. He's just the mouthpiece. I fully appreciate that, like I said he's always right so if this is wrong, it isn't him

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Pre match yesterday, what was that light show about?! Haha Not sure what to think of it. Rather we didn’t have that every game, a bit tinpot.

Was this part of the upgrades?

Also, the work that went on for fan experiences in the West Stand, was there any difference? Couldn’t see it from North

They have installed more TVs on the concourse walls. I’m pretty sure these were in place at the beginning of the season though. Not sure there has been any other change other than the hidden tunnel club work.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Up to Tony I guess. He stemmed £53M of losses last season, so guess he’s prioritising the playing squad and other revenue generating works first

I still think the biggest issue is where do you put it and what do you do about those in seats who don’t want it
Does this include the 175 million + transfere fees we have received

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does this include the 175 million + transfere fees we have received
It includes whatever transfer fees were received to that period yes

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You also fail to mention that, as I understand, there are is no interest due either. As for repayments, wasn't the deal with the stadium money that if it hadn't been repaid by a certain date then it would be converted into shares? Perhaps EP might know more.

I wonder whether EP would agree with your interpretation or whether it is irrelevant as TB is the underwriter that you refer to.
This piece would suggest shares are also another financial instrument…

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It includes whatever transfer fees were received to that period yes
Also it does have to be noted a lot of the losses are purely accounting figures against investments such as the stadium. There's no doubt Tony has ploughed more money in but not by the amount stated as a loss, also the figures people believe we received as sales of players are not correct as many will be paid in instalments so will be drip fed into the accounts.

Apart from the bank loan against the TV money, which would have now been paid off but a new may well have been taken out, all the money is owed to one person. Therefore our credit rating as a business must be one of the highest in the league as any securities are only to Tony.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’ve said it before, but maintenance and cleaning is just as important as upgrading. Some parts looking a touch tired and needing a good scrub/lick of paint.
I agree. Barber has said they are looking into the roof (seeing as it's now a dirty green) etc.

I do look at grounds we visit that are still considered new however many would now be 20 years old and they all show signs of neglect.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can you clarify exactly where the money is coming from to stem the losses then if it isn't TB?

As for standing, great idea for the North Stand......except of course people already stand in the North!!!!
I don't think I have sat for a game in the North since the championship, and I'm 2/3rds of the way up in line with the 18 yard box, so I guess the vast majority of the North is now standing :shrug:

Although it is nice to give my knees a rest at halftime on a comfy seat (Ben Roberts aside) :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The club will resist this until the last possible moment. It’s not a money spinner for them.

Meanwhile, everywhere else it’s happening in the name of fan experience.
Having done some aways since it came in at other clubs I would say it's the very opposite of fan experience.

Having "stood safely" twice at Spurs the atmosphere was no better than Old Trafford where we stood naturally and the goal celebration moments are more constrained - the bars stop proper "limbs" celebrations. Meanwhile, the atmosphere in the home safe standing section in the corner of the Stretford End at OT was terrible, while at Wolves a lot of the home fans in safe standing areas were actually sitting.

IMO it will be a lot of expense for extremely minimal gain. I always thought I'd be in favour. Having seen it at work, I'm against.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't think I have sat for a game in the North since the championship, and I'm 2/3rds of the way up in line with the 18 yard box, so I guess the vast majority of the North is now standing :shrug:

Although it is nice to give my knees a rest at halftime on a comfy seat (Ben Roberts aside) :wink:
I've never been in an area of the North stand where the majority of people around me are standing. Which isn't to say that plenty of people don't, but it's not my experience that the whole stand is, erm, standing.
I find safe standing rails help with my bad back at away games. Also pretty sure I've always been able to use the seat.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Having done some aways since it came in at other clubs I would say it's the very opposite of fan experience.

Having "stood safely" twice at Spurs the atmosphere was no better than Old Trafford where we stood naturally and the goal celebration moments are more constrained - the bars stop proper "limbs" celebrations. Meanwhile, the atmosphere in the home safe standing section in the corner of the Stretford End at OT was terrible, while at Wolves a lot of the home fans in safe standing areas were actually sitting.

IMO it will be a lot of expense for extremely minimal gain. I always thought I'd be in favour. Having seen it at work, I'm against.
I've found the rails worked well at Chelsea and Liverpool, on the other hand.
Agree that the atmosphere at Tottenham was crap at the FA Cup game last season. Although where I was I thought that was largely down to a shit game and the weird set up there where the hospitality is immediately behind where I was sat.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don’t agree with standing , it’s too tiring unless you are under 35 ! Seating only . Same at concerts .

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Don’t agree with standing , it’s too tiring unless you are under 35 ! Seating only . Same at concerts .
I’m 48 soon, give me standing at a gig any day of the week. I’d be up for standing at football too but the safe standing rails are crap and prevent a proper celebration in my view.

If you can’t stand for a couple of hours I’d suggest taking a look at some of your lifestyle choices.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I’m 48 soon, give me standing at a gig any day of the week. I’d be up for standing at football too but the safe standing rails are crap and prevent a proper celebration in my view.

If you can’t stand for a couple of hours I’d suggest taking a look at some of your lifestyle choices.
Are you suggesting I should eat less, drink less and get more exercise?
How very dare you.:angry:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The club will resist this until the last possible moment. It’s not a money spinner for them.

Meanwhile, everywhere else it’s happening in the name of fan experience.
The club has never resisted it. If anything, the fans did.

When the club sought opinions on this - way ahead of every other club - the reaction that came back from the fans was basically ambivalence. If we actually want it, we shout for it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Also it does have to be noted a lot of the losses are purely accounting figures against investments such as the stadium. There's no doubt Tony has ploughed more money in but not by the amount stated as a loss, also the figures people believe we received as sales of players are not correct as many will be paid in instalments so will be drip fed into the accounts.
Money received in transfer fees all goes into the accounts for the year the transfer is completed, even if the actual cash is paid in instalments.

Next lot of accounts, which are for season 21/22, will reflect the circa £70m player trading income from White, Burn and a number of other players fetching smaller fees.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

When the club sought opinions on this - way ahead of every other club - the reaction that came back from the fans was basically ambivalence. If we actually want it, we shout for it.
Was going to post this myself. Didn’t PB hold a forum on it about 5-6 years ago, and hardly anyone turned up?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Are you referring to the 33 fans who attended a forum on the subject or the survey the club ran back in 2016? I can’t find these results anywhere.

Either way, a lot has changed. Perhaps now is the time to reignite the debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here