Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stadium Upgrades

Pre match yesterday, what was that light show about?! Haha Not sure what to think of it. Rather we didn’t have that every game, a bit tinpot.

Was this part of the upgrades?

Also, the work that went on for fan experiences in the West Stand, was there any difference? Couldn’t see it from North.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And how’s the Tunnel Club coming along? Anyone sit nearby?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One minor update is that the back row of the away director‘s box has now been converted to 1901 Platinum Plus.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Only foundation work was done during the break. The noticeable stuff will be done in the Summer.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Dare I ask whether we can have safe standing out in place?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The club will resist this until the last possible moment. It’s not a money spinner for them.

Meanwhile, everywhere else it’s happening in the name of fan experience.
Up to Tony I guess. He stemmed £53M of losses last season, so guess he’s prioritising the playing squad and other revenue generating works first

I still think the biggest issue is where do you put it and what do you do about those in seats who don’t want it

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Up to Tony I guess. He stemmed £53M of losses last season, so guess he’s prioritising the playing squad and other revenue generating works first

I still think the biggest issue is where do you put it and what do you do about those in seats who don’t want it
While I agree with you that TB is doing a great job as custodian of BHA, can we all agree that it’s BHA that is stemming losses and not an individual. The value of the asset, and the guaranteed revenue is big enough to turn to an underwriter to stem losses. Not taking anything away from TB, but he is running a football business (albeit for pleasure.)

On standing, I would suggest that fan experience fuels atmosphere which can more quickly lead to a more passionate relationship between fans and players on the pitch. That can lead to a lift in performance on occasion.

When to put it? North Stand and South West Corner. What to do about those that want to move/stay? Start with half the North Stand and shift those that don’t want to stand out to other seats. It’s a tough call, but there you go. After all, the club is pretty good at taking draconian decisions (eg 10 game bans) just crack on with it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When to put it? North Stand and South West Corner. What to do about those that want to move/stay? Start with half the North Stand and shift those that don’t want to stand out to other seats. It’s a tough call, but there you go. After all, the club is pretty good at taking draconian decisions (eg 10 game bans) just crack on with it.
SWC I’d agree. But north stand is majority people who have had their seat since it opened, given the high % of season tickets we have there would be minimal spare seat, so I’d not be happy being moved to another stand. But you talk about fan experience, but moving loyal fans is the opposite of that is it not

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
While I agree with you that TB is doing a great job as custodian of BHA, can we all agree that it’s BHA that is stemming losses and not an individual. The value of the asset, and the guaranteed revenue is big enough to turn to an underwriter to stem losses. Not taking anything away from TB, but he is running a football business (albeit for pleasure.)

On standing, I would suggest that fan experience fuels atmosphere which can more quickly lead to a more passionate relationship between fans and players on the pitch. That can lead to a lift in performance on occasion.

Can you clarify exactly where the money is coming from to stem the losses then if it isn't TB?

As for standing, great idea for the North Stand......except of course people already stand in the North!!!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Can you clarify exactly where the money is coming from to stem the losses then if it isn't TB?

As for standing, great idea for the North Stand......except of course people already stand in the North!!!!
The money comes from TB, of course. But it isn’t written off. It’s secured as a loan. What’s so generous is that there is no payback timetable. But, assuming the valuation of the club matches the loans (which I doubt it does at this stage), then if sold, TB would get that money back. It’s a balance sheet at the end of the day.

On North Stand, I’d say that 70% stand and 30% don’t. That should make it easy to shuffle round and improve fan experience without putting people out too much.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
SWC I’d agree. But north stand is majority people who have had their seat since it opened, given the high % of season tickets we have there would be minimal spare seat, so I’d not be happy being moved to another stand. But you talk about fan experience, but moving loyal fans is the opposite of that is it not
I empathise with those that have been in those seats 10 years. But in the last 26 years we’ve played at 4 different grounds, so accepting that change might be a short term shock but not a long term catastrophe.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate like all clubs lost money during covid. However since than have received £150/200m in transfers including Potter payment, Bigger TV fee for where we finished last season and payment for W/C players. Cant be short of money. Surely some can be invested in improving fan experience including improving travel and looking into safe standing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No. You can't ask. You'll be told that you are wrong if you do. OBEs are always right.
You think Paul Barber decides ? Anything like this is a board decision, funded by Tony Bloom. So safe standing is firmly with Tony

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The money comes from TB, of course. But it isn’t written off. It’s secured as a loan. What’s so generous is that there is no payback timetable. But, assuming the valuation of the club matches the loans (which I doubt it does at this stage), then if sold, TB would get that money back. It’s a balance sheet at the end of the day.

On North Stand, I’d say that 70% stand and 30% don’t. That should make it easy to shuffle round and improve fan experience without putting people out too much.
You also fail to mention that, as I understand, there are is no interest due either. As for repayments, wasn't the deal with the stadium money that if it hadn't been repaid by a certain date then it would be converted into shares? Perhaps EP might know more.

I wonder whether EP would agree with your interpretation or whether it is irrelevant as TB is the underwriter that you refer to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here