Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium expansion. Have we goofed up?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For a long term view, I always thought 30k would be on the small side

Same here.
Not because of the (sneered at by some) JCL's, but in general the vast underlying fan base when the club is on the right tracks eg the Bamber era, and the huge Sussex catchment of 1.5 million is virtually all to our self.

But the 22,500 a great start at the time.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Same here.
Not because of the (sneered at by some) JCL's, but in general the vast underlying fan base when the club is on the right tracks eg the Bamber era, and the huge Sussex catchment of 1.5 million is virtually all to our self.

But the 22,500 a great start at the time.

It's a fine line between success and and a half empty stadium though

el punal

Getting ahead of myself a bit, but lets just fantasise about 5 years time from now. We are an established Premier League team, on the up with a growing support.

in he meantime fellow south coast club Southampton, have bolted on another tier onto the Ikea flat pack that is St Marys, increasing to 40k.

we on the other hand still have our wonderfully designed stadium, but suddenly find we cannot increase capacity further and meet the demand from our new JCLs. What do we do? How have we catered for this inevitable growth in support?
As I live in Southampton :yawn: I have found that a lot of Saints fans reckon that their club have reached their "ceiling" of attendances (32,000) and the chances of exceeding this would be only on an occasional basis against teams like Man.Utd for example. You would also, apart from the cost, have to factor in how the transport system would cope around St.Marys. It's over a mile to the the train station, not on a major access road, and has no major car parking facilities near-by.

The Amex, on the other hand, does now have a fully intergrated transport system in place to deal with 30,000 crowds. And realistically are we, like Southampton, going to regularly exceed that figure?

I would prefer that we played in a packed 30,000 Amex than in a half empty 45,000 ground.

Of course this could all change once we get into the Champions League! :falmer:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I live in Southampton :yawn: I have found that a lot of Saints fans reckon that their club have reached their "ceiling" of attendances (32,000) and the chances of exceeding this would be only on an occasional basis against teams like Man.Utd for example. You would also, apart from the cost, have to factor in how the transport system would cope around St.Marys. It's over a mile to the the train station, not on a major access road, and has no major car parking facilities near-by.

The Amex, on the other hand, does now have a fully intergrated transport system in place to deal with 30,000 crowds. And realistically are we, like Southampton, going to regularly exceed that figure?

I would prefer that we played in a packed 30,000 Amex than in a half empty 45,000 ground.

Of course this could all change once we get into the Champions League! :falmer:

St Mary's even in the PL often has many empty seats.

Southampton, and a couple of nearby towns like Eastleigh and Winchester, does not add up to huge population.
Cannot see them ever having regular crowds similar to big city clubs with legions of fans like Villa, Everton or Spurs.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not that its relevant, 10 year STH at Withdean so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

what precisely am I meant to know smart arse?

we on the other hand still have our wonderfully designed stadium, but suddenly find we cannot increase capacity further and meet the demand from our new JCLs. What do we do? How have we catered for this inevitable growth in support?

So Was I. Smart arse says apologies you mentioned that we cannot increase capacity.. so why did you start this thread?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Just build a new one. There is a retail park that will be up for sale.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would imagine that both Brighton and Southampton could eat a little further into Portsmouth's catchment area within the coming years,depending on how Pompey fare.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This is what gets me about JCLs. If you weren't you would know what you are talking about.

That superior attitude doesn't encourage or welcome any Sussex people who are now attending more games than they ever did at Gillingham or the Withdean. Well done to the die-hards who have always been there but try and think twice before slagging off a new wave of fans that are spending their hard earned money at the club and would like to introduce a new generation of younger fans. 'JCL's' aren't always something to get irritated about.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
In the Prem EVERY game is on tele, and the ticket prices will go up. There will be a small extra demand for tickets but not that crazy. 32.5k will be enough for most teams visiting.

Oh and games are weird days and times too.

I think in addition to the 1.5M Sussex pop. mentioned, we have to be blessed that it's a wealthy area of the country, with less 'exciting' things to do. Other than the London teams we could be the most expensive to watch

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing

So Was I. Smart arse says apologies you mentioned that we cannot increase capacity.. so why did you start this thread?

Sorry, can't answer what I don't understand..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Put in a last moment bid for fratton park and use it exclusively for beam backs when poormpy slide into the inevitable??

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Or alternatively the bubble bursts, we are an established League One team with 15,000 empty seats (cf Darlington).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That superior attitude doesn't encourage or welcome any Sussex people who are now attending more games than they ever did at Gillingham or the Withdean. Well done to the die-hards who have always been there but try and think twice before slagging off a new wave of fans that are spending their hard earned money at the club and would like to introduce a new generation of younger fans. 'JCL's' aren't always something to get irritated about.

Sorry CAB, I am not trying to be superior. I am not. It's just hacks me off sometimes that supporters should have some inkling about the club they are supposed to support. I don't slag off new fans. Read this board and you will learn about the Albion. Cheers

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Getting ahead of myself a bit, but lets just fantasise about 5 years time from now. We are an established Premier League team, on the up with a growing support.

in he meantime fellow south coast club Southampton, have bolted on another tier onto the Ikea flat pack that is St Marys, increasing to 40k.

What a load of rubbish. Firstly Southampton haven't bolted on another tier at all. Where did you get this from? In theory they could but can't see it happening. 31,000 will be fine for BHA, lets wait a while and see where we go and in a few years you can talk about adding more seats if 10,000 people per game can't get a seat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here