Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stadium Bucketlist

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I've never been to any of the Spanish grounds. I'd like to do Barca, both Madrid grounds and Valencia. I've been lucky enough to do San Siro, Allianz Arena, Ajax and Lille.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Of the top of my head I've watched football in:-
Japan - Osaka, Yokohama, Niigata; Korea - Ulsan, Busan, Daegu, Incheon; UAE - National Stadium, Al Wahda, Al Jazira; USA - LA Galaxy; Portugal - Benfica, Sporting, Rio Ave; Spain - Barcelona, Espanyol (Olympic); France - Nantes, Lens; Italy - Bologna, Napoli; Poland - Wroclaw; Germany - Hertha BSC, Hamburg. UK loads

Post Covid - keen to ease myself back in with a Scotland trip as have yet to watch fitba north of the border - Hibs, Dumbarton on the list. Also Scandinavia and Russia

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Been to about 30 stadiums in Europe, mainly in Germany and Holland, as well as pretty much every significant stadium in Sweden. Lots of Swedish teams built new arenas over the last ten years and I'm generally not a fan of any of them - they are all quite anonymous and the new national arena is just poor. Fans make up for it though, games in Stockholm and Malmö and sometimes Gothenburg are incredibly loud by European standards and from the 30+ ones I've been to elsewhere, only really De Kuip (Feyenoord) competes in that regard. And De Kuip is also quite nice in other ways, so its probably my favorite, you get very close to the pitch and the acoustics are great.

Another favorite is the one in my home city (Lund). Klostergårdens IP... team is shit, there's never more than 300 in the crowd, but I love how it is surrounded with wall of green.

View attachment 133897

View attachment 133898

What about the Amex?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What about the Amex?

Will obviously be a priority once I go to England. Its just a lot easier from going to Germany from here, could go in the morning and come home by night (or most often the next morning..). In the Netherlands I just know a lot of people making it very cheap to be there. Going to England requires flying which I've always found to be a bit of a time consuming hassle.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Not many of the grounds I visited in England are still standing. I always liked the 'grand old ladies' of football that grew organically early on within their sites, you could be standing there and nothing much had changed in 80 years or so.

Me too

My all time favourite (excluding the Goldstone of course) was Roker Park

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
3d90f2-20160919-vikings-packers04.jpg

Hands down the best and most spectacular stadium I have ever visited.

As for my bucketlist...The Santiago Bernabeu, San Siro and Arizona Cardinals Glendale stadium.

In fairness that is one amazing stadium....

D66F2095-93A8-4258-AEF6-94875B801797.jpeg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In fairness that is one amazing stadium....

Its stunning isn't it. Modelled to be reminiscent of a Viking longship. Plus its situated smack in the middle of downtown Minneapolis, not miles out of town adjacent to a freeway somewhere. As is their baseball stadium Target Field, only about a mile and a half away, which is also a beautiful modern ballpark (home of the Minnesota Twins). Minneapolis is a terrific city.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Petco Park San Diego is top of my list

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Done quite a lot of the German top 2 divisions now and the main Spanish ones - have tickets to Bilbao in Euros but that won’t happen

Bucket list stadiums still are - and worth a look if you don’t know them

La Bombonera - Boca Juniors.....unsure how this hasn’t been mention yet!!
Benito Villamarin - Real Betis
Cortina D’Ampezzo - Cortina - Olympic ski jumping into football pitch
The Oval - glentoran
Renato Dell’Ara - Bologna

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Done quite a lot of the German top 2 divisions now and the main Spanish ones - have tickets to Bilbao in Euros but that won’t happen

Bucket list stadiums still are - and worth a look if you don’t know them

La Bombonera - Boca Juniors.....unsure how this hasn’t been mention yet!!
Benito Villamarin - Real Betis
Cortina D’Ampezzo - Cortina - Olympic ski jumping into football pitch
The Oval - glentoran
Renato Dell’Ara - Bologna

I've got tickets for San Mames as well, I'm equally pessimistic, have you heard anything specific or just a reasonable assumption?

Incidentally, I went to El Monumental, home to River Plate, when I was in Buenos Aires. If Boca had been playing at home I would have gone there!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I've got tickets for San Mames as well, I'm equally pessimistic, have you heard anything specific or just a reasonable assumption?

Incidentally, I went to El Monumental, home to River Plate, when I was in Buenos Aires. If Boca had been playing at home I would have gone there!

Just an assumption, can’t see them letting fans in, even if they do can’t see me (being unvaccinated still in June) being able to fly to Spain, gutted.

What was River Plate like? I’d love to visit either but think Boca just looks something else!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Just an assumption, can’t see them letting fans in, even if they do can’t see me (being unvaccinated still in June) being able to fly to Spain, gutted.

What was River Plate like? I’d love to visit either but think Boca just looks something else!

Yeah, they might have a reduced capacity but it would probably only be local fans allowed in. A shame but Germany in 2024 has the makings of a great tournament.

Fantastic atmosphere at River Plate, they beat Arsenal (Argie one, not Tony Adam's one) about 4-0 and the ground was buoyant. I had a Enzo Francescoli t-shirt I had randomly bought earlier in the trip , so got a lot of approval for that.

I saw Independiente in the Libertadores Cup against Nacional from Uruguay. We asked a copper where the ticket office was but he just took our money and let us in.

Also saw Racing, where The Greyhound ended up. Cannot remember the opponents or the score, but there were about 4 sendings off! Again, an electric atmosphere.

Buenos Aires, and Argentina, is a fantastic destination, hopefully you can get there soon!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Watching FC Porto v Juventus last night, got to say the Dragao would be a great stadium to visit.

Amex's big brother, and the team play in blue and white, what's not to like?

Would say the usual Nou Camp, Bernabao as San Siro would be on my list too.

Recent overseas stadiums include Giants Stadium , New York. Plus Rogers Centre, Toronto for Blue Jays baseball.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Only about 4 years ago. Just a normal Seria A game, but the atmosphere was ridiculous. We had to stand on the chairs all game, and be part of the flag waving, singing, non stop.

My friend sat down for about 30 seconds and was told in no uncertain terms to stand up or get out. Everyone drinking since seats and a lot of substances going around (don’t think that’s legal but I wasn’t going to tell them!) All in all, was great fun. Go before they knock it down.

Found the picture from pre-game!

18118534_10158588931575301_2724463984765258745_n.jpg

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
It was my first-ever visit to Villa Park on Saturday, what a lovely old ground. Well proportioned and based in the heart of the community, it made a refreshing change from most of the newer stadiums which can feel a bit soulless and plastic. Goodison Park is the only (apart from Brentford) other Premier League ground I haven't been to, hopefully, I can tick that one off in January.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
3d90f2-20160919-vikings-packers04.jpg

Hands down the best and most spectacular stadium I have ever visited.

As for my bucketlist...The Santiago Bernabeu, San Siro and Arizona Cardinals Glendale stadium.

The Bernabeu was terrific when I went there in 1987, when there was still a lot of standing on all four sides. Glendale isn't all that. The best NFL stadiums I've been to are Heinz Field (Pittsburgh) and Levi's Stadium (SF). Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia too. Most places at the top of my my bucket list are ballparks - eg Camden Yards in Baltimore and the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. I've been to Fenway on the tour but not seen a game there, so I need to do that eventually.

Football grounds - Blackpool, Preston, Carlisle, Accrington, Rochdale, Mansfield, Harrogate, Barrow, Fleetwood, Morecambe.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The best NFL stadiums I've been to are Heinz Field (Pittsburgh) and Levi's Stadium (SF). Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia too. Most places at the top of my my bucket list are ballparks - eg Camden Yards in Baltimore and the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. I've been to Fenway on the tour but not seen a game there, so I need to do that eventually.

Done AT&T Park (San Francisco Giants MLB), Everbank (Jacksonville Jags NFL complete with fans in pools) and Dignity Health (LA Galaxy, MLS) - all pretty great and boozy but would love to tick off some of the ones you mention and others up north

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here