St-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-st-uttering

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harvey

Jul 8, 2003
Over there.
Stuttering

Did anyone else watch that programme on BBC 1 last night? a real eye opener. Found it almost hard to believe how bad stutters can be. Especially that guy who actually spasmed when he stuttered. They all came good in the end though. :clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I always feel so sorry for people with chronic stutters. I can't get my head round what actually causes the problem - if you want to say something, just SAY it (you'd think). People with stutters obviously arn't stupid, they know exactly what they want to say, but just seem to get some kind of psychological "jam" on words. Did the programme come up with any answers as to what causes it, and how it can be cured ?
It's such a strange affliction

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of the most irritating things about having a stutter must be when every bugger finishes the sentence for you cos they're either trying to help or losing patience.

Sorry Trotster that language was terrible. But it's not funny to take the piss out of people with that kind of disadvantage. Especially on a board where there are so many people who could have that problem.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
BrightonBird said:
Sorry Trotster that language was terrible. But it's not funny to take the piss out of people with that kind of disadvantage. Especially on a board where there are so many people who could have that problem.

Come off it, most jokes in the world are taking the piss out of some unfortunate affliction or another. Mostly you can have a chuckle, then feel a bit ashamed that you laughed, then forget it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are unsympathetic towards someone else's situation.

For instance, I'm sure someone missed the programme about narcolepsy because they fell asleep.

Now, did you hear the one about Gareth gates................... :)

Last edited:

Highfields Seagull said:
Come off it, most jokes in the world are taking the piss out of some unfortunate affliction or another. Mostly you can have a chuckle, then feel a bit ashamed that you laughed, then forget it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are unsympathetic towards someone elses situation.

Now, did you hear the one about Gareth gates................... :)

Yes, I know that, but some jokes shouldn't be put on here as you don't know someone'e personal life. My cousin was bullied badly for having a stutter when he was younger and was beaten up, etc. So it's a bit of a sore spot for me. He wasn't to know, but should have realised that someone if not more would not find it funny. Keep some jokes to your mates - where you know their history.

I realise I sound like an old women - trust me, I do have a cracking sense of humour - but this time I don't. Sorry. :(

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I dont stutter, but after a few beers, and my usual trying to talk toooooo fast, I jumble my first letter around . .or lomithing sike that :D

if you cant laugh at yourself then your in trouble!

BB . . . . .did you like Open all hours?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Of course the beauty of internet message boards and chat sites is that you can have a fluent conversation with no embarrassment even if you have a stutter.

How many people on here are more articulate when using a keyboard? Perhaps we'll have nothing to say on Sat! Until the alcohol kicks in of course....

zefarelly said:
I dont stutter, but after a few beers, and my usual trying to talk toooooo fast, I jumble my first letter around . .or lomithing sike that :D

if you cant laugh at yourself then your in trouble!

BB . . . . .did you like Open all hours?

Yeah, I asked for that. Sorry but it's something that the whole of our family get annoyed with.

If you come to the do, I'll show you that I am not miserable and wet like some people think! I do have a sense of humour - but it's too dry for some people. I think it'll be lost on a few!;)

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
If you didnt post as much BB and in every single thread, then Im sure you wouldnt get as wound up as you do.

From ur last couple of posts Im guessing u want us to know u have an amazing sense of humour ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
really Beeney . . . . Iwas wondering whether she might be a closet miserable git :lolol:

see you Sat for a laugh and a half then !:p

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Easy 10 said:
I always feel so sorry for people with chronic stutters. I can't get my head round what actually causes the problem - if you want to say something, just SAY it (you'd think). People with stutters obviously arn't stupid, they know exactly what they want to say, but just seem to get some kind of psychological "jam" on words. Did the programme come up with any answers as to what causes it, and how it can be cured ?
It's such a strange affliction

The programme stated that the message sent from the brain to the mouth/voicebox misfires in a similar way to when a person has an epileptic fit.

What was fascinating with one bloke was that he could talk perfectly when he spoke very slowly, even stranger was that 95% of stutterers hace no problems AT ALL when they sing such as Mr Gates !!

I thought it was very interesting indeed

Harvey

Jul 8, 2003
Over there.
. Did the programme come up with any answers as to what causes it, and how it can be cured ?
It's such a strange affliction [/B][/QUOTE]

The most interesting thing was, the main perspective on it was that stuttering isn't a disease, it's a habit that needs to be broken.

There was this one bloke who constantly stuttered whether talking to his girlfriend, family, or on the phone, but when he spoke to his new-born baby, the problem evaporated. Really odd. The problem remained other than when he spoke to his kid.

One of the 'cures' was to go to intensive speech therapy courses based on how opera singers use intake of air to variate note patterns and stuff. Also interesting because chronic stutterers don't have problems when singing...ala Gareth Gates. Suprised they didn;t mention or feature him actually.

Harvey

Jul 8, 2003
Over there.
[
What was fascinating with one bloke was that he could talk perfectly when he spoke very slowly, even stranger was that 95% of stutterers hace no problems AT ALL when they sing such as Mr Gates !!

I thought it was very interesting indeed [/B][/QUOTE]

Great minds....:wave:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i've got a bit of a lisp and i used to get taken the piss out of me for it

but i can laugh about it .thread closed !

Highfields Seagull said:
Come off it, most jokes in the world are taking the piss out of some unfortunate affliction or another. Mostly you can have a chuckle, then feel a bit ashamed that you laughed, then forget it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are unsympathetic towards someone else's situation.

For instance, I'm sure someone missed the programme about narcolepsy because they fell asleep.

Bollocks!.....Your pathetic explanation is the classic excuse that many bullies give to justify their actions. I find it hard to get my head round it, when somebody finds another persons handicap, whether it be mental or physical, something to get a cheap laugh from. "Feel a bit ashamed afterwards"??.....Then think about it first?!........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports