Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] St. George's Day at Wembley

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From Wiki:

'Nothing is known of his life or reign from contemporary written sources'

Three cheers for, erm, random bloke who nobody knows anything about.

I think this may be the reason why so few give a flying flamingo about such celebrations.

I'm all Sussex meself. Tony Bloom Day anyone ?
I know where he's Bury(ed)

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
As a kid we used to do things like fetes and maypole dancing for St. George's day, but I think less because of England, more because it was the Patronal festival.

Not sure exactly what the festivities are like in West Grinstead nowadays, but my parents still live in PG and are on coffee duty for it this morning. Party time!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As a kid we used to do things like fetes and maypole dancing for St. George's day, but I think less because of England, more because it was the Patronal festival.

Not sure exactly what the festivities are like in West Grinstead nowadays, but my parents still live in PG and are on coffee duty for it this morning. Party time!

Getting children to dance round a giant phallus in some pagan Germanic ritual in order to celebrate the Patron saint of England ? Are you sure you've got this right :wink:

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Getting children to dance round a giant phallus in some pagan Germanic ritual in order to celebrate the Patron saint of England ? Are you sure you've got this right :wink:
Ah not quite, the patron saint of the Parish of St. Michael and St. George, you see.

But the phallus, yes.

I used to hate maypole dancing. Even as a child I was exceptionally small and struggled not to strangle other kids with the ribbon 😂

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have bad memories of St George's day when, at the football, there were repeated attempts to conflate the obscure Turk with the 'f*** the IRA' trope. This did not sit well with the people located near the protagonists. One of the outcomes was an attempt to intimidate me for my expression of disdain. After that I found attending matches so uncomfortable I gave up my season ticket for a few years. Nobody wants that.

I am more than happy to delight in my country, proudly celebrate when we do well, and fly the flag. I also have huge sympathy with those who lost family in service. The sort of respect that service and loss deserves is given unconditionally. It does not need to be bullied out of people at a football match.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
It’s odd that I feel like I’ve always celebrated St George’s a day and others say never.

I guess the difference is whether you were a Scout / Guide or not.

In my youth, we used to properly parade with in-step marching and everything, but over the years it became a walk / stroll / amble with flags.

I also don’t get why all these things have to end with a religious ceremony and that’s what turned me away from the St George’s Day Parades in the end.

They’ll still be going on all over the place this Sunday, though, but with a few less attendees locally, as I know quite a few scouts who are off to Wembley!
The clue is the "SAINT" George bit...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Nothing wrong with a bit of tradition when it’s harmless bollocks like paganism. Have a bit of a dance I say, why not.
Too bloody right :thumbsup: :wink::moo:

79838F7D-9311-4C68-AEE3-9622EFBE015E.jpeg
6220911E-E617-44A1-A0F8-7A831F37D23B.jpeg
20DF063E-41B9-44D2-B601-53091C1517DD.jpeg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I queued in the pouring rain for an hour outside our national stadium this evening

Can’t get more English than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here