Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad Depth

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Over the course of the season they’ve accumulated more points (although with 2 games more and done the double over us. Maybe with some wanky metrics we are ‘much better’ - but not in the important ones unfortunately
I’m talking todays game with eyes mate that’s all. Way, way better. We are. And yes statistically we may be just behind / just ahead / equal on equal games. But I’m absolutely sure on todays performance we’re a better football team / squad. 🤷🏻‍♂️👍

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Punching above our weight, look at the money on fees/wages Fulham (under the media radar), Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Forest and West Ham have spent.

Clearly we’re making incremental progress with each season.

TB’s strategy is working. Money for Caicedo and MacA will hopefully be spent wisely, it usually is.

EPL game-changers cost fortunes, unless you luck out with Toney or Mitrovic.

Sorry to come back to this but I don't think this is a good example. Would any of their starting 11 today get in ours? I don't think so.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry to come back to this but I don't think this is a good example. Would any of their starting 11 today get in ours? I don't think so.
The only possible is Pereira tbh. Possibly Mitro if he was playing - but yes, it showed today clearly - BHA by far the better team - we’ll finish above them and today will be a distant memory then I think 👍

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Anyone can manage to do it from time to time. We did it against Bmuff so think your comments a bit unfair - under RDZ we look far more likely - including today. They don’t manage to get over the line consistently either - they had a huuuuuge slice of luck today… no doubt.
We smashed muff to smithereens on the balance of play

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We smashed muff to smithereens on the balance of play
And Fulham just the same. Difference was one moment or two, a couple of ref decisions and a lot of bad luck. I’m so pissed off today but I also know we have to just take it and move on. There will always be unjust results against us. I honestly feel there’s very little analyses to have from todays game part form we were far better and struggle against 11 behind the ball like most teams - Man C included!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’re in agreement.

My point is that our lofty position and player quality, is thanks to the Anthony Bloom strategy. Those clubs I mentioned have hugely outspent us in total on fees and wages, yet we’re doing okay relative to them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
“You can’t win anything with kids”. Hansen’s much derided comment has traction in the context of 40-50 (with long cup runs) domestic season. Players and teams have ups and downs with form and you need squad depth to overcome those.

I would love us to qualify for Europe, but doing so did for Burnley a few seasons back, and for Hammers this season. The extra games are the the metaphorical straw; TB’s reluctance to pay big fees/wages will be a problem if we do qualify.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Gilmour, Welbeck and Colwill back and suddenly the bench looks a lot stronger. We’ll have to write off yesterday and move on.

The one I am gutted about is Lallana. I can only assume he’s had surgery or something as the injury seemed so innocuous and he walked off, and was in the training pics the following week.

It’s a real shame as he’s so influential in the way we play.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes true - but I feel it’s part of it when you’re known as a decent team and most teams choose to sit behind the ball. Rather that than being shite every week eh 👍
Yep it’s not squad depth it’s just needing that bit of quality/luck. You can always want better players - that will always be the case, but possession based teams will always suffer against the low block / unadventurous approach hence it’s been tough at home for us for a long time. City feel it as well with a £0.5billion squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
“You can’t win anything with kids”. Hansen’s much derided comment has traction in the context of 40-50 (with long cup runs) domestic season. Players and teams have ups and downs with form and you need squad depth to overcome those.

I would love us to qualify for Europe, but doing so did for Burnley a few seasons back, and for Hammers this season. The extra games are the the metaphorical straw; TB’s reluctance to pay big fees/wages will be a problem if we do qualify.
I imagine our budget will increase if we qualify - not ridiculously, but enough to make a difference.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are only a couple of player away from being able to compete for a top 4 finish. We have a wealth of unlocked potential in several positions and providing we can develop this talent into players capable of starting matches regularly then we will continue to improve.

Our ambition was to establish ourselves as a top 10 side and the next 10 years will be about achieving that consistently.

We used to thrive at identifying CB's but never saw them gain first team experience, but recently have signed midfielders that most clubs would love to have identified for comparable peanuts. I'm in no doubt that we will continue to sign such players and will also adding the required quality to the first team such as Estupinan when we need to.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone can manage to do it from time to time. We did it against Bmuff so think your comments a bit unfair - under RDZ we look far more likely - including today. They don’t manage to get over the line consistently either - they had a huuuuuge slice of luck today… no doubt.
They sit in 6th above us and always seem to find a way of winning these types of games where we don’t
Do they? Considering the post you quoted refers to them struggling against two teams we beat would indicate they don’t always find a way of winning.
They are 6th at a stage in the season, wait until the end of the season when I’m confident we will be above Fulham

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We are only a couple of player away from being able to compete for a top 4 finish. We have a wealth of unlocked potential in several positions and providing we can develop this talent into players capable of starting matches regularly then we will continue to improve.

Our ambition was to establish ourselves as a top 10 side and the next 10 years will be about achieving that consistently.

We used to thrive at identifying CB's but never saw them gain first team experience, but recently have signed midfielders that most clubs would love to have identified for comparable peanuts. I'm in no doubt that we will continue to sign such players and will also adding the required quality to the first team such as Estupinan when we need to.
We aren’t anywhere near top four level neither are Newcastle IMO.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
"A couple of players away from being able to compete for a top 4 finish"

We are not there yet
Trouble is we are never going to sign what’s required. In our position I was gobsmacked we didn’t add some quality to the squad in January. The club is happy just to stay in the league and make money from signings. It won't keep RDZ here for the long term though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sarmiento has 2 assists in his last 3 appearances yet wasn't brought off the bench today or vs Palace.
I thought that was baffling. Sarmiento always looks to make things happen while some of our players looked as if they were waiting for others to spark attacks yesterday.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We are only a couple of player away from being able to compete for a top 4 finish.
Nah. You really need a squad large enough to put out a second XI that could put an honest PL performance in if needed to allow for loss of form, injuries, suspensions, the odd in season international duty years. Brighton are miles off that.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Trouble is we are never going to sign what’s required. In our position I was gobsmacked we didn’t add some quality to the squad in January. The club is happy just to stay in the league and make money from signings. It won't keep RDZ here for the long term though.

This is the harsh truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here