Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad Depth

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Can’t help but feel Tony has left RDZ well short of what is needed to actually achieve Europe.

The bench today, while full of potential, was well short of experience. The inevitable few injuries have now arrived and we have no real cover left in central midfield considering we’ve lost Mwepu, Bissouma, and Alzate, we have two fit strikers with about ten games Prem experience after losing Leo, and let’s pray with everything we’ve got that Pervis is ok considering the options at LB.

End of the day it’s TBs prerogative to reinvest the money we’ve made or not but I just can’t see us making Europe with what we’ve got at the moment.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe, but today was on RDZ. The finishing he can’t do much about. But the Webster sub and Gross change of position was incredibly high risk and we paid for it.

How does our squad compare to newly promoted Fulham & Brentford who appear to be going along nicely

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I couldn't help but think that Leo (ie a proven experienced forward) would have been more likely to have gained us something than an untried teenager finding his way in this league.

But on the other hand, giving young players massive opportunities is the way we operate and realistically it won't work every time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All today proved on the grand scheme of things is we are a much, much better team than Fulham and squad. Let’s not over react - we were 10 times the better team and the only team trying to play football. Also had 4/5 injuries who would be in the match day squad - I think it’s a decent squad for a mid table prem team tbh.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
All today proved on the grand scheme of things is we are a much, much better team than Fulham and squad. Let’s not over react - we were 10 times the better team and the only team trying to play football. Also had 4/5 injuries who would be in the match day squad - I think it’s a decent squad for a mid table prem team tbh.
Mid table yes. For Europe no.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sarmiento has 2 assists in his last 3 appearances yet wasn't brought off the bench today or vs Palace.
His absence is the only aftertime, backseat manager question I'm asking.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Mid table yes. For Europe no.
That’s fine - work in progress. I’m not going to over analyse a football match where completely the wrong team won. It was a 2/3 nil game 100%. Have to just accept it.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
That’s fine - work in progress. I’m not going to over analyse a football match where completely the wrong team won. It was a 2/3 nil game 100%. Have to just accept it.
It’s not an observation of todays game but how weak the squad is beyond the starting 11 and that we’ve failed to bolster our options. I’m actually slightly bemused we didn’t get Alzate back in the transfer window as he’s definitely a better option than Gilmour from what I’ve seen

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
His absence is the only aftertime, backseat manager question I'm asking.
Weird one given he appeared to be the key that unlocked Bournemouth.

I guess I put the mockers on it though as I bought my mum today and when the subs were warming up at HT I said to look out for Sarmiento when he comes on as he can change a game. Shame for the lad I had to say that…

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
And yet they can manage to get over the line in theses games and we don’t

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I suppose it's just the frequency of those which does concern me.
Doesn’t really happen that often, to be fair. Last week was a disappointing draw and this week an even more disappointing defeat given the dominance in both games, but other than that we tend to get the results our performances deserve.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Over the course of the season they’ve accumulated more points (although with 2 games more and done the double over us. Maybe with some wanky metrics we are ‘much better’ - but not in the important ones unfortunately

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Punching above our weight, look at the money on fees/wages Fulham (under the media radar), Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Forest and West Ham have spent.

Clearly we’re making incremental progress with each season.

TB’s strategy is working. Money for Caicedo and MacA will hopefully be spent wisely, it usually is.

EPL game-changers cost fortunes, unless you luck out with Toney or Mitrovic.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I suppose it's just the frequency of those which does concern me.
Yes true - but I feel it’s part of it when you’re known as a decent team and most teams choose to sit behind the ball. Rather that than being shite every week eh 👍

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Punching above our weight, look at the money on fees/wages Fulham (under the media radar), Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Forest and West Ham have spent.

Clearly we’re making incremental progress with each season.

TB’s strategy is working. Money for Caicedo and MacA will hopefully be spent wisely, it usually is.

EPL game-changers cost fortunes, unless you luck out with Toney or Mitrovic.

Mitrovic wasn't playing today fwiw.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s not an observation of todays game but how weak the squad is beyond the starting 11 and that we’ve failed to bolster our options. I’m actually slightly bemused we didn’t get Alzate back in the transfer window as he’s definitely a better option than Gilmour from what I’ve seen
Agree with Alzate comment - think the squad can always be stronger mate but also got to appreciate who we are and our injuries etc…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And yet they can manage to get over the line in theses games and we don’t
Anyone can manage to do it from time to time. We did it against Bmuff so think your comments a bit unfair - under RDZ we look far more likely - including today. They don’t manage to get over the line consistently either - they had a huuuuuge slice of luck today… no doubt.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here