Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Spurs Stewards

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Seeing this quoted has just reminded me of when I did my Coaching Level 1 badge and we had a talk on safeguarding and a discussion on appropriate behaviour between player and coach.

The instructor asked us if it was ever acceptable for our young players to swear or for coaches to resort to that language.

Anyone who coached younger players (including me, at the time I was running an under 9s) said it wasn't. But a bloke who was coaching under 15s said his players swore on the pitch all the time, and to each other, and that sometimes mild swear words in team talks were the only way to get through to them.

The FA instructor said this was completely correct. That language among and between those from around 14 to 18 in youth football is totally different to bright eyed 8 year olds. But the bright eyed 8 year olds will end up with a cohort who call the ref or opposition c***s just six years later.

Males swear. I swear at football but only when highly provoked or for comic effect. The 14-25 age group, with alcohol or anger or feeling aggressive in a group will swear profusely and unintelligently, and it will always be so, and always has been.

I think to use it generally in sentences just shows a complete lack of intelligence and in the case of our supporters in block 115 judgement, given the age and gender of the supporter around them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think to use it generally in sentences just shows a complete lack of intelligence and in the case of our supporters in block 115 judgement, given the age and gender of the supporter around them.

I was in 115 and it was pretty industrial at times.

I'm just saying there were a lot of youngsters in there who'd had a few and their levels of control are not the same as yours and mine.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seeing this quoted has just reminded me of when I did my Coaching Level 1 badge and we had a talk on safeguarding and a discussion on appropriate behaviour between player and coach.

The instructor asked us if it was ever acceptable for our young players to swear or for coaches to resort to that language.

Anyone who coached younger players (including me, at the time I was running an under 9s) said it wasn't. But a bloke who was coaching under 15s said his players swore on the pitch all the time, and to each other, and that sometimes mild swear words in team talks were the only way to get through to them.

The FA instructor said this was completely correct. That language among and between those from around 14 to 18 in youth football is totally different to bright eyed 8 year olds. But the bright eyed 8 year olds will end up with a cohort who call the ref or opposition c***s just six years later.

Males swear. I swear at football but only when highly provoked or for comic effect. The 14-25 age group, with alcohol or anger or feeling aggressive in a group will swear profusely and unintelligently, and it will always be so, and always has been.

I witnessed Stuart Tuck giving junior and his team-mates a half time pep talk during an academy game, must have been U15. He actually used words that weren’t ***k or ***king occasionally at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here