Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Spurs - Sat 5th Feb 8pm

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Am not sure whether I have had a bit of luck, or turned traitor.

My brother in law and nephew who live in Essex are Spurs fans. They went to buy their two tickets but were told buy two get one free. This is for the posh lounge.
They took the third ticket and asked me over the weekend whether I wanted to go with them free of charge.

Like all of us, would rather be with Seagulls fans but this opportunity was to good to miss. Wife and I will go to Essex for the weekend now. So will be in Spurs end being a good boy by wearing no Albion clothes and no shouting in encouragement of our lads. That will be the hardest bit.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Very disappointing to see others have missed out here. Clear demand above the 5,700 tickets allocation and missing out on a rare change for a huge away following. I can understand why only 5,700 were taken but no excuse for the communication. I assume the club tried to ‘reserve’ the third tier area as spurs sold seats elsewhere, but then they went on sale before the Albion could ask for the full allocation?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I believe we would have sold 9,000. We sold 5,700 in just over 3 days from the 23,000 STH's. I'm sure members and those with purchase history plus STH guests is a massive pool far greater than the STH number. So why did they think it would not sell out 9,000. I tracked the last remaining seats and we were selling approximately 100 per hour this morning and it is worth noting that no separate email had gone to members today saying they were available to members. Not everyone is sad like me and some of you lot out there so don't track these things. We still also had the STH guest bracket to come. I suspect quite a few STH's may have held off thinking they'd buy at the same time as guests as well. In short this is bonkers!

Even if you think that we might have fallen short by say 1,000, that's £25k. That's 3 days of Locadia's wages maybe? Surely Potter and the players would rather have as many there as possible. VERY VERY shortsighted.

If you add in the ticket exchange fiasco and the Palace North East corner squash the club off the pitch are not doing as well as the club on the pitch are they this season.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
I'd initially declared myself out of this one due to trains but having read other suggestions, was planning to make a weekend of it and stay over with x 4 of us planning to attend; but I needed to wait for Wednesday as one of us only had a purchase history... I clearly underestimated the uptake for this one and could have secured x 3 much earlier but didn't anticipate that the Club would take the lower option (should have known better) - Lesson learnt for next time and saved myself a few hundred quid on the weekend no doubt, but it would have been an epic one! Well done to those who were not so hesitant as me....

There must surely be a better way to handle this and clearly the Club needs to have more faith in the fans than they currently do! Have they ever lost money by taking a higher allocation and then not selling it? I can only assume that they have lost out previously..

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
What irks me, is that simply, an apology would be nice, in a lot of the emails I've seen from Barber its the usual 'I was right' stuff. I don't think anyone can initially blame them for only buying 5,700, but it should have been communicated way better, especially last night.

sweetmods

Jan 31, 2004
Shoreham Beach
What irks me, is that simply, an apology would be nice, in a lot of the emails I've seen from Barber its the usual 'I was right' stuff. I don't think anyone can initially blame them for only buying 5,700, but it should have been communicated way better, especially last night.

Completely agree. The strength of feeling and disappointed expressed within the last few pages is a very clear indication that the club completely messed this up. There is nothing to be gained in the club putting some kind of spin on things and an apology along with some evidence of 'lessons learned' will go some small way to address this (although it doesn't really cheer up my two kids who have just found out that we aren't going to Spurs despite me telling them this morning that I'd be getting the tickets today).

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I believe we would have sold 9,000. We sold 5,700 in just over 3 days from the 23,000 STH's. I'm sure members and those with purchase history plus STH guests is a massive pool far greater than the STH number. So why did they think it would not sell out 9,000. I tracked the last remaining seats and we were selling approximately 100 per hour this morning and it is worth noting that no separate email had gone to members today saying they were available to members. Not everyone is sad like me and some of you lot out there so don't track these things. We still also had the STH guest bracket to come. I suspect quite a few STH's may have held off thinking they'd buy at the same time as guests as well. In short this is bonkers!

Even if you think that we might have fallen short by say 1,000, that's £25k. That's 3 days of Locadia's wages maybe? Surely Potter and the players would rather have as many there as possible. VERY VERY shortsighted.

If you add in the ticket exchange fiasco and the Palace North East corner squash the club off the pitch are not doing as well as the club on the pitch are they this season.

Don't clubs split FA cup revenue? I thought we get 45% of gate receipts after costs deducted.

So to use your example, we'd only be losing 55% of £25k.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Completely agree. The strength of feeling and disappointed expressed within the last few pages is a very clear indication that the club completely messed this up. There is nothing to be gained in the club putting some kind of spin on things and an apology along with some evidence of 'lessons learned' will go some small way to address this (although it doesn't really cheer up my two kids who have just found out that we aren't going to Spurs despite me telling them this morning that I'd be getting the tickets today).

I just don't understand why they even mentioned 9,000, when from what they are saying today, they never even thought about taking all 9k.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Would somebody who really knows about these things be able to tell me if we usually sell out our allocation of away games, and specifically those for the London clubs, and spurs in particular? and if we do, is it a case of gone within hours of them going on sale, or a case of just about selling out as the match starts?

I really have no idea on these things, but from what I recall there hasn't been many threads on people not being able to get away tickets for the past few seasons which indicates that we have a fairly stable number of fans going to away matches and supply roughly equals demand

IF that is the case then given the TV coverage , KO Time and final train time back to Brighton, possible tube strikes, and rail replacement hassle then taking double the usual number of away tickets seems reasonable to me. Away to a "big six" club is now something that has occurred every year for the past five season, and as such the novelty factor of going to see a big club has long since worn off. We now no longer need a cup run and good draw to be going to see the top players and stadia

Obviously the club have underestimated the number of fans wanting to go to see this game, but they have had to make a decision based on the info they had and the predictions of how many would go based on whatever modelling they use.

People on Twitter and here are personally blaming Barber like he has deliberately gone out to deny people tickets, when in reality there will have been teams of people making this decision and it would have been taken in good faith

For whatever reason the supporter communication was not very good, with the initial up to 9000 available and the steady opening of further blocks as seats sole, giving the impression that we had loads of seats. Perhaps its a case of the Albion accepting an initial allocation thinking they could increase if required, and then finding they couldn't. If so they will be pissed off as well, but not a lot they can do now.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Is there a virtual Fans Forum coming up soon? Barber will really need to get his ducks in a row to answer this sh1tfest!
Lets not forgot the club got it very wrong on the allocation for Norwich away and the Season Ticket sharing supplement this season.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Would somebody who really knows about these things be able to tell me if we usually sell out our allocation of away games, and specifically those for the London clubs, and spurs in particular? and if we do, is it a case of gone within hours of them going on sale, or a case of just about selling out as the match starts?

We sell out every London match in less than two days of sale.

I really have no idea on these things, but from what I recall there hasn't been many threads on people not being able to get away tickets for the past few seasons which indicates that we have a fairly stable number of fans going to away matches and supply roughly equals demand

There's a loyalty scheme. People know the score with league matches. No point moaning.

IF that is the case then given the TV coverage , KO Time and final train time back to Brighton, possible tube strikes, and rail replacement hassle then taking double the usual number of away tickets seems reasonable to me. Away to a "big six" club is now something that has occurred every year for the past five season, and as such the novelty factor of going to see a big club has long since worn off. We now no longer need a cup run and good draw to be going to see the top players and stadia

Only a few thousand have visited Tottenham Stadium.

Tickets are (were) £25 adult, £10 kids. Or just £50 for 2 x adults and 2 x kids. Cheap = appealing.

We took 5000 to Manchester for a Saturday night FA Cup match just a few seasons ago.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Obviously the club have underestimated the number of fans wanting to go to see this game, but they have had to make a decision based on the info they had and the predictions of how many would go based on whatever modelling they use.

People on Twitter and here are personally blaming Barber like he has deliberately gone out to deny people tickets, when in reality there will have been teams of people making this decision and it would have been taken in good faith

For whatever reason the supporter communication was not very good, with the initial up to 9000 available and the steady opening of further blocks as seats sole, giving the impression that we had loads of seats. Perhaps its a case of the Albion accepting an initial allocation thinking they could increase if required, and then finding they couldn't. If so they will be pissed off as well, but not a lot they can do now.

All I would say is that I think there are lots who want to go to away games, but demand often outstrips supply and the regulars often have the points to snap up the tickets (not saying this part is wrong). If it became apparent that more casual fans could attend a game like this then I can see why there would be more interest than the club would expect.

It's the rules that are wrong. The home club should always have to give the away club first dibs on their max allocation

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
All I would say is that I think there are lots who want to go to away games, but demand often outstrips supply and the regulars often have the points to snap up the tickets (not saying this part is wrong). If it became apparent that more casual fans could attend a game like this then I can see why there would be more interest than the club would expect.

It's the rules that are wrong. The home club should always have to give the away club first dibs on their max allocation

I agree. How are clubs supposed to be able to gauge demand? Having to choose between 5700 and 9000 is ridiculous. Rules aside, was there any physical reason we couldn't have sold the upper tier block by block and returned any unsold blocks?

I was surprised we sold 5700 so quickly given the train situation. I can't blame the club for erring on the side of caution. Communication of this decision was terrible however. I suspect they thought we might struggle to sell 5700 let alone 9000 and it didn't cross their minds to make it clear we had taken a reduced allocation.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I think the issue for me is the poor communication, and the last bit of what you say could well be true. In terms of the support, we've sold out all London away games this season. This is also a new ground for a lot of people who don't regularly go away, as both times we've been here, its either sold out way before all STH can get tickets or was on boxing day (which is problematic for some). I think a lot of the regular crowd are very irritated as it was not communicated at all by the club that this would be it, with some even asking the club whether they can wait and being told it will be fine. I don't like the way barber is sometimes, with the whole our decision is best. A little bit of talking around the regular going away support, would have told you that many were waiting to get tickets and many were interested in getting guest tickets (like myself) at a later date, so the issue of selling the 9k wouldn't have been there. While I'm not having a personal go at Barber, I think his gung ho its not our fault agenda coming straight out is frustrating as it has been used so many times recently relating to kick off time (Spurs, Brentford). I think most would have taken it in good faith if they apologised, because anyone can see the communication was poor even though they put the word 'may' in the original website article. They now will probably have to end up issuing a statement about away fans in the home end at Spurs, since it will likely go to general sale. Some better communication between fans would have sorted out this mess early doors, and people would have been able to make a better decision. In this season there has clearly been issues with the ticketing (passing on season tickets), and kick off times, and I certainly felt it hasn't felt like some of it has been addressed very well by Paul Barber. While I do appreciate some of the things he has said and by no means want him out, I do think he needs to be careful at the moment because he's driving a wedge between the fans and hierarchy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here