Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Spurs hammered 2-7 at home, will there be a backlash on Saturday

Will we be on the end of a Spurs backlash?

• Total voters

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Is this one of those polls where whatever you vote for happens in real life, or is it more like the Brexit referendum?

Nah, the Brexit Referendum was the equivalent of asking: would you like a football match, Yes or No?

So, with a result of yes we'd like a football match it leaves hundreds of tricky details to be ironed out, e.g:

- which teams are going to play?
- what date and time will it be at?
- which ground are we going to play it at?
- who will referee?
- how much will the entrance fee be and what is the split between the clubs?
- who will do the catering and what products?
- can spectators bring their own flasks and bottles with tops on?
- will it be on the telly and how much will the clubs get paid?
- will the Police be inside the ground or do we steward it itself?
- what about car parking and transport? etc. etc.

It's probably a bit more difficult extracting a country and its economy from the worlds largest economic trading block...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My first reaction was 'oh god no, we'll be on the end of the backlash.' However, it feels like the crisis is deepening, so I think we'll get something from this.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Sporting the shiner
eb1729c982e6020b8386403e09fd6c42.jpg

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think the Spuds players will have a point to prove to themselves, never mind the manager..

They're full of quality, and even with a grey cloud over them they'll be dangerous.

Completely agree that if we can come flying out of the traps and get an early goal then apply relentless pressure, we could buckle them. However, I don't think that's the way we know how to play...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My first reaction was 'oh god no, we'll be on the end of the backlash.' However, it feels like the crisis is deepening, so I think we'll get something from this.

After the disappointing draw against Olympiakos they lost at Leicester. After the defeat to Colchester, they were unconvincing (all be it down to 10) at home to Southampton. They also managed to lose to Newcastle which seems an achievement in itself. Who knows.

If you're in good form and you have a shock defeat, yeah, you can bounce back, the belief is still there, and you can go out with a point to prove. Agree with you, not sure they've played well all season yet. Keeping players that want to leave perhaps coming back to bite them.

Doesn't mean they won't be a formidable opponent Saturday morning, even last night they were the better side first half. We simply have to take our chances, if we're profligate like recent games, then it will still end in defeat I feel.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
After the disappointing draw against Olympiakos they lost at Leicester. After the defeat to Colchester, they were unconvincing (all be it down to 10) at home to Southampton. They also managed to lose to Newcastle which seems an achievement in itself. Who knows.

If you're in good form and you have a shock defeat, yeah, you can bounce back, the belief is still there, and you can go out with a point to prove. Agree with you, not sure they've played well all season yet. Keeping players that want to leave perhaps coming back to bite them.

Doesn't mean they won't be a formidable opponent Saturday morning, even last night they were the better side first half. We simply have to take our chances, if we're profligate like recent games, then it will still end in defeat I feel.

Yep, this needs to be the game that we put the ball in the net from the first opportunity. Miss a few and we’ll likely be on the end of a stuffing. Spurs may be lacking confidence but ours must be quite fragile too given our complete uselessness in front of goal, given the number of chances we’ve had overall.

Early goal essential imo

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Apologies if fixtures but there's rumours Jan Vertonghen has been playing hide the sausage with a team mate's wife. She must also like his name and the amazing things he's been able to do with it.

That may explain their defensive crisis and lack of team spirit at the moment.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I keep seeing this headline in my mind
"Brighton win completes a disastrous week for lacklustre Spurs" :clap::clap:

But then reality takes over and I get

"Spurs back on track after convincing win at Brighton" :nono::nono:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ironically I would argue they're in the sort of place where a Chris Hughton managed Brighton might have picked something up at home (as per Arsenal 2017-18).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ironically I would argue they're in the sort of place where a Chris Hughton managed Brighton might have picked something up at home (as per Arsenal 2017-18).

That's what we're all hoping!!!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Watching those Bayern goals today if Potter starts Murray on Saturday then he needs sacking. Their centre backs are good players but as slow as treacle, play our fastest available front 3 from the start and give them a real problem.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We should absolutely go after them. They crumbled like children, they were picked off at will and if we switch to 4-3-3 to get more players high up the pitch, we could overwhelm them.

Ryan
Montoya Webster Dunk Burn
Bissouma Stephens Pröpper
Jahanbakhsh Maupay Alzate​

I think this is a team which would rip them to shreds. We need to get shots off from around the area and get Bissouma and Pröpper on the move!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Watching those Bayern goals today if Potter starts Murray on Saturday then he needs sacking. Their centre backs are good players but as slow as treacle, play our fastest available front 3 from the start and give them a real problem.

Agree mate something like ......

-------------------Ryan
---------Webster Dunk Burn
Montoya Stephens Propper Alzate
-------------March Connolly
----------------Maupay

Button Baluta Bong Bissouma Gross Mooy Murray

But I'm sure there'll be a separate thread for this

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We should absolutely go after them. They crumbled like children, they were picked off at will and if we switch to 4-3-3 to get more players high up the pitch, we could overwhelm them.

Ryan
Montoya Webster Dunk Burn
Bissouma Stephens Pröpper
Jahanbakhsh Maupay Alzate​

I think this is a team which would rip them to shreds. We need to get shots off from around the area and get Bissouma and Pröpper on the move!

You want to play Spurs with 10 men? That's brave.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
What happened to the little red 'thumbs down' button?
There's a few on this thread that would have got one, that's for sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thankfully the Albion won't be on the receiving end of such scurrilous gossip...

...None of our players can score.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

The bigger issue wasn't their speed per se, but the fact that they played a defensive line basically on the half way line. As a defender that's really hard to defend against if the ball in behind is good as your body shape is almost always wrong i.e. not on the half turn, meaning you're made to look a lot slower than you actually are as the offensive player is almost always running the right way.

So the key for us isn't picking or not picking Murray (you can afford one slower forward i.e. him or Gross), it's playing quick players either side of him if you play him who will make those runs in behind the defensive line if it is high.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here