[Sponsored sticky] Albion Book - Special Offer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
ATT MODS: Any chance this can be made a 'sticky' between now and the Middlesbrough game? Cheers.....

Greetings one and all,

Spencer Vignes here....if the name rings a bell it might be because I’m an Albion supporting journalist who has written for many national newspapers down the years as well as contributing to our match day programme ‘Seagull’.

I’ll cut to the chase. Some of you may remember, or even have read, my 2007 book ‘A Few Good Men’ in which I selected my all-time Albion XI, dedicating a chapter to each player. The book was an absolute blast to write and, judging from the feedback I received, just as much fun to read. All 11 players willingly gave up their time to be interviewed as did many other Albion old boys who were keen to share their memories and opinions. If names such as Gary Stevens, Steve Foster, Mark Lawrenson, Peter O’Sullivan and Bobby Zamora mean anything to you, then you’ll probably enjoy this book.

‘A Few Good Men’ is still available in the shops priced £14.99. However, I’ve managed to liberate a number of copies from the publisher’s warehouse and am offering them for sale at just £5 per book until stocks run out. There are two ways you can get hold of a copy. One, send a cheque for £6.90 (payable to ‘Spencer Vignes’) to 12 Granville Avenue, Cardiff CF5 1BW, not forgetting to include your address. I’ll then mail it to you. Alternatively you can avoid paying postage and packing by collecting a copy straight from my hands at the Middlesbrough home game on Saturday 20 October. I’ll be available outside the press entrance to the AMEX (which is to the right of Dick’s Bar as you face the stadium) from 1.30pm until 2.45pm, then again after the game between 5.15pm and 5.45pm.

Failing all else then by all means call me on 07956 951144 or e-mail spencervignes@hotmail.com and we’ll come up with some kind of alternative arrangement.

Thanks for your time folks and up the Albion!

Spencer

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have a copy of this book, can thoroughly recommend it! Should be on the shelf of every Albion-supporting fan.

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
Spencer your bit about Digweed's bleeding cock in the programme on Tuesday is giving me nightmares. As a seven year old at the time I was told it was a groin injury. Can you confirm that Kevin Bremner went in goal for that game?

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
Oh how I remember that traumatising might....... (as my username shows)
And later he still made the centrefold of the Sun about his sexual antics!

D

Deleted User X18H

Spencer your bit about Digweed's bleeding cock in the programme on Tuesday is giving me nightmares. As a seven year old at the time I was told it was a groin injury. Can you confirm that Kevin Bremner went in goal for that game?[/QUOTE]

Yes he was. And smallest Albion player on the pitch.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
"A Few Good Men" is a terrific read. Well worth a fiver of anyone's money.

I'm still intrigued to know which ex-player refused to contribute when told they were not in the dream team though...

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hi there all, and thanks for your positive comments about my book. It's much appreciated.

Matt, the player who got extremely 'shirty' about not being included in my dream Albion XI was Dean Saunders. Basically I wanted him to say a few words about Steve Penney - I knew the two of them had been close and valued Dean's opinions, plus I wanted to give him (Dean) a 'nod' for his contribution to the Albion cause as well. Dean's reaction absolutely staggered me....a full on rant at me down the phone with lines such 'I bet you've included Bobby 'Bloody' Zamora' and 'How would you like it if I wrote a book about the eleven best journalists in Brighton and you weren't included?' He didn't say he wouldn't co-operate with me, but basically once he'd finished the rant I made an on the spot decision that if he felt that way then it was probably best to leave it there. Everyone else had co-operated so willingly and Dean's reaction just totally caught me off guard. Maybe I caught him on a bad day, but then again we haven't spoken since.

As regards Perry's 'groin' injury (as featured in the Ipswich programme), if some of you felt bad reading about it imagine how I felt writing all the gory details - and I really can't stand the sight of blood! Was it Kevin Bremner who replaced him in goal? Off the top of my head I can't remember. It may have been Steve Gatting, the player who sold him the short backpass, who I also seem to remember replacing Perry in goal during a League Cup tie at Nottingham Forest in 1986. Answers on a postcard, as they say.

Right, better do some work......keep the comments coming and let's hope Derby have one of their off-days today.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Re: Albion Book - Special Offer

Spencer your bit about Digweed's bleeding cock in the programme on Tuesday is giving me nightmares. As a seven year old at the time I was told it was a groin injury. Can you confirm that Kevin Bremner went in goal for that game?[/QUOTE]

Yes he was. And smallest Albion player on the pitch.

I remember that well and didn't he put up a 'plucky' display. Did we lose 1-0?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I was given a copy of A Few Good Men for Christmas last I think - it covered most of my heroes, threw in some behind the scenes gossip, and was a jolly good read. I'm a bit gutted to hear that Dean Saunders was the ego-culprit though.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Thank you very much Mr Banana, that praise means a lot to me. Sorry brightonfan1983 about the Dean Saunders news. The only other former player who argued with me about my selection was goalkeeper Eric Steele, me having gone for his old rival Graham Moseley over him in my Albion XI. However, we had a proper debate about it, putting our points of view, and Eric accepted that having left the club in 1980 he missed what in my opinion were Graham's best years between the Albion sticks (and I'm thinking in particular of the 1984-85 season when he was simply outstanding, quite rightly winning Player of the Year). I think what really got Eric was that he used to work hard at his goalkeeping and was an intense trainer, whereas Graham - even by his own admission - was a bit of a lazy sod!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
steele-book1.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The only Albion book of the past few years I didn't have to read through my fingers/put down cos I kept wanting to sub it. Congratulations sir and yes please to a cheap copy.

That's a bit tough, surely? More than Ninety Minutes didn't have a single typo surely, and BaB and WWF were all about people talking in a stream of consciousness way.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
From the point of view of being a journalist, I do really rate Build A Bonfire. It's just a perfect snapshot of what happened to the Albion during those extremely trying years, and I've pointed several other journalists in its direction over the years as a reference point.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the point of view of being a journalist, I do really rate Build A Bonfire. It's just a perfect snapshot of what happened to the Albion during those extremely trying years, and I've pointed several other journalists in its direction over the years as a reference point.

Got any follow-up Albion books planned? Seems to me there's plenty of room in the marketplace for an alternative take on 'The Struggles'

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Greetings Tom Hark, I think the only book I'd like to do at present is a collection of some of the stories that I've been given down the years by people connected with the Albion - not just players but also managers, former ball boys, policemen who in their line of duty have nicked Albion players (really!), that kind of thing. There are so many people out there who are far better qualified than me to write about the 'struggles' - I haven't lived in Sussex now for years and in my line of work get to see the likes of Sunderland and Middlesbrough far more than the Albion - so would feel like a bit of a fraud penning a book like that.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
A collection of stories from behind the scenes would be a great read, can i pre-order an unwritten book? Really enjoyed A Few Good Men, got it as a present and it was cup of tea, feet up and enjoy kinda book that really made me giggle in places.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
No pressure, eh? Thanks very much Sergei....guess I'd better scrap my plans for the next couple of months and get scribbling then!

Seriously, thanks for your kind words about A Few Good Men. I have to admit that it was fun to write. I mean selecting an Albion XI made up of many of my childhood heroes, then spending several days chewing the fat with them - talk about fun. The only pressure was wanting to do each player justice on paper, which I think I just about managed. Graham Moseley and Steve Penney in particular were great company. Spending time with them in Chepstow and Ballymena respectively was an absolute blast.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Greetings Tom Hark, I think the only book I'd like to do at present is a collection of some of the stories that I've been given down the years by people connected with the Albion - not just players but also managers, former ball boys, policemen who in their line of duty have nicked Albion players (really!), that kind of thing.

As a relative youngster I'd LOVE to read that book!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Greetings Tom Hark, I think the only book I'd like to do at present is a collection of some of the stories that I've been given down the years by people connected with the Albion - not just players but also managers, former ball boys, policemen who in their line of duty have nicked Albion players (really!), that kind of thing.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports