Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sponsored sticky] Albion Book - Special Offer

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
You know I've got a pretty good memory for games that happened even 20, 25 years ago but the exact details of anything that night other than Perry's poor groin getting ripped to shreds just escapes me. Off the top of my head it goes down as the worst injury I've witnessed happen to any Albion player, though I didn't appreciate the full extent of it for a few days. I, and a dare say a few of you, will also remember the night up at Palace when poor Gerry Ryan's career was ended by a ludicrous challenge by Henry Hughton. That has to be number two in the 'worst injury' stakes followed closely by Nicky Bissett having his leg smashed to bits by Swindon's Duncan Shearer. All three of them night games as well.

D

Deleted User X18H

You know I've got a pretty good memory for games that happened even 20, 25 years ago but the exact details of anything that night other than Perry's poor groin getting ripped to shreds just escapes me. Off the top of my head it goes down as the worst injury I've witnessed happen to any Albion player, though I didn't appreciate the full extent of it for a few days. I, and a dare say a few of you, will also remember the night up at Palace when poor Gerry Ryan's career was ended by a ludicrous challenge by Henry Hughton. That has to be number two in the 'worst injury' stakes followed closely by Nicky Bissett having his leg smashed to bits by Swindon's Duncan Shearer. All three of them night games as well.

He didn't go off straight away. But he did rush off with the ball still in play. I remmber him running towards the tunnel from the South End.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Yeah, I remember it that way as well. He actually restarted play, as I said in the article, with what must have been a goal-kick or free-kick for the challenge on him by Don Goodman. At least I'm 90 per cent sure it was Goodman. Anyone else remember the WBA player involved?

I actually left out one or two of Perry's quotes from the article because they were simply too horrific to use. In a nutshell it was basically blood from the waist down, the internal bleeding taking a minute or two to find its way out through his, well, you know what explaining why he had time to restart play. Euuuuuchhhh!!!!!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Albion Book - Special Offer

Could a mod please merge this thread with the one on Seagulls Chat?

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Just a quick 'thank you' to those of you who have already been in touch with me saying they want to collect a copy of A Few Good Men on the day of the Boro match. For those who were planning on doing this but who HAVEN'T contacted me, then it might not be a bad idea to ping me a quick e-mail just so I can gauge how many copies I need to bring along. Contact details are at the top of this thread in my original message. Cheers....Spencer

Just a quick 'thank you' to those of you who have already been in touch with me saying they want to collect a copy of A Few Good Men on the day of the Boro match. For those who were planning on doing this but who HAVEN'T contacted me, then it might not be a bad idea to ping me a quick e-mail just so I can gauge how many copies I need to bring along. Contact details are at the top of this thread in my original message. Cheers....Spencer

Already got one and bloody good it is too. Thanks for clearing up the ex-player who didn't contribute, I read it twice trying to work it out and couldn't.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
It's funny how a throwaway line at the beginning of a book (and that's what it is really) ended up causing such a stir. If I had a pound for every time I've been asked about 'the player who wouldn't contribute' I'd be a wealthy freelance journalist instead of, well, a very average one. You write 60,000 words across 192 pages but the thing most people remember is one tiny cog in the introduction! Glad you liked it though Hillain1 and thanks for your kind words.

It's funny how a throwaway line at the beginning of a book (and that's what it is really) ended up causing such a stir. If I had a pound for every time I've been asked about 'the player who wouldn't contribute' I'd be a wealthy freelance journalist instead of, well, a very average one. You write 60,000 words across 192 pages but the thing most people remember is one tiny cog in the introduction! Glad you liked it though Hillain1 and thanks for your kind words.

Hi Spencer, It's been a while since I've read it but I'm convinced that the Intro mentioned that one player didn't contribute and it would be revealed later in the book.

I may be wrong of course.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hi there Hillian1, this is what I wrote (and it's on page 8).

'My thanks go to the 11 who all willingly gave up their time to be interviewed. One former Albion player, on learning that he had not made the XI, did refuse to have anything to do with the project and is not quoted in the pages that follow. However, countless others were only too happy to co-operate by sharing their memories, for which I am extremely grateful'.

It's funny....reading that back now I suppose of course people are bound to think 'Oh, I wonder who that was?' but that really wasn't my intention. If anything I wanted to stress how fantastic and co-operative all the ex-players (and Zamora) had been about it. Take Danny Wilson for instance who wasn't one of the XI but who actually took the time and effort to call me back on a couple of occasions with extra bits of information.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hi all, just a quick response to those of you who have contacted me directly to ask if A Few Good Men is available on kindle. Yes it is, but you have to go to the publishers directly (Derby Books) to get hold of it. So if it's a book you're after, come to me. If it's a kindle, go to them. Thanks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The Hughton one was horrible, but nothing like as GRAPHIC as the Digweed one. I was a ball-boy that night, at the South end, so I had a much better view of it all than was good for me. #shudder.

I don't think its the 'worst injury' any more though. Although none of us watching at the time, could know, the moment at Withdean, when Jim McNulty ruptured (and subsequently lost) a kidney, must now take that 'honour'. That one was actually life-threatening.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Good point Hans Kraay Fan Club....I'd forgotten about poor Jim McNulty, probably because I wasn't there to witness it. Perhaps we've hit on a theme for another book here - 'worst Albion XI injuries of all time'!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Albion Book - Special Offer

Or off the field ones - was Moseley's a car crash or hedge clippers? Or was that Gordon Banks? I haven't the book to hand so can't check

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Moseley's career was ended by a car crash while he was with Cardiff City but he also had spells out through injury while at Brighton due to separate accidents with a hedge trimmer AND a window while on a mid-season team tour to Jersey (Teddy Maybank had lost a sizeable amount of cash in a card game and Graham, already a bit tipsy, laughed so much he rolled off a bed and put his hand through the glass). That in mind, Graham should be number one in my 'Albion injury XI'....however, he was also the goalkeeper I selected for my dream team. Can't really have him twice, so I think Perry Digweed would have to be in there for the 'groin' injury.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Howdy all,

Just a quick thank you to everyone who has been in touch with me over the last few days wanting discounted copies of A Few Good Men.

To those of you who sent cheques by snail mail, I'm getting the books in the post to you within 24 hours of receiving your letters. In other words you should have them over the next few days, if you haven't already.

Quite a few people have asked whether there's a danger that stocks will run out before the Boro match. The answer is 'No' - I've set aside a hefty number of copies to bring to the Amex on the day of the game, so unless everyone attending turns up wanting one (which is unlikely) there will be enough to go round. In the event of a mad rush, then I'll do some negotiating with the publishers to see if I can get hold of more copies, albeit at a later date. Those who have already been in touch with me wanting to pick up a copy either before or after the match, your copies are reserved......in other words don't panic!

Thanks again,
Spencer

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Howdy all,

Just a quick thank you to everyone who has been in touch with me over the last few days wanting discounted copies of A Few Good Men.

To those of you who sent cheques by snail mail, I'm getting the books in the post to you within 24 hours of receiving your letters. In other words you should have them over the next few days, if you haven't already.

Quite a few people have asked whether there's a danger that stocks will run out before the Boro match. The answer is 'No' - I've set aside a hefty number of copies to bring to the Amex on the day of the game, so unless everyone attending turns up wanting one (which is unlikely) there will be enough to go round. In the event of a mad rush, then I'll do some negotiating with the publishers to see if I can get hold of more copies, albeit at a later date. Those who have already been in touch with me wanting to pick up a copy either before or after the match, your copies are reserved......in other words don't panic!

Thanks again,
Spencer

Thanks for the latest free advert...sorry, I mean update. Do let us know what you're spending all the cash on. :thumbsup:

It is a good book though.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Ha ha Oscar! Seriously, my inbox was chocca and this is the best way of getting a message out to as many people as possible in one go. My entire life is a never ending drain of car bills and kids.....much like many other forty-something dads. Would be nice to have something left over for me for a change. Actually I lie - just bought a couple of tickets to go and see Roger Hodgson, ex-lead singer of Supertramp, so there's your answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here