Spineless Sainsburys and all that is wrong in today's society!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hardly 'all that is wrong in today's society" though is it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hardly 'all that is wrong in today's society" though is it?

It's a bit of a shame though isn't it, as it gives an indication that "customer is always right" is more important than basic human courtesy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's a bit of a shame though isn't it, as it gives an indication that "customer is always right" is more important than basic human courtesy.

I agree, but to me it is a mere storm in a teacup. the irony is that this incident of a lack of manners has given rise to even worse manners exhibited on this thread.

We at NSC really have no right to provide a 6 page critique of anyone's manners. Let alone be ill mannered while we do it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
NSC lecturing people on showing a fellow human being some common courtesy. Quite funny when you think about it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NSC lecturing people on showing a fellow human being some common courtesy. Quite funny when you think about it.

Not really - because most people know to take banter on an internet message board as tongue in cheek. In public with complete strangers is an entirely different kettle of fish.

At first I found this place surprisingly harsh, but then I just learnt to grow a thick skin and get on with it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not really - because most people know to take banter on an internet message board as tongue in cheek. In public with complete strangers is an entirely different kettle of fish.

At first I found this place surprisingly harsh, but then I just learnt to grow a thick skin and get on with it.

To me the same standards should be held whether conversing on the internet or face to face, clearly it doesn't so I take this " outrage " on here with a pinch of salt and highly hypocritical.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Supermarket checkouts. My favourite!

One thing to say at the start is that if a shop has all its checkouts open I will queue twice round the block and not say a word. However, if a store (yes, Morrisons in Worthing I'm talking about YOU!) has a third of its checkouts open and long queues at every one of them then I'm going to complain until more checkouts are opened.

I don't want to engage in conversation with the checkout staff. Most of them seem to be incapable of multi-tasking; when the chat starts the "beeping" stops...or at least slows right down. It shouldn't take 2/3 times as long to go through the checkout process as it has taken me to go round the store and select my purchases.

Then you get the barrage of questions:-

1. Do I need any bags? Well if I have bags out ready to use then I don't. If I don't have any bags then, unless they are going to give me a crash course in grocery juggling, I obviously do. Cue scrabbling about under the till for the bags that they then feel obliged to open for you.

2. Do I need any help with my packing? When the question was first asked I expected them to summon the work experience lad. But no! They pack it themselves causing even more delays. Personally I find this question, with the inference that I am incapable of packing my own shopping, insulting. Yes, of course ask seniors or those with a disability but to ask everybody? Why?

3. The superfluous questions. Do I want savings stamps/mobile top-up/postage stamps etc etc. You know what? I'm a big boy now and if I DID require anything else, I am perfectly capable of asking for it.

Less needless and pointless chat and more "beeping". Then we can all go and get on with far more important things like fretting why Spanish Dave hasn't had his contract sorted yet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

One thing to say at the start is that if a shop has all its checkouts open I will queue twice round the block and not say a word. However, if a store (yes, Morrisons in Worthing I'm talking about YOU!) has a third of its checkouts open and long queues at every one of them then I'm going to complain until more checkouts are opened.

I don't want to engage in conversation with the checkout staff. Most of them seem to be incapable of multi-tasking; when the chat starts the "beeping" stops...or at least slows right down. It shouldn't take 2/3 times as long to go through the checkout process as it has taken me to go round the store and select my purchases.

1. Do I need any bags? Well if I have bags out ready to use then I don't. If I don't have any bags then, unless they are going to give me a crash course in grocery juggling, I obviously do. Cue scrabbling about under the till for the bags that they then feel obliged to open for you.

2. Do I need any help with my packing? When the question was first asked I expected them to summon the work experience lad. But no! They pack it themselves causing even more delays. Personally I find this question, with the inference that I am incapable of packing my own shopping, insulting. Yes, of course ask seniors or those with a disability but to ask everybody? Why?

3. The superfluous questions. Do I want savings stamps/mobile top-up/postage stamps etc etc. You know what? I'm a big boy now and if I DID require anything else, I am perfectly capable of asking for it.

Less needless and pointless chat and more "beeping". Then we can all go and get on with far more important things like fretting why Spanish Dave hasn't had his contract sorted yet.

You sound like a Larry David style nightmare.

As predicted by me yesterday this will feature on the Jeremy Vine show on R2 at some point in the next couple of hours (he has just announced it). I would love to listen but have some interesting albums on Spotify to catch up with whilst I work.

D

Deleted member 18477

Sainsburys in my town don't surport local events like many of the chains the independent shops are more community spirited but suffer from these big shops killing local business .

that sainsburys in Haywards Heath rakes it in! i say rakes... i mean RAKES it in! ££££££££

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Checkout staff are regularly monitored by management on giving good customer service , if they leave any of the questions out or don't engage the customer in a chat when there is a hold up (price check or customer wants an additional item) they are marked down. Apart from that there is the "mystery shopper" doing random checks and failure to score 100% can lead to disciplinary action.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Checkout staff are regularly monitored by management on giving good customer service , if they leave any of the questions out or don't engage the customer in a chat when there is a hold up (price check or customer wants an additional item) they are marked down. Apart from that there is the "mystery shopper" doing random checks and failure to score 100% can lead to disciplinary action.

Exactly.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I used to work in a supermarket and enjoyed it when customers wanted to talk. However, when the scanning machines came in (this was in the late 1980s), management instigated league tables reporting which cashier had scanned the most items per minute on average. It was carnage - we were all zipping items through the scanner as quickly as we could to be top of the table. Customer service went out of the window. On the original topic however, I agree that rudeness is a bad thing. Whatever did we do before mobile phones? Apart from hang around at the pedestrian precinct on a Saturday wondering where everyone was.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
What a load of crap, the checkout person is paid to checkout the items and take payment not make idle chit chat.

Actually they are!

When they don't ask about the vouchers, Nectar card, number of bags etc.....they get marked down. At the end of the day this could potentially affect the bonus received by all the check out staff in that branch. Imagine if you're the member of staff who didn't smile sincerely enough at the end of the transaction and that small transgression meant less money for everyone!

Sainsbury's staff are regularly subject to "Observations" by their management to make sure that every transaction is being completed the "company way". Then of course there's also the mystery shopper where they're marked as to whether they perform these banal but prerequisite tasks, in the correct order! God forbid they ask for your Nectar card after they distributed the Active Kids vouchers!

In addition there's all the other s**t they have to put up with: People who think their phone conversation is more important than the checkout transaction is only the tip of the iceberg. There's the customers who think that basic hygiene doesn't really apply to them, the blokes that like to try and cop a peep down the checkout girls' blouse or the fine body of men and women who having spent the afternoon in the pub believe themselves to be the masters of wit and repartee rather than just a rather sad old soak with breath that could strip paint.

Try imaging that the check out girl/boy is your mum/sister/dad/brother try and treat them with the decency and politeness they deserve.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In addition there's all the other s**t they have to put up with: People who think their phone conversation is more important than the checkout transaction is only the tip of the iceberg. There's the customers who think that basic hygiene doesn't really apply to them, the blokes that like to try and cop a peep down the checkout girls' blouse or the fine body of men and women who having spent the afternoon in the pub believe themselves to be the masters of wit and repartee rather than just a rather sad old soak with breath that could strip paint.

Try imaging that the check out girl/boy is your mum/sister/dad/brother try and treat them with the decency and politeness they deserve.

This stuff happens all the time in any walk of life. I have to put up with customers being rude to me sometimes because their company pays my company £1000s for a support contract. I deal with some right wankers on a power trip who intentionally throw their weight around just because they can, there's people who are nice as pie to my face and then make snide complaints to their account manager once I'm gone. I deal with it in a professional manner and don't take it personally because it isn't a personal affront to me.

Sometimes you just have to turn the other cheek and get on with your life. The checkout operator decided to start a confrontation with a customer over something that is entirely trivial. What's the point, why not just let people be? I hope she got bollocked.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
idiot checkout person - if I don't want to talk to you, I don't have to

It is called having common courtesy, but no doubt you are too common to realise there is such a thing.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Shoulder against the head if not on hands free.

I'm all for stopping people texting at a dinner table, but to force them to hang up at a shopping till is absurd. There's no reason you can't still greet them and pay the money. It seems far ruder to me that they demand you stop talking before they scan your items- a task which requires no conversing anyway.

Are you sure your head wasn't in your anus, which would have still allowed you to pack the shopping? It is extremely rude to continue talking when you are being served in a shop or elsewhere.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Are you sure your head wasn't in your anus, which would have still allowed you to pack the shopping? It is extremely rude to continue talking when you are being served in a shop or elsewhere.

If you're going to lecture me on what's rude or not, you might want to begin with a different opening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports