Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spike Milligan. Rather funny he was

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
We have come out of an era when this behaviour was deemed acceptable... I think it's a point where we should move on and stop horse whipping ourselves for past generations behaviour that has now generally gone.

Agree , almost all comedians then were telling jokes about coloured people , Irish , Welsh , Scottish etc , even into the 80's . The man was a genius , and went through a lot during his war years , more than most here on NSC.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There are holes in the sky
Where the rain gets in.
The holes are small.
That's why rain is thin.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That, my friend, is a different era, a time of less tolerance and more ignorance. He certainly was not alone on that front.

I was replying to suggestion he was let down by TV and trying to give a reason why, without defending the reasoning.

Not sure if I made the point strong enough, but some of his stuff freaked out the TV authorities in your different era, which possibly explains his somewhat sporadic television career.

I'm not talking about what he got away with, I'm talking very specifically what he didn't get the chance to and you didn't get the chance to see.

Wasn't deemed acceptable - that's the point - Remember exactly what was commissioned at the time and have a thought to why Spikes stuff was pulled.

Non making a judgement, just telling like it is.

He is one of my favourite comedians along with Peter Cook. Not sure I would enjoyed being his neighbour though.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The wiggle woggle said
When I'm standing on my head
I can see the coast of China
And it's very, very red.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Also remeber him telling Wogan "If my mother was alive today she'd have been dead for ten years".

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Casabianca

by British poet Felicia Dorothea Hemans,

The poem opens:
The boy stood on the burning deck
Whence all but he had fled;
The flame that lit the battle's wreck
Shone round him o'er the dead.

But I much preferred Spikes, he parodied the opening of the poem

The boy stood on the burning deck
Whence all but he had fled
Twit!

Spike used frequent the Pub I owned in Sedlescombe, he loved riding with friends of mine on their pony and trap, usually doing a pub crawl in the local area.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agree , almost all comedians then were telling jokes about coloured people , Irish , Welsh , Scottish etc , even into the 80's . The man was a genius , and went through a lot during his war years , more than most here on NSC.

.. yeah, but Spike was attempting to do stuff before that, that the TV authorities got cold feet over. Not passing judgment, it's all on record.

Fascinating character - read a couple of books about him, the war and his up bringing obviously had a massive effect on him - as did his depression. Could be an absolute bastard though, I was shocked in parts.

Full of contradictions, mates with Prince Charles but refused to swear allegiance to the Queen - so died without a British passport. He was born in India and had his British nationality taken away when the rules changed and had to re-apply. As he refused to swear allegiance to a Monarch they wouldn't give him a passport, so he applied for an Irish one and got it.

Dig out his appearance on Room 101 on You Tube - genius.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Some classic Spike....
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.
Spike Milligan

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
Spike Milligan

And God said, 'Let there be light' and there was light, but the Electricity Board said He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.
Spike Milligan

Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?
Spike Milligan

Contraceptives should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Spike Milligan

For ten years Caesar ruled with an iron hand. Then with a wooden foot, and finally with a piece of string.
Spike Milligan

How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven.
Spike Milligan

I can speak Esperanto like a native.
Spike Milligan

I have the body of an eighteen year old. I keep it in the fridge.
Spike Milligan

I shook hands with a friendly Arab. I still have my right arm to prove it.
Spike Milligan

I spent many years laughing at Harry Secombe's singing until somebody told me that it wasn't a joke.
Spike Milligan

I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.
Spike Milligan

I'm a hero with coward's legs.
Spike Milligan

I'm not afraid of dying I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Spike Milligan

Is there anything worn under the kilt? No, it's all in perfect working order.
Spike Milligan

It was a perfect marriage. She didn't want to and he couldn't.
Spike Milligan

It's all in the mind, you know.
Spike Milligan

Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Money couldn't buy friends, but you got a better class of enemy.
Spike Milligan

My Father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic.
Spike Milligan

To Peter Sellers (Detective) "Look Sir, and impression of a heel!"
Sellers "We've got no time for your impressions now, we're looking for clues"
The Case of the Mukinees Falcon (sp?)

The best line ever!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
We have come out of an era when this behaviour was deemed acceptable... I think it's a point where we should move on and stop horse whipping ourselves for past generations behaviour that has now generally gone.

Have we? There are plenty of racist jokes in House and Scrubs. Frankie Boyle also endulges. The only thing thats changed is the political lefts attempt to monopolise humour has failed. Those not on terrestrial TV never where and are never likely to be but still do well with tours and DVD sales. Kevin "bloody" Wilson has sold over a million(Cant remeber the exact figure) and sells out here, Canada and Australia.

I am not horse whipping myself. I do not have any guilt about it. Firstly I am not responsible and secondly I dont consider it a crime anyway.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
One good appendicitis
Or a cure for St. Vitus dance
Pays for a Harley Street surgeon's
Vacation in the South of France.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've never felt finer
Said the king of china
Sitting down to dine
Then he dropped dead
He died, he did
It was only half past nine

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I don't think he could stand football, so unlikely to have any fondness for the Albion.

Im sure in one of Biographies he was qouted as , "I really dont like football but if I did I suppose I would follow Brighton"

In his 'my part in Hitlers downfall' books he is posted to Hailsham I think and when he gets in trouble has to travel to Lewes Road Barracks for his jail sentence.

He used to rent out Landsdown Road in Dublin and run around with a rugby ball, he liked that sport very much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here