Spike Milligan. Rather funny he was

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Today I saw a little worm
Wriggling on his belly
Perhaps he'd like to come inside
And see what's on the telly.

Lived in Winchelsea didn't he? Probably supported the Albion.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
So badly treated by the BBC that it still makes my blood boil! His Q series was by far and away the most progressive comedy of the 70s and early 80s and the BBC just dropped him. Anyone remember the Margaret Thatcher throwing herself off Harrods sketch? Boy was it funny!

RIP Spike you loveable very funny Irishman

Caw said the crow, balls said Milligan!

TNBA

TTF

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lived in Bexhill too, didn't he? Think he's buried there.

Upset the residents of said town by saying it's a cemetery above ground :)

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Classic gravestone inscription..... " I told you I was ill "
Funny man.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Southern Counties | Milligan gets last laugh on grave

Comedy legend Spike Milligan has finally got the last laugh, more than two years after his death.
It follows an agreement with the local diocese over the wording on the headstone of his grave at St Thomas's Church in Winchelsea, East Sussex.
Relatives of the former Goon have now decided that it can bear the star's epitaph: "I told you I was ill."
However, the inscription had to be written in Gaelic in order for it to be approved by the Chichester Diocese.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So badly treated by the BBC that it still makes my blood boil! His Q series was by far and away the most progressive comedy of the 70s and early 80s and the BBC just dropped him. Anyone remember the Margaret Thatcher throwing herself off Harrods sketch? Boy was it funny!

RIP Spike you loveable very funny Irishman

Caw said the crow, balls said Milligan!

TNBA

TTF

Wasn't at times a very nice person though, in fact quite the opposite. Read a few books either about him or mentioning him. At times he was completely impossible.

He also either made or attempted to make some comedies in the 70s/80s that focused on the subject of race in the Till Death Us Do Part style. Problem was (like the series mentioned) whatever the intention the audience response was always going to be ambiguous to say the least. Are you laughing at the English bigots or laughing along with what they are saying ?

I knew of "Curry and Chips" but wasn't away of his other attempts "The Melting Pot" and something called "The Jewel In The Crown".

I think Curry and Chips was listed as one of those 100 TV moments from hell. If you think It Ain't Half Hot Mum is a bit non PC (which I don't) you should see Spike's attempts.

Another Interesting little fact about him is that he died without a British passport (I think)

Last edited:

Oct 2, 2008
Saw him do a one man show at the Gardner Arts Centre at Sussex Uni more years ago than I can remember. In a word....genius. Very talented musician too.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Wasn't at times a very nice person though, in fact quite the opposite. Read a few books either about him or mentioning him. At times he was completely impossible.

Interesting little fact about him is that he died without a British passport (I think)

Granted but he was a manic depressive so that explained a lot.

'I told you I was ill'

superb!

TNBA

TTF

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Some classic Spike....
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.
Spike Milligan

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
Spike Milligan

And God said, 'Let there be light' and there was light, but the Electricity Board said He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.
Spike Milligan

Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?
Spike Milligan

Contraceptives should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Spike Milligan

For ten years Caesar ruled with an iron hand. Then with a wooden foot, and finally with a piece of string.
Spike Milligan

How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven.
Spike Milligan

I can speak Esperanto like a native.
Spike Milligan

I have the body of an eighteen year old. I keep it in the fridge.
Spike Milligan

I shook hands with a friendly Arab. I still have my right arm to prove it.
Spike Milligan

I spent many years laughing at Harry Secombe's singing until somebody told me that it wasn't a joke.
Spike Milligan

I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.
Spike Milligan

I'm a hero with coward's legs.
Spike Milligan

I'm not afraid of dying I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Spike Milligan

Is there anything worn under the kilt? No, it's all in perfect working order.
Spike Milligan

It was a perfect marriage. She didn't want to and he couldn't.
Spike Milligan

It's all in the mind, you know.
Spike Milligan

Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Money couldn't buy friends, but you got a better class of enemy.
Spike Milligan

My Father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic.
Spike Milligan

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
He lived between Udimore and Rye at the top of Dumb Woman Lane, a lane which went down to Winchelsea village. The name of the road is 100% genuine. The best story I heard about him was when a bloke approached him, pointing and saying "I know you, I know who you are!", to which Spike replied: "yes, and I know who I am too, so F*ck off"

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I don't think he could stand football, so unlikely to have any fondness for the Albion.

Capable of genius at times. One of his best poems:

Said Hamlet to Ophelia,
I'll draw a sketch of thee:
What kind of pencil shall I use -
2B, or not 2B?

Today I saw a little worm
Wriggling on his belly
Perhaps he'd like to come inside
And see what's on the telly.

Lived in Winchelsea didn't he? Probably supported the Albion.

Lived near Winchelsea, buried in the Churchyard there with his famous inscription in Gaelic to avoid upsetting anyone (unless they speak Gaelic and are totally devoid of a sense of humour).
Probably not an Albion fan, he was an enthusiastic follower of Rugby and represented the Army in that sport. I believe he was a valued supporter of Rye RFC and I know he was a follower of London Irish because he told me, see below.
A tortured genius whom I had the privilege of meeting and chatting to (albeit briefly, and in a long line with many others) when he was doing book signings at the Waterstones in TW near were I used to work.
Also had issues with his nationality, Irish parents I believe but as he was born in India (his dad was in the the army there) was not British Citizen. When he tried to become one he objected to having to swear an oath of loyalty to the Queen, pointing out that he had seen active service in North Africa and was wounded in the service of the Crown.
One of Mrs. Pottings prize possessions is a letter signed by Spike which accompanied a signed copy of her favourite children's book, his "Badjelly the Witch". The letter hangs on the wall of our downstairs loo and I like to think that Spike would find that funny.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Granted but he was a manic depressive so that explained a lot.

'I told you I was ill'

superb!

TNBA

TTF

Explains some of it (I think), but possibly not all.

As I've said I've read a bit and my conclusion is comedy genius (and I don't use that term lightly), but really not a very nice person at times.

I personally find it quite difficult to understand what he was trying to do with the racially themed stuff. Possibly trying to communicate his own personal demons and contradictions because he openly admitted he was brought up to believe that the white race were superior.

That definitely worked against him. The intentions were far too ambiguous, even in the "un-pc" 70s.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I personally find it quite difficult to understand what he was trying to do with the racially themed stuff. Possibly trying to communicate his own personal demons and contradictions because he openly admitted he was brought up to believe that the white race were superior.

That, my friend, is a different era, a time of less tolerance and more ignorance. He certainly was not alone on that front.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ive read 4 of his memoirs from WW2 and beleive he suffered a form of shell shock during the campaign in Italy. Hes got a point about swearing loyalty to the Queen when hes already shed blood for her.

Yes I agree with most of the sentiments expressed here. totally outsideof the box, did things his way.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
That, my friend, is a different era, a time of less tolerance and more ignorance. He certainly was not alone on that front.

Tolerance is accepting people tell and like racist jokes, ignorance is failing to grasp this point.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Tolerance is accepting people tell and like racist jokes, ignorance is failing to grasp this point.

We have come out of an era when this behaviour was deemed acceptable... I think it's a point where we should move on and stop horse whipping ourselves for past generations behaviour that has now generally gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here