Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spider Bite

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I've seen more spiders around this month than in the rest of the year put together. There's one that lives on the ceiling in the bathroom (harmless, no question) that likes to descend rapidly down to level with my face every time I go to brush my teeth, which is somewhat disconcerting.

Whilst we're on the subject of bitey, stingy things: I came in from work the other night to hear a loud angry buzzing noise coming from behind the kitchen blinds (stop it...). I'd not heard any insect make that sort of noise before, in terms of volume. I couldn't be arsed to deal with it- was about 3am at the time- so I went to shut the blinds properly to make sure whatever it was stayed put.

At which point the largest wasp (or wasp-type creature) I've ever seen emerged and started zooming furiously around the kitchen. I've honestly never seen anything like it, it must have been almost a couple of inches long, far bigger than any normal wasp or bee. I actually thought it was two together for a moment, but before I fled the kitchen in horror, slamming the door behind me, I managed to confirm that it was in fact just one, monstrous thing.

Any idea what the bloody hell it was? There were no more of them, so I kind of assumed it wasn't a queen. It was definitely black with yellow bits, and what looked like quite a large head. Could it have been some kind of hornet? :ohmy:

Giant Asian Hornet?!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I've seen more spiders around this month than in the rest of the year put together. There's one that lives on the ceiling in the bathroom (harmless, no question) that likes to descend rapidly down to level with my face every time I go to brush my teeth, which is somewhat disconcerting.

Whilst we're on the subject of bitey, stingy things: I came in from work the other night to hear a loud angry buzzing noise coming from behind the kitchen blinds (stop it...). I'd not heard any insect make that sort of noise before, in terms of volume. I couldn't be arsed to deal with it- was about 3am at the time- so I went to shut the blinds properly to make sure whatever it was stayed put.

At which point the largest wasp (or wasp-type creature) I've ever seen emerged and started zooming furiously around the kitchen. I've honestly never seen anything like it, it must have been almost a couple of inches long, far bigger than any normal wasp or bee. I actually thought it was two together for a moment, but before I fled the kitchen in horror, slamming the door behind me, I managed to confirm that it was in fact just one, monstrous thing.

Any idea what the bloody hell it was? There were no more of them, so I kind of assumed it wasn't a queen. It was definitely black with yellow bits, and what looked like quite a large head. Could it have been some kind of hornet? :ohmy:

Sounds like a Hornet, hope it hasn't decided to Nest in your vicinity, a friend of ours disturbed a Nest and was stung multiple times which Hospitalised him in the short term and then laid him low for months, absolutely horrible little f*ckers.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom

5d932f38b2c721ed0d1ee90783080c3a.jpg

Hi[emoji41]

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I was bitten by this bad boy a few weeks back when I tried to remove him from his cage to pair him up with a mate. Luckily his relatively mild venom meant it was no worse than a bee sting. Still made me jump though!

IMG_0369.JPG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is grotesque. Seriously, why the frig would you want one of those as a pet. Good god.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But how can you interact with them ? I mean, for an owner to have a relationship with a pet, there's usually 2-way affection. My cockatiel bloody LOVES me, he gets excited when I come in the room, he chirps the songs I've taught him, he wantonly grinds on my head until I swat him off.

A cuffing SPIDER though ? All he wants to do is kill you.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I don't really interact with them, but they are fascinating to watch and after you've cared for them for a while you begin to see them in a different light. Some species are more aggressive than others, this one can be a bit feisty but my other two are like pussy cats.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I got bitten by a false widow earlier on this year. It got me on the ankle and my foot swelled up like a ballon. I was eating Piriton for a couple of weeks afterwards. Nasty little nuggets. They make really messy webs, so you can usually spot where they are.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Someone told me that there was a Hornet in Chichester.

I've seen Hornets in Sussex. Not the Giant Asian ones, just the usual European ones that are more common in France.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I got bitten by a false widow earlier on this year. It got me on the ankle and my foot swelled up like a ballon. I was eating Piriton for a couple of weeks afterwards. Nasty little nuggets. They make really messy webs, so you can usually spot where they are.

Don't know about where you are, but in Newhaven there's not need to spot where they are - because they're everywhere! I think they've eaten all the other spiders.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't know about where you are, but in Newhaven there's not need to spot where they are - because they're everywhere! I think they've eaten all the other spiders.
Loads here in Eastbourne, in my garden, lean to, shed and house. It's the only spider I kill when I see it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The largest population group is in the south east. They're especially noticeable around late summer and autumn as they are at there biggest size.

It's the females that do the nasty biting.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
This morning I was unfortunate enough to be bitten by a False Widow whilst laying in bed. The pain, almost instant was unbelievable. Not only in the massive red blister that appeared on my shoulder but in the pain that shot down my left arm and raising my heart rate. After three hours in A&E I've been let out with antibiotics and other pain relief but I'm still feeling scrambled and sore. I don't recommend getting bitten by a False Widow.

More alarmingly, I was the 3rd person within the past 12 hours who'd been admitted with the same condition, apparently this time of the year the spiders migrate in to houses as its warmer. Be careful everyone, check bed sheets, pyjamas etc as would hate for you or your kids to suffer this.

May I ask if you are in Brighton or Sussex?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here