Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Worcestershire v Sussex at Worcester

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
June is just a couple of weeks away so perhaps it's about time for a post from north of the river about us needing a batting coach?
Seriously though, not renewing my two membership tickets after 10+ years was a big deal for me this spring. However none of the club emails, flyers, invitations, renewal reminders, meeting agendas or even last years accounts seemed to address an underlying issue on the pitch. Basically, how/why did the club manage to conjure such a playing side malaise that we were relegated last season and how would this be addressed both in 2016 and going forward?
Even though I managed only six days of Sussex cricket in 2015, I really wanted to renew; I like watching cricket at Hove and bagging a deckchair on a sunny day is just brilliant, I miss grumbling about the crap view from the members area at Arundel and that Horsham CC could and should do a better job at Cricketfield Lane. Cost wasn't an issue but we're now four or five games in, looking generally uncompetitive (even woeful at times) in the second tier so just maybe the decision had some rationality after all.

I find myself in a similar situation. I decided not to renew my membership after attending a club meeting with members at Horsham last year. Admittedly the primary source of my frustration at that time was Mark Robinson but there seemed to be a genral sense that there was nothing really wrong, that we'd avoid relegation and that even if we were relegated the club were financially sound and could cope with what they anticipated would be a minimal drop in membership. I'm afraid my confidence deteriorated further with the appointment of Mark Davis to replace Robinson and the ongoing over reliance on Nash and Joyce to get runs and Magoffin to get wickets without addressing any of the underlying issues. Ok, I can accept that we are now clealy in a period of transition (not I suspect through choice, I dont think we have any alternative) and that there is an opportunity for some of our more promising youngsters to come through but its going to make for some pretty brutal viewing at times and I'm not prepared to sign up as a member for what I see as incompetent leadership from the top. That said, I'll still go to games, I just wont have access all areas, for what its worth.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
June is just a couple of weeks away so perhaps it's about time for a post from north of the river about us needing a batting coach?
Seriously though, not renewing my two membership tickets after 10+ years was a big deal for me this spring. However none of the club emails, flyers, invitations, renewal reminders, meeting agendas or even last years accounts seemed to address an underlying issue on the pitch. Basically, how/why did the club manage to conjure such a playing side malaise that we were relegated last season and how would this be addressed both in 2016 and going forward?
Even though I managed only six days of Sussex cricket in 2015, I really wanted to renew; I like watching cricket at Hove and bagging a deckchair on a sunny day is just brilliant, I miss grumbling about the crap view from the members area at Arundel and that Horsham CC could and should do a better job at Cricketfield Lane. Cost wasn't an issue but we're now four or five games in, looking generally uncompetitive (even woeful at times) in the second tier so just maybe the decision had some rationality after all.

Surely losing the Horsham fixture was a material issue for you, Alex, given your location?

PG

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like it rained quite heavily earlier and showers passing through. Might save our shower of a team from getting beat again.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Looks like it rained quite heavily earlier and showers passing through. Might save our shower of a team from getting beat again.

BBC weather has white fluffy clouds until 15:00, when it will chuck down, probably just after rabbit and ferret have trudged their sorry way back into the hutch.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wright and Jordan big misses and the young bowlers have been thrown in.

This is true and we couldn't have expected that, nor could we have guessed that a player with a record like Taylor would be such a flop.

But there have been some poor performances from other players this year: Wells and Machan should be kicking on, Brown is a stand-in captain and needs to show some resolve and the Goff, Robinson and Shahzad have been ineffectual.

Thankfully Joyce and Nash have done the business or we'd be totally screwed ... but some of the others need to step up

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sussex battling... 157-3(f/o), trailing by 56... Taylor 31* Hatchett 6* with 89 overs remaining in the day.

Rain in the air apparently...

and they are off... for now!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
No covers on... Worcester players hanging around on the outfield trying to encourage the umpires to get on with it...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sounds like play will resume shortly... if they can dig the Sussex batsmen out of the dressing room...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Horsham CC could and should do a better job at Cricketfield Lane.

Well you won't need to moan about that this year will you?

Seriously, if we ever do get the Cricket Festival back to Horsham what would this 'better job' look like?

Meanwhile this looks like a nailed on draw as Worcester can't prise out our Nightwatchman.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
52 partnership (17.5 overs) for Taylor 45* and Hatchett 17* :clap2:

Sussex 183-3(f/o) (82.1 overs) trailing by 30, 78.5 overs remaining

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Taylor gone for 62 (114 balls, 9 fours)... the door is ajar

231-5.. Sussex LEAD by just 18 with 5 wickets in hand and 69 overs remaining in the day.

#prayforrain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here