Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contributiion"

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This. We're either all in together or not at all. I'd support scrapping the transport levy rather than an weird two tier system.

Scrapping the transport levy is fine up to the point the City Council stick their oar in and throw a wobbly over the City's green credentials going out the window.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry I'm not v clued up on this. Do the club HAVE to pay a travel subsidy to Southern Rail / the bus co etc? I assume it was part of the planning etc but isn't it their fault if the station can't manage x thousand fans having to buy a ticket and use barriers?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The cost of the travel to the club is in the accounts, I haven't got the figures to hand. It was about a million as other FM quoted earlier in this thread.
Do you really believe the club make profit out of the travel subsidy?

Nobody believes that. As I said earlier, you are missing the point entirely.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I thought part of the reason for bringing in Barber was to improve on the club's previously fairly shocking PR record. If so, he's failed totally. Talk about how to lose friends- it seems that almost every day he manages to upset one group or another-staff, supporters, management,

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If you want to play with the big boys you have to spend a bit extra with the pocket money.

Thats not what FFP is about though is it, you are supposed to play within your means not screw your fans for extra money so you can risk buying some players in the hope of promotion to be able to screw your fans some more.

In fact all the cost cutting to make FFP work and the hints of a cheaper younger squad despite having a debt free brand new stadium is going to mean further cutting if attendances drop

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The cost of the travel to the club is in the accounts, I haven't got the figures to hand. It was about a million as other FM quoted earlier in this thread.

That's a no then. Specifically you are trusting snother poster on your first point and speculating on your second.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How about instead of being paid, for example, £10,000 a week they get paid £9,620 a week. Then they will have covered the cost of 80 people on a coach and I doubt they would even ****ing notice!

Which doesnt look so obvious if you offered it as a yearly wage ie £500,240 instead of £520,000 but more could be saved by offering a round £500,000 per year.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(

One million divided by say 17000, to allow for full-price and concessionary ST's, comes out at £59 each. So even if the actual cost is closer to £1.5 million, it would come in at under £90 for each ST. On that basis, with the extra money they would take in, I would say that the club would more than recoup the travel cost outlay, plus a wee bit over :wink:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Why not just abandon the transport levy? You now can't park anywhere near the Amex unless you are 1901 or pay for the uni or the Bridge car park. No dropping off should be easily enforceable on the A27. So what's the problem? Other than walking or cycling you can only realistically get there by train, bus, coach or park and ride. Drop the levy (which is an unfair tax as everyone pays it, not everyone benefits from it) and then everyone just pays the actual fare/fee for the mode of travel they use.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contri

One million divided by say 17000, to allow for full-price and concessionary ST's, comes out at £59 each. So even if the actual cost is closer to £1.5 million, it would come in at under £90 for each ST. On that basis, with the extra money they would take in, I would say that the club would more than recoup the travel cost outlay, plus a wee bit over :wink:

I may be wrong but I seem to recall the accounts telling us we spend 2m a season on travel.

The club do lose a lot of money paying the travel companies, this switch will not make the club any money at all, just slightly reduce the loss
As a transport operator, with some knowledge of the cost of running buses (and hiring in other companies to run them), I've been giving some thought to this question.

Without knowing exactly how much Brighton & Hove Buses were charging the Club to provide the Special Buses, and without knowing exactly how much Seagulls Travel are paying their contractors to run the replacement services, but making an informed guess ... I would estimate that the Club are probably saving themselves something around £50,000 a year by pulling out of the deal with B&H Buses, and transferring a risk to Seagulls Travel (who will pass on most of their costs to supporters).

The Club is quids in, unless ... the effect of the change is to reduce the volume of match ticket sales at the stadium. In round figures, £50,000 worth of ticket sales (allowing for concessions, children, etc) probably amounts to about 100 tickets a game.

Of course, if the replacement buses run with markedly lower numbers of passengers (quite possible if significant numbers of existing Special Bus users switch to B&H network buses), Seagulls Travel will end up losing money.

There are, therefore, three sorts of potential losers from this new arrangement ... Seagulls Travel, the supporters who will be paying more for their travel, and the Club. But the Club's risk is confined to the potential that they might sell fewer match tickets (and that effect is unmeasurable, of course, and will never appear in any statement of accounts).

Outcome ... the Club will be able to claim that "costs have come down".

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contri

Why not just abandon the transport levy? You now can't park anywhere near the Amex unless you are 1901 or pay for the uni or the Bridge car park. No dropping off should be easily enforceable on the A27. So what's the problem? Other than walking or cycling you can only realistically get there by train, bus, coach or park and ride. Drop the levy (which is an unfair tax as everyone pays it, not everyone benefits from it) and then everyone just pays the actual fare/fee for the mode of travel they use.

I think one of the problems with this is the huge numbers travelling by train. They wouldn't want the crowding at the ticket booths/gates as people go through the barriers etc.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thats not what FFP is about though is it, you are supposed to play within your means not screw your fans for extra money so you can risk buying some players in the hope of promotion to be able to screw your fans some more.

In fact all the cost cutting to make FFP work and the hints of a cheaper younger squad despite having a debt free brand new stadium is going to mean further cutting if attendances drop
It was more of a comparison to playing League 1/League 2 at Withdean and playing in The Championship at The Amex. Staying within the FFP guidelines will still cost a fortune.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think one of the problems with this is the huge numbers travelling by train. They wouldn't want the crowding at the ticket booths/gates as people go through the barriers etc.

Club could just say it's up to the train company to find a solution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here