Spanish tippy tappy gets PULVERISED

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Replay of 2010 World Cup final. A lot of motivation today for the Dutch.

Dutch have moved on and maybe Spain are ageing now. However there's a long way to go and both should qualify. Spain v Chile will be the key game now (chile 3- Australia 1, as I write!)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Spain were a little lucky with their World Cup win - The Dutch that day decided to kick their way to the trophy and they paid the price when they had a player sent off.

Today they played the right way and smashed Spain
spot on, never understood why the Dutch played the way they did in 2010. Hopefully Chile can beat Spain.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The Netherlands is the actual country. Holland is a region in the Netherlands, but many people mistakenly call the country Holland (because it contains the major cities of Amsterdam and Rotterdam)

I asked a dutch colleague about whether they mind which term is used. He said not at all, he made the comparison to the UK and Britain, he was slightly geographicaly incorrect but I got his point.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Beaten 5-1 by the Dutch. Has Spain's boat finally come in after a decade of tippy tappy bolllox?
Where was the Plan B?
The Dutch tore them a new one.

Insane.

Credit to the Dutch last night, they were excellent. The Spanish team looks a bit creaky round the edges and it was never going to run for ever.

That said, one minute I was cheering a beautiful pass from Iniesta that should have meant Spain went 2-0 up. The next RVP was flying through the air to score that beauty. Spain fell apart after that but I wonder if the Dutch had gone 2 down if they could have got back from that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Spain were a little lucky with their World Cup win - The Dutch that day decided to kick their way to the trophy and they paid the price when they had a player sent off.

Today they played the right way and smashed Spain

Wouldn't say they were lucky. They managed to keep playing through all the physical violence and the constant whinging from the Dutch. Brazil couldn't keep their heads in the QFs was it? And lost.

But yeah, what happened with that Dutch team that year? They were horrible to watch. Now they've gone back to playing football thank god.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Spain were not helped by a goal keeper well past his best and told so at Real Madrid by Mourinhio. He should have done better than just lay on the ground for 3 of the goals.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
There is alot of running to be done to make tiki taka work and this bunch don't have the legs that they used to. Not a fan of their style but there is no doubt it can work with the right players.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The stats from the game underlined what SH has been saying (ie that you don't need total possession to win games so long as you convert from defence to attack with pace and are clinical in your finishing)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I wouldn't write Spain off. I love Tika Taka, they are by far the greatest international team I've ever seen and they still have oustanding players. The main reason they lost last night was Iker Casillas, he is past it and De Gea should be playing.

And for those saying that Spanish football has had it's day, I might remind you that last month the Champions league was contested by 2 Spanish teams with 12 Spaniards involved in the match.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The Dutch invented tippy tape football and took it to Spain who refined it, van gaal knows most of the Spanish team inside out. Spain have too many players coming to the end of the prime at the same time and it s showed last night. Spain were poor and the Dutch were up for it . Spain are not the dominant force they were but they are not crap.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Spain will probably get better as the tournament progresses as they will obviously qualify as runners up. Netherlands have always played good football with a quick change to attack this has been shown for the past 40+ years.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Netherlands is the actual country. Holland is a region in the Netherlands, but many people mistakenly call the country Holland (because it contains the major cities of Amsterdam and Rotterdam)

Cheers for the info Buffalo, it was actually a gag from old BBC football show Fantasy Football.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The stats from the game underlined what SH has been saying

Del Bosque himself said last week that he wasn't blind to the rigidity of tiki-taka as a system and effectively said something very similar to Hyppia's first conference.
“We are not Talibans with just one way of playing...Possession without having depth doesn’t have any point. For that reason we are working so that the team can pressure to win back possession and then as a group attack.
“Football is played in many different ways and there isn’t just one. We don’t have a magic formula, we have a plan based on the players that we have available. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t others who are just as good and give results.“

via http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/09/vicente-del-bosque-tiki-taka-talibans-spain

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Tippy tappy football was done for two years ago. We are just one of the last to realize it. 75% possession of a football is bloody boring, if it's all inside you own half with the opposition all in front of you.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
As someone said on Twitter..... The spanish have returned total football to the Dutch after a 10 year loan. There was significant late fee's attached though.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The World Cup has made me remember how much more exciting football is when it has goals in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports