Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Space news [ISS, SpaceX etc]

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
SpaceX is targeting Friday, June 26 at 4:18 p.m. EDT, 20:18 UTC, for launch of its tenth Starlink mission, which will include 57 Starlink satellites and 2 satellites from BlackSky, a Spaceflight customer. Falcon 9 will lift off from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Another 57 Starlink satellites !!

The full Starlink project is estimated at £10b and will [try to] make terrestrial broadband redundant - but to get their money back what will they charge for their satellite broadband?
Whilst I'll confess to not knowing the full value of these, how close are we getting to these becoming space pollution?
There are already almost 5,000 satellites in lower earth orbit with more than half of these now non-operational space junk.
Starlink project intends to deploy thousands more satellites.
I can see a point in the future where there are so many satellites that trying to thread a space craft through to get beyond earth orbit risks a collision ...

Last edited:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
how close are we getting to these becoming space pollution?
There are already almost 5,000 satellites in lower earth orbit with more than half of these now non-operational space junk.
Starlink project intends to deploy thousands more satellites.
I can see a point in the future where there are so many satellites that trying to thread a space craft through to get beyond earth orbit risks a collision ...

https://maps.esri.com/rc/sat2/index.html

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

When do you think ? Will be too light to spot it after launch (usually about 15 mins before it goes over us - was looking for SL 5 last night but even at 10.15pm it was too light, particularly as the path was slightly to the North of us).....guessing c90 mins after on second pass maybe ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When do you think ? Will be too light to spot it after launch (usually about 15 mins before it goes over us - was looking for SL 5 last night but even at 10.15pm it was too light, particularly as the path was slightly to the North of us).....guessing c90 mins after on second pass maybe ?

Oh sorry, I thought he meant online!

The launch has been scrubbed for today, unfortunately. No word on rescheduling.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
All of the state-of-the-art technology involved in this process, and what do NASA use for surveillance?

A license-built version of the English Electric Canberra, designed in the late 1940s.

If it ain't broke...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Parachutes have deployed correctly, all looking good.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
4CD442C5-9B01-43A3-A4B5-9D9F13CE71CC.jpeg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really impressive - what did they actually do in the space station? My mrs is really into it and thinks I’m taking the piss so won’t answer (or she doesn’t really know)...

Splashdown is so American :lol:

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
This is still my favorite gif ever. It shouldn’t be possible except for in a movie. I’m both stunned and depressed at how much smarter some people are than myself.

spacex-falcon-heavy-double-landing.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here