Southwick

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Why the glebe Darren ?
Better off at eastbrook primary that's just been made an academy this year
My wife is premesis manager there and facilities are excellent now plus the use of an indoor swimming pool

That school is terrible. Are you aware it was on special measures from Ofsted last year?

I live on the boarder of Southwick and Shoreham, southwick is a nice place but the square is outdated.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I had a wife and kiddywinks then placs like Portslade, Southwick etc may be an option. Fine, a lot worse places to live but let's not make out it's the Sussex of dreams eh.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That school is terrible. Are you aware it was on special measures from Ofsted last year?

I live on the boarder of Southwick and Shoreham, southwick is a nice place but the square is outdated.

Strangely, my work colleague has a daughter at that school, and many parents believe that the special measures thing was politically motivated - in order to push the school towards academy status.

Her daughter is happy, and the parents are struggling to see the nature of the problems, she says.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Strangely, my work colleague has a daughter at that school, and many parents believe that the special measures thing was politically motivated - in order to push the school towards academy status.

Her daughter is happy, and the parents are struggling to see the nature of the problems, she says.

I have heard bad things sadly. Because of that I wouldn't recommend, especially with Gleeb around the corner, which is very credible.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've been to most of these places and decided not to live there. How else would you decide to live in a place? Just live anywhere, shithole or not because otherwise it's preconception. What is one supposed to do? Live everywhere in the UK before settling down? That's barmy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Which is mostly the point. You get a house, garden and parking space. Most singles and childless couples would be happy to forgo that to be in nicer Brighton or Hove but as soon as you have kids it becomes more of a consideration. Portslade and Southwick I would expect to be more popular than Whitehawk or Hollingbury because the transport links are better. If you're looking for a lot of house for your money you could do a lot worse. If you're looking to w*** yourself silly over performance art and the latest organic gojo-berry store then less so.

I missed this first time round.

That's pretty much it. We're all at different points in life and where I am right now, the things we want are:

4 (reasonable sized) bedrooms
A decent rear garden (preferably West or South facing)
Off street parking (preferably a garage too)
A 'heart of the home' kitchen/diner
Ideally a utility room and a study/office

There's not too much of that in central Brighton from what I can see, at least not on what I can or will pay.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have heard bad things sadly. Because of that I wouldn't recommend, especially with Gleeb around the corner, which is very credible.

A mate - and I mean going back 20 years - moved his daughter out of Eastbrook to my son's school and can't believe how much better the new school is for her. I know he'd never consider going back. He did two parties for her birthdays, one while she was at Eastbrook and one while she was at the new school. The latter party, he concluded, had only three main differences; the parents RSVPd, the parents attached a card to the present so you knew who to thank and, at the second party, no one bitched about it on Facebook afterwards.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That's pretty much it. We're all at different points in life and where I am right now, the things we want are:

There's not too much of that in central Brighton from what I can see, at least not on what I can or will pay.

My sister has just sold the house you want, in Charmandean Road, in Worthing!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Damn. Ours in on the market. We have the middle three things but too few bedrooms and no office. Which is why ours is on the market.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

That was pretty much my wish list two years ago, except we kept the search area to Shoreham Beach and at a push the town. We got most of it in the end, but needed a messy extension to make it happen.

Why not post a ballpark budget and let the NSC collective, vie to see who is Phil and who is Kirsty ?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

What about THIS

You can't knock the name :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

You missed "wow factor" and "character features", otherwise it's a Kirstie & Phil full house.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have lived in Southwick since I was 13, a few more than 30 years :( . Here's my take on it;

Schools: Eastbrook was very good when my children were there, unfortunately the local vicar in the methodist church didn't get on with the schoold head, so she left. The school then merged with Fishersgate. Friends of mine have kids there and they say it has gone down hill big time. Glebe, my two younger brothers went there 30 years ago but nobody I know since, so cannot offer comments. Shoreham Academy, knocked down the old school and built a fantastic new one, it is only a shame that the teachers didn't get knocked down with it. If your children are in the top 10% for their year, they will do marvelously, just hope they aren't further down. They are now an Academy and looking after their own budget, god knows what they will do with it because they have consistently said we have not paid for such and such trips etc. when we have not only email prove from them but they have an online system that shows it! I am a little bitter about the school so others may offer a different opinion.

Area, there are a number of nice roads where you can get 4 bedrooms or enough room to build in loft etc, try Croft Avenue, Oldfield Crescent, St Julians Lane, Park Lane, Roman Crescent or around the Green to name just a few and they are all a couple of minutes walk to the Square. These are the most expensive in the area but there is a reason for that. Do not look south of the station. King Charles II apparently took refuge on a cottage on the Green, if it is good enough for Royals it is good enough for me.

Pubs; My local is The Cricketers, so I may be biased here, it has always been the best and most popular pub around, at least for one reason because it is on the Green. I have been drinking there for 30 years! The Ship, drink there off and on, if you like real ale and old fashioned pubs this may be for you, don't worry about the dirty classes :D. Pebbles on the Port (it's at the Lady Bee Marina in the harbour), live music most Sundays and if you go there on a sunny day it is like being in Spain. Romans, landlord left last Sunday and was/is a jerk. A number of friends go there but I have never liked the atmosphere or the beer (especially the prices) but this may change now he has gone. Schooner, again a number of friends go here although I haven't for a long time but here it is on the up. The Royal George, technically Shoreham but just don't eat there, enough said! Shoreham is one stop on the train or around £7 taxi with many many pub's and I don't know if it still is but had the most pubs for the population of the town in all of Britain (used to be 32 I think), a few have shut so not sure if it still is but trust there are a lot!

Area, all the shops you could need in the Square plus Marks, Tesco's and Next on your doorstep. Four or five stops on the train and your in Brighton for shopping etc. Football, no problem, mid-week games, stay till the end have another beer, stroll to the station and home before 11pm.

Ignore Nibble :thumbsup:

Any more info, let me know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports