Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I do not understand why anyone would want to moce to Southwick or Portslade apart from cost. That whole area is grim.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I do not understand why anyone would want to moce to Southwick or Portslade apart from cost. That whole area is grim.

Compared to what ? Always makes me laugh when people slag off these kind of places ie lancing , littlehampton , portslade etc .

Hardly no go police areas with a gang culture , race issues and poverty .

Put these places in some areas of the country and would be luxury .

We are lucky

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Compared to what ? Always makes me laugh when people slag off these kind of places ie lancing , littlehampton , portslade etc .

Hardly no go police areas with a gang culture , race issues and poverty .

Put these places in some areas of the country and would be luxury .

We are lucky

Dull, uninspiring, bad architecture, the list goes on. It's not all about crime rates. Of all th eplaces a person could CHOOSE to live, this area baffles me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Which is mostly the point. You get a house, garden and parking space. Most singles and childless couples would be happy to forgo that to be in nicer Brighton or Hove but as soon as you have kids it becomes more of a consideration. Portslade and Southwick I would expect to be more popular than Whitehawk or Hollingbury because the transport links are better. If you're looking for a lot of house for your money you could do a lot worse. If you're looking to w*** yourself silly over performance art and the latest organic gojo-berry store then less so.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the blocks of flats to the south of Southwick station give a wrong impression of the area, they look like something that has been transplanted from Communism Eastern Europe and are a dumping ground for the Worlds anti social element

That's Fishersgate, isn't it?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Which is mostly the point. You get a house, garden and parking space. Most singles and childless couples would be happy to forgo that to be in nicer Brighton or Hove but as soon as you have kids it becomes more of a consideration. Portslade and Southwick I would expect to be more popular than Whitehawk or Hollingbury because the transport links are better. If you're looking for a lot of house for your money you could do a lot worse. If you're looking to w*** yourself silly over performance art and the latest organic gojo-berry store then less so.

Well quite. I don't so much want performance art and berry drinks, just be nice to have something a bit more inspiring. All the plusses you mentioned are exactly that but let's not try and make it out to be something it isn't. It's a rather grim place to look at.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That's Fishersgate, isn't it?

As you stand on the platform at Southwick and look south towards the harbour you see blocks of flats that wouldn't look out of place in Communism Moscow or Warsaw and seem to be used as a dumping ground, if you were travelling by train to Southwick and that was your first look you would get back on the train and move on

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Well quite. I don't so much want performance art and berry drinks, just be nice to have something a bit more inspiring. All the plusses you mentioned are exactly that but let's not try and make it out to be something it isn't. It's a rather grim place to look at.

That's possibly so if driving along the coast road past the uninspiring blocks of 50/60's blocks etc. Behind that are some really lovely streets around the Green as previously mentioned.

Don't know if you've lived in this area with first-hand knowledge but I've only lived here for the past three years and dispelled my previously-held view of the area.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

The funny thing is that due to a postcode anomaly "Sleb Row" - the massive houses on the front of the Hove end of the port by the Lagoon with the private beaches - are in Portslade. FBS had to send Woody to Portslade Infants

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The funny thing is that due to a postcode anomaly "Sleb Row" - the massive houses on the front of the Hove end of the port by the Lagoon with the private beaches - are in Portslade. FBS had to send Woody to Portslade Infants

He didn't HAVE to, did he? He had the means to send him wherever he wanted. He CHOSE to, and good on him.

theboybilly

The best move I ever made was moving from South East London to Shoreham in 1999 (actually to Brighton in 1997, then Shoreham) I love the whole area along the coast for different reasons the main one being that I can walk down the road and not feel threatened (try that in Plumstead or Woolwich) I realise that certain parts are a little jaded and some of the port area is ugly but even that has a certain something going for it. I don't have to go too far to find a decent pub and it would seem the pubs that are closing are the one's I wouldn't go in anyway so no loss there. The Brighton area is a great place to live, I thoroughly recommend it.
Southwick's okay....I very nearly bought a house opposite the Romans but in the end had a proper result with my move to Shoreham.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose the advantage of living in Southwick is that you get to say you reside in West Sussex, rather than the inferior eastern county, or Brighton & Hove.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He didn't HAVE to, did he? He had the means to send him wherever he wanted. He CHOSE to, and good on him.

It's only now that it occurs to me that the child is called Woody Cook. Which is almost funny. Although not as almost funny as Cook 'n Ball.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Drama over - I'm told the bedrooms of this particular property are on the small side.

Keep scapping though.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
It's decent, Romans is the main pub for Brighton fans, average price for pints. Cricketers isn't too bad, both pubs are decent for food.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Shoreham is nice. I find the beach side a bit creepy for some reason but the old town is lovely.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's like a thrilling reverse version of Escape To The Country.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Yes he chose secular state education and good on him I agree. Once you've made that choice, given how oversubscribed West Hove and St Peters are and that, at the time, Benfield wasn't all through, that was the only school you were left with. Clearly Fatboy has a higher opinion of Portslade than Nibble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here