Southwick Tunnel - AVOID !

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
You seem to get different contrasts of speed here. People doing 40mph on the inside, with 80 mph + on the overtaking lane, not a good mix.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Maybe it's because it's built like a grown up Scalextric track with two banked lanes, rises and falls, adverse cambers and woefully inadequate central drainage for a 'new' road?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
4 car prang just before Westbound entrance. 30 mins ago down to one lane , minor damage, 2 up the bank & 1 about turn in central barrier

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Maybe it's time for the Highways Agency to invest in inflatable barriers on that stretch of road

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Driving conditions were abysmal today. So many idiots on the roads not adjusting their driving to the conditions.

TWO cars (one following the other) turned off early and passed through the mini layby before the Albourne turning and whizzed back on to the A23.

I spoke to the police about three triangular digging signs which were lying in the middle of the M25 between jct 12 & 13 (southbound) - not a single person had reported it - despite cars having to swerve to avoid.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I would imagine that most of the accidents happen on the west bound downhill side of the tunnel where you can really pick up speed, and the combination of undue care and attention, speed, inexperienced driving and weather conditions is a recipe for potential accidents.

They could include a neon sign on the tunnel stating how many accidents have happened there with the latest one dated. I don’t know if there have been any fatalities there but if there have been it should be included in the display.

Jul 7, 2003
I would imagine that most of the accidents happen on the west bound downhill side of the tunnel where you can really pick up speed, and the combination of undue care and attention, speed, inexperienced driving and weather conditions is a recipe for potential accidents.

You'd imagine but you'd be wrong. That nice long drag is generally safer (apart from dozy truck drivers) and they often have the mobile camera at the bottom of the hill to give them plenty of time to line up people picking up speed down the hill.

The majority of recent accidents have been just before the tunnel heading west. It is twisty, curvy and some think the camber is all wrong. However, the road itself isn't unsafe - there are too many people out there who either drive too fast or without paying attention to the conditions. Have seen numerous vehicles up on that bank near the tunnel entrance in the last six months. Most seem to have taken the left hand curve too fast and bounced off of the central reservation.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
You'd imagine but you'd be wrong. That nice long drag is generally safer (apart from dozy truck drivers) and they often have the mobile camera at the bottom of the hill to give them plenty of time to line up people picking up speed down the hill.

The majority of recent accidents have been just before the tunnel heading west. It is twisty, curvy and some think the camber is all wrong. However, the road itself isn't unsafe - there are too many people out there who either drive too fast or without paying attention to the conditions. Have seen numerous vehicles up on that bank near the tunnel entrance in the last six months. Most seem to have taken the left hand curve too fast and bounced off of the central reservation.

No, no. It's the aliens, I tell you. The aliens. We're all doomed:)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Another crash on the Westbound side, according to Brighton and Hove Buses

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To me, this seems the most sensible solution. I think it is a perfectly safe stretch of road and I use it most days, I can only assume it is speed and carelessness.

You would have to be doing stupid speeds to come a cropper there, it's very odd though.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Surely the recent spate of crashes have to be a statistical oddity? The conditions are no worse than normal, the road hasn't changed and, presumably, the tunnel hasn't mysteriously narrowed so...yeah, very odd.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Surely the recent spate of crashes have to be a statistical oddity? The conditions are no worse than normal, the road hasn't changed and, presumably, the tunnel hasn't mysteriously narrowed so...yeah, very odd.

Apart from the constant pissing rain and poor visibility for two months solid!

*edit* Just read the Argus story, pissed up driver hit the barrier, no other cars involved :drink::eek::facepalm:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Delays again this morning, broken down vehicle Westbound.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's quite simple in my mind.

- The speed limit is too high (should be 50 through the tunnel IMO)
- You can still (for some reason) legally change lanes
- The camber in the road is pretty shit
- People drive too fast
- People aren't very good at driving
- The speed difference between the idiots (85mph+) and the old dears in their Honda Civics (35mph) is far too high on a road with such little margin for error.

The authorities have got to think of something to stop the number of accidents though, it's getting silly.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Apart from the constant pissing rain and poor visibility for two months solid!

*edit* Just read the Argus story, pissed up driver hit the barrier, no other cars involved :drink::eek::facepalm:

This is why I hate all car drivers. I am fed up with these pissed up idiots driving around trying to kill themselves.

Absolute nonsense of course, but quite typical of the crap that is aimed at cyclists, all too frequently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports