Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick Tunnel - AVOID !

D

Deleted member 22389

What the hell is going on recently....it seems there's an accident once a week there!

Too many cars end of. I like to go for a walk after work if I can. I cross the road and wait on the Island in the middle. Sometimes I am standing there for 2-3 minutes. It's just car after car after car, it drives me mad, it shouldn't be like this. Driving even worse, trying to cross the road. Now I just drive down to the nearest roundabout. Roads are bad now what's it going to be like in say another 10 yeers?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This one is very common, the rest are probably no more than you would expect on a dual carriageway, where traffic slows very quickly, approaching Lancing.

Approaching the Southwick tunnel from the West above 70Mph is really not a good idea, the road bends and drops quite suddenly and at one point only the exit tunnel is visible in the hill. Anyone going too fast and not really concentrating, can get a nasty shock as the road suddenly curves to the left and they plough into the central reservation. I had a car do this in front of me about 2 years ago. It then span back across the two lanes in front of me and ended up on the bank, facing the wrong way.

Crikey, I must have been driving through a different tunnel then for the last few years ? The tunnel I have used hundreds of times is easily driveable at 70 MPH in both directions. You would have to be driving like a nucking futter to come off the road unless you are overtaking dangerously or on the wrong end of a dodgy overtaking maneuver.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Another shift change and new supplies delivered tonight to the secret base. Or maybe they are just changing the light bulbs for the 6th time this year?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Another shift change and new supplies delivered tonight to the secret base. Or maybe they are just changing the light bulbs for the 6th time this year?

If its secret, how you know about it and now so do all the other readers of this thread?
Not very secret.

I know where HMRC's business disaster recovery data centre is located, but I'm keeping that a secret ....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If its secret, how you know about it and now so do all the other readers of this thread?
Not very secret.

I know where HMRC's business disaster recovery data centre is located, but I'm keeping that a secret ....

So do I

Mhwaaaaah

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not a badly designed road at all, it meets all approved standards.

Generally speaking, most of the crashes that happen on it are caused by human error, simple as. Either a lack of anticipation, or driving inappropriately for whatever conditions are present at the time.

Yes, you might get the occasional tyre blowout or similar, but the vast majority are quite simply human error.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not a badly designed road at all, it meets all approved standards.

Generally speaking, most of the crashes that happen on it are caused by human error, simple as. Either a lack of anticipation, or driving inappropriately for whatever conditions are present at the time.

Yes, you might get the occasional tyre blowout or similar, but the vast majority are quite simply human error.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It does seem to be getting more regular. However, things have been running through there quite smoothly for years up until the last 18 months.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Every time the adverts come on it's 'Who Killed the F*ing Zutons', I'm not buying it on principle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here